Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may receive a $150 gift card at the end of August and am looking to add a few games with it. Currently I have the following in my cart:
High Treason: The Trial of Louis Riel ($30)
Chicago Express ($30...or cheaper?)

I really don't know what else to put in there. I've considered a COIN game, but I fear no one will want to invest that time. What are some good medium to heavy games that aren't too off-putting to people not used to complex games?

I'm leaving it pretty open to get a variety of responses.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence is short and simple enough and cheap. You also may want to try Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was going to suggest viticulture: EE, but I see you already own it.

Other than that, maybe Castles of Mad King Ludwig... it's pretty easy to teach and falls into the mid weight range.

Also, I have had really good luck teaching new players Firefly: The Game. Three of my family members now own this game because my husband and I introduced it to them. I don't think anybody who has played it (and I have played it with dozens of different people) has disliked it. For being on the somewhat heavier side it seems to be well received. Plus, it's one of my favorite games ever. Also, most of the people we introduced this game to hadn't seen the Firefly TV series, so that's not required (though, as a fan of the series, I like it just that much more).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Sequence is short and simple enough and cheap. You also may want to try Ticket to Ride.

Looking more for relatively simple yet deep. A good heavy game that won't take an hour to teach and scare people off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arena: For the Gods! - It's a step up in complexity from King of Tokyo. My group loves it.

Anything by Academy Games, Inc..

Kemet with the expansion Kemet: Ta-Seti. - AWESOME dudes on a map / area control game.

Lisboa - I bought it at Origins and while I've not yet played it, I'm told it's very simple because you're really only making two decisions each turn. It looks a lot more daunting than it really is. At least so I'm told.

I doubt you'll be able to find it new but Pax Porfiriana is absolutely incredible.

The Networks - it's sandbox-y and once you figure it out it's very easy to teach. It's about building a TV network but the shows, ads, and stars are all terrible. Lot of humor and a surprising amount of strategy and depth.

EDIT: I would also second Firefly: The Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For how many people?

Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan is back in print, but it's 2 only, so not, I think what you are looking for.

I've been playing Wings for the Baron (second edition) which is great fun. But the simple version may not be deep enough for you. On the other hand, a game with a 'simple version to teach', which is still fun, and then some additional rules which add depth to apply later may be exactly in line with your needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
For how many people?

Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan is back in print, but it's 2 only, so not, I think what you are looking for.

I've been playing Wings for the Baron (second edition) which is great fun. But the simple version may not be deep enough for you. On the other hand, a game with a 'simple version to teach', which is still fun, and then some additional rules which add depth to apply later may be exactly in line with your needs.

I've looked at Segikahara and played a demo round by myself once, it's definitely being considered...but High Treason has kind of kicked it out of the 2 player game spot in my purchase. Also, a member in my game group already has it, so I could play with him. But looks like a great game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look no further than the Great Dinosaur Rush.
Compete with each other for bones, build made up dinosaurs, kind of run advertising campaigns so people want to see your dinosaur, and race to become the most renown paleontologist around. Just like it was actually done in the good ole days. Seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.