ADAM
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This was my first time playing Scythe, so the game setup took about 40 minutes and then another 30 minutes of reading the general rules as well as the Automa rules to get my hands around it. I had stuff everywhere too...ended up playing on the floor, as I (rightly) guessed that everything would have trouble fitting on a table.

Early turns as Polania were interesting, but seemed very limited due to the river nearby and the lack of metal/oil reserves in the vicinity. Ended up maxing out my workers pretty early and doing some trading to get metal for mechs, as well as springing my character free to grab those juicy encounters that Polania gets to pick two options from.
I played with one Automa on the lowest difficulty (Nordic) and the other on bog standard (Rusviet), so they were aggressive but not too much so. They ended up fighting a decent bit more with each other throughout the game then me.

I was able to do alot of building and upgrading, thanks to timely encounters giving me economy boosts and the general weirdness of the Automa's movements (will take some in-game pictures next session report). I ended the game by getting all buildings, all upgrades, all recruits, maxing out my power, and then winning two combats.
I was actually surprised with the scoring (I had totally forgotten to even check to see how it works), but ended up eking out a win. It probably wouldn't have been so close, but I messed up the Mech rule early and was deploying them to my homebase instead of with a worker (even at the time, it seemed like a really weird thing - makes perfect sense after the fact).

Just got done putting together my Daedalus insert and got my realistic resources and metal coins in the mail, so looking forward to my next match with photos of the board, goodies, and insert. Also want to try out some of the expansion factions and the Scythekick app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on your victory. Looking forward to your next session report. From your experience it sounds like you are certainly ready to move up to the Automa level of difficulty.

Cheers,
David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom C
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
adammal wrote:
..and the Scythekick app.

First and foremost, the app is awesome. You can go out and buy more automa decks if you want, but as you have already found, table/floor real estate is at a premium for this game and avoiding multiple automa card piles is good!

Secondly the scoring portion of it makes end game scoring really fast. While performing simple algebra isn't hard, unless you use a pen/paper, everyone dipping into the coin bin while calculating their end game score gets messy quickly. The app just lets you set your value for pop, stars, territories, resources, current coins, and then whatever building bonus you get and it does all of the math for you.

Sure its fun to channel your inner Scrooge McDuck and horde your mountains of coins on your player mat, but hey, to each his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.