I finally picked up AH LCG this past weekend and almost immediately started thinking about how I could create a storage case for not only this purchase but the 1324 extra cards that either have been or will be released throughout the expansions. This post will document the journey through madness to try to make something both acceptable for the game and genre.
As soon I started researching I fell down the rabbit hole, looking at old suitcases, medical bags, briefcases, luggage labels and custom boxes. That helped me realize what direction I wanted to go, something that stored the game but could also look like it had real world application, which brought me to this sketch -
I found an artist box full of supplies that I was saving for my son and started ripping parts out (he wasn't going to use it and I wanted to keep things cheap). There were two wooden trays that hinged out of the main box that I removed. The base parts had plastic trays hot glued into them. Removing the hot glue was the first challenge of the build but I was able to remove most of it by using rubbing alcohol and picking the glue off.... for almost two hours.
As I was working on rubbing off the glue (and my finger tips) I started thinking of how the outside of the box was going to look. Either it was going to be a stained wood box or have a textured paper attached to make it look like leather. Either way I wanted to sand down the box to make the corners look worn down and used -
I have a whole list of other things/ideas for form and function, one of those things was how to store the insanity/health chits from the game. During my research I came across pillboxes from the 1920s and 30s and came up with this - luckily my son just got done with a little mint tin so I stole that from him - and after coming up with a label for the box came up with this -
At first I wanted to use the above for the sanity but now like how the color palette of the hearts work with the label.
I finally found the textured paper I think I want to use late last night/this morning but then had to deal with deciding on what color scheme to use, very rough Paint mock up below of possible color scheme (the dark grey would actually be black) -
One final thing for today - I cut out some of the luggage labels I made/found and decided to lay those out for a rough idea of how things would work -
I am open to any questions, thoughts and suggestions as I work through this. Any feedback is good feedback. Thanks for looking! Keith