Caesar: Conquest of Gaul» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone here think that a Caesar Deluxe from GMT would sell? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C T
Peru
California
flag msg tools
I'm really hoping that GMT one of these days will combine Conquest of Gaul, Great Battles of Julius Caesar:Roman Civil Wars, and Caesar in Alexandria, including all of the various expansions and C3i addons all into one package similar to Alexander Deluxe.

How do you guys feel? Just putting this out there incase other people feel the same and perhaps GMT will see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
It would probably sell.

However, there is a very long list of new games coming from and GMT that I would like to see published before this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keeler
Germany
Mittelbrunn
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Conquest of Gaul was my first GBoH game. It was a struggle to learn the Roman command rules, but once I did, I was hooked. I've since added SPQR Deluxe (thumbs up) and Chariots of Fire (thumbs down) to my GBoH collection. As Conquest of Gaul is still the only Caesar game I own, I would be interested in a "Caesar Deluxe" on one condition:

They need to seriously work on the scenario balance in Conquest of Gaul. It is just too easy for the Romans to prevail. I understand that Romans generally did prevail, but the scenarios should have just enough balance to force the Roman player to be smart in using his advantages in order to prevail. As they are, the Roman just absorbs attacks, rallies when he needs to, and knows that his attacks will win in the end. I like the game mechanics of Roman command, Barbarian ferocity and impetuosity, etc, but the those scenarios need some serious work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carlson
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, what don't you like about Chariots of Fire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Myers
United States
Spring Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Mengle
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caesar: Conquest of Gaul went out of print fairly recently and IIRC hung around for a while. Thematically it might be better combined with The Siege of Alesia, which is well out of print.

Combining The Great Battles of Julius Caesar: The Civil Wars 48-45 B.C. and Caesar in Alexandria along with the expansions seems like a natural combination.

I would buy both boxes; the only thing I have of the lot is Conquest of Gaul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keeler
Germany
Mittelbrunn
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
pdcarlson wrote:

I haven't yet played a lot of Chariots of Fire, but at the least the first several scenarios seem weak; overly simple and not interesting. The Conquest of Gaul scenarios are epic battles that I get excited about playing, even if they are terribly unbalanced. The SPQR Deluxe battles feel even more epic; they are true clashes of complex armies that feel important and invite exploration of the history of the battle and ways to win from each side. The first several scenarios of Chariots of Fire are small, simple and don't capture my interest and attention that way. I'm hoping for more from later scenarios, but so far I am disappointed in it. The plays that I have done so far leave me with a feeling of "so what?" I'm ready to move onto another title and period as soon as I've finished a single scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I'm still waiting for SPQR to get the treatment they gave Alexander the Great The Great Battles of Alexander: Macedonian Art of War. It's sitting at 444 in GMT P500 program and I am waiting on Cataphract to get a reprint in their P500 program it's sitting at 477 before anything else in the GBOH is even considered to be reprinted. Hopefully we will see the numbers of both those games on the P500 continue to rise but's a slow rise at best, usually only 3-4(on a very good week) being added to their p500 numbers each week, mostly it's just 2-3 on average, that is if they don't lose some pre-orders in some weeks as well.

turks1966

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Webb
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
I would actually prefer they create some new titles or at least new expansions with new content. They could easily expand Devil's Horsemen to cover the war in China, Subotai's raids west and the Battle of Mohi Heath, or the wars in Indochina/Burma. If they wanted to stay with what sells while still branching out a bit, they could do a title on Cyrus the Great's Conquests 552-539 BC. I would be most interested though in new titles covering the Arab Conquests with Khalid ibn al-Walid as an elite commander, or ancient Warring States China. I know there was talk of the last one actually being designed but that was a few years ago.

As I have already bought many of the Caesar titles but not all, a combined game would be a little frustrating that I could've just waited and got all of them together.

I am waiting desperately for SPQR to reach 500 though. It has been a long wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Conway
msg tools
badge
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes... Romans 1:16
mb
danberniekeeler wrote:
pdcarlson wrote:

I haven't yet played a lot of Chariots of Fire, but at the least the first several scenarios seem weak; overly simple and not interesting. The Conquest of Gaul scenarios are epic battles that I get excited about playing, even if they are terribly unbalanced. The SPQR Deluxe battles feel even more epic; they are true clashes of complex armies that feel important and invite exploration of the history of the battle and ways to win from each side. The first several scenarios of Chariots of Fire are small, simple and don't capture my interest and attention that way. I'm hoping for more from later scenarios, but so far I am disappointed in it. The plays that I have done so far leave me with a feeling of "so what?" I'm ready to move onto another title and period as soon as I've finished a single scenario.

Yes, first couple scenarios are quite weak, and quite honestly don't really belong in the scenario count. Heck they don't even have chariots. After those, the quality ramps up considerably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An update to Caesar TCW would be most appropriate, and following the trend of GBoH and wargames in general, it should include the three modules and c3i scenarios along with it. The original game, which I have, features two giant sized battles and some smaller, more gimmicky ones. The modules and supplements have more tournament or learning sized scenarios without as much of a disparity in leader quality.

If there is a problem with the game, it's that SPQR does everything better already. Barbarian features Legion on Legion combat in more interesting circumstances, with less of the grind of Caesar. I doubt they will ever release Philippi because it is essentially a shoving match between two gigantic armies with little chance of maneuver or terrain exploitation.

Chariots of Fire is a quality game but it has a lot of rule changes that require you to rethink the way you play GBoH. Troy plays the most like the rest of the series, except with heroic combat as an added feature. It is also a balanced scenario, if you use the optional rule "Achilles sulks," which should be the default setup to be honest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.