Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for recommendations on games using supply & demand where players can flood the market of goods and crash prices.

I'm ideally looking for a game where there is a central pot or public pot where player's actions affect the price globally; so someone who produces a lot could crash the price due to the amount of goods available.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a central mechanism of Navegador.

The market is two-sided. There are manufactured goods, which you make in your factories, and yes, when you sell you ruin the prices for other manufacturers, and the more you sell the more you ruin things for them. But you need raw materials, which come from colonies. So when you manufacture like crazy, you make the prices for commodities for the players who have colonies go up. When they, then dump, a whole lot of gold, or sugar or spices into the market -- well that ruins things for the other colonial powers, but causes the prices for manufactured goods to improve, so the manufacturers are all pleased ...

and so it goes. Timing is everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archipelago has a nice little market system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1830: Railways & Robber Barons

Planet Steam

Supremacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Wealth of Nations has this. (My copy is currently up for auction...)

Other games with great market options:
Fürstenfeld - this game is essentially ALL market
The Princes of Machu Picchu - surprisingly effective market here
Ys
Power Grid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Supremacy 2020

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations and will review them

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Container (I'm surprised it has not been mentioned yet, given that a new edition is currently in the works)

Oldies but goodies:
Trailblazer
Executive Decision

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Container (I'm surprised it has not been mentioned yet, given that a new edition is currently in the works)

Ah, because while generating markets that perform poorly is easy to do, flooding the market with goods is not? Goods only come into the market when a factory owner produces, but you have to produce with all your factories if you are able to -- no picking. And you always get to set your prices however you like -- there is no relationship required between however much of a good there is in the game and what it costs.

Now, if you like economic games, and know 4 people of like mind, I strongly recommend you get a copy of Container because it is that much fun. But I don't think it is what the OP was asking for ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games that have interesting market mechanisms where players can directly affect the prices of goods:

Massilia
Harbour

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem has this mechanism at the end of round when you're trying to put your contraband into the market. Everyone puts the amount of contraband tokens that they're selling in their hands and everyone reveals at the same time. The more contraband as a collective, the lower the price the market will pay. Given that most money is the end goal, you can mess with others selling by flooding the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.