Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tulszcha and Windwalker Ceremony of Annihilation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Strahm
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I'm sure this has been addressed, but does Windwalker only gain 5 power from Ceremony of Annihilation if he has his 5-point Ritual spellbook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. No I do not believe it HAS been addressed. I call to the Omega rule in every copy of the game that says anything we didn't think of is up to you. Well done, Kyle.

I guess a strict interpretation of the rules would say, yes, WW gets only 5 Power. On the other hand, it's kind of lame to have this effect hurt Windwalker, since the intent is that it is good to have Tulszcha on your team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Herald of the Outer Gods (Ongoing): Pay 5 Power for Windwalker's Ritual of Annihilation, regardless of the position of the Ritual marker.

Quote:
Ceremony of Annihilation (Doom Phase): When you perform a Ritual of Annihilation, you may choose to pay nothing, and instead EARN Power equal to the current position of the Ritual of Annihilation marker, then advance the marker 1 step. You earn no extra Doom points nor Elder Signs.

Herald means Windwalker pays 5 for a Ritual, Ceremony of Annihilation lets you instead pay 0. I don't see a conflict here, since what you gain from the Ceremony is tied to the marker's position, rather than what you would have paid for a Ritual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
Quote:
Herald of the Outer Gods (Ongoing): Pay 5 Power for Windwalker's Ritual of Annihilation, regardless of the position of the Ritual marker.

Quote:
Ceremony of Annihilation (Doom Phase): When you perform a Ritual of Annihilation, you may choose to pay nothing, and instead EARN Power equal to the current position of the Ritual of Annihilation marker, then advance the marker 1 step. You earn no extra Doom points nor Elder Signs.

Herald means Windwalker pays 5 for a Ritual, Ceremony of Annihilation lets you instead pay 0. I don't see a conflict here, since what you gain from the Ceremony is tied to the marker's position, rather than what you would have paid for a Ritual.

Agree with Adam here - the wording on both Herald and Ceremony of Annihilation is very specific, and iirc, I'll pretend that way back when we set the wording I specified with "equal to the current position" rather than "equal to what you would pay" just for WW.

So, i.e., WW gains all the benefits of Tulzscha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And even if the wording wasn't what it is, aren't spellbooks always optional so WW could simply chose not to use Herald of the Outer Gods?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Grubich
United States
Germantown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Great question! We haven't used the iGOOs enough in our games so hadn't thought of this situation before. Tulzcha is high on my list of stuff to play with soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
And even if the wording wasn't what it is, aren't spellbooks always optional so WW could simply chose not to use Herald of the Outer Gods?

Unless they say otherwise, yes. Good point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.