Hide
9 Posts

Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Minion combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Daniel
msg tools
So... i've only played the game once so far, but i felt the game was rather repetitive and way too grindy, i've read a couple of suggestions to lower the grind and make the game flow better but i was thinking about the combat with minions, haven't thought about any alteration to boss combats.

But i was thinking about the minion damage. Flat out damage from some minions will be almost complete negated over the course of the game, probably even more so during a campaign, these low level grunts won't be able to touch you and will be instant killed very quickly.

What if the dices are incorporated into the enemies? For example the Hallowed Crossbowman, or the Hallowed Soldier, both do very little damage and have a single hit point. After getting a new shield or armor you'll be able to block at least 2 points of their damage every single time, and most of the time it will even be all off it. What if instead of flat out 3 or 4 damage they roll a die?

I haven't thought out the rule 100% or tried to balance around the other models, but lets say that they roll a die with sword icons equal to their maximum number of damage +1 black die for every hit point they have? Or perhaps +1 die based on encounter level (1 = black, 2 = blue, 3 = orange)

That would mean a Hallowed Crossbowman would roll 1 black and 1 blue die for damage, and has the possibility of hitting for 5, but also the possibility of hitting for only 1, like i said... i'm just spit balling here.

I'm sure this is very unbalanced in the level 3 encounters, possibly some level 2 encounters, as i've only ever played the game once, but this would mean that the completely useless minions will remain a threat throughout the game rather than become mindless slugfests of a combat as soon as you get 1 or 2 upgrades.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Bouin
France
flag msg tools
Hi Daniel,

From now, my best bet to reduce grind feeling is to skip encounter already done without using estus flask.

About giving dice to medium, I would not do that since it will increase the game time a lot.

But it is just my point of view
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like that you're thinking outside the box, but remember that not everybody is sitting there in heavy armor and blocking physical shots. You don't know what enemies are behind the next door, and if they are Hollow Crossbowmen which do magic damage, they now have a chance to one-shot you on your first level 1 encounter before you take a turn. That's not exactly in the spirit of Dark Souls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easy way to reduce grinding is to just play the game as it's intended.
Most people want to be 100% sure to beat the boss, so they grind and grind, until they have top level gear.
Just go to the boss, and fight him. You may have a harder time, but you can defeat them, if you have a bit of luck, and use good decisions instead of the gear, that cost you an extra half an hour of grinding.
And if he defeats you you still win. You would have grinder all the rooms again anyways, but this way, you spend more of your time fighting bosses, and less grinding minions. Also, you fought him now, so you can make a better strategy for the next approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frozen Flesh wrote:
The easy way to reduce grinding is to just play the game as it's intended.
Most people want to be 100% sure to beat the boss, so they grind and grind, until they have top level gear.
Just go to the boss, and fight him. You may have a harder time, but you can defeat them, if you have a bit of luck, and use good decisions instead of the gear, that cost you an extra half an hour of grinding.
And if he defeats you you still win. You would have grinder all the rooms again anyways, but this way, you spend more of your time fighting bosses, and less grinding minions. Also, you fought him now, so you can make a better strategy for the next approach.

However, this is not true for the mini-boss (remember your sparks reset after you kill the mini-boss). If you are lucky enough to kill the mini-boss on your first spark without having to get decent mid-tier gear, you are suddenly having to go through harder encounters with sub-standard gear, and you will have to grind even harder to be able to have a chance against the boss.

On the other hand, if you utilize your sparks to rest/reset as much as possible before beating the mini-boss, you will have good gear going into the harder encounters, and will need less grinding from that point onwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more sparks you have left, the more souls you get from the mini boss.
That means, if you bring more, you get less souls from the boss, or none at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frozen Flesh wrote:
The more sparks you have left, the more souls you get from the mini boss.
That means, if you bring more, you get less souls from the boss, or none at all.

huh? I don't quite understand what you are saying.

Killing the mini-boss early gives you a souls reward that is much, much lower than what you'd get if you used the sparks to reset and clear the dungeon again.

Let me give you an example.

3 player game. You start with 3 sparks. Each room gives you 6 souls. Each time you clear the four rooms you get a total of 24 souls. If you beat the mini-boss without resetting, you get an extra 9 souls (3 sparks times 3 players). This is a total of 33 souls.

If you spend the three sparks to reset, you can clear the four rooms a maximum of four times. So you would get 24x4 = 96 souls. Then your sparks reset to 3.

Of course you can always kill the mini-boss earlier if you want the extra challenge. But you should be aware than the earlier you kill the mini-boss, the more souls you are giving away, and the harder your game will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'm saying is, you as the player have the choice.
You can have a tense 2,5 - 3 hour game, or a boring 4-5 hour grind.

It's not the games fault, uts your way of playing it.

Sure you'll get less souls, and the game will be more challenging.
Just to remind you, you win by defeating the boss, not by leveling up to max, and drawing the entire treasure deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frozen Flesh wrote:
What I'm saying is, you as the player have the choice.
You can have a tense 2,5 - 3 hour game, or a boring 4-5 hour grind.

It's not the games fault, uts your way of playing it.

Sure you'll get less souls, and the game will be more challenging.
Just to remind you, you win by defeating the boss, not by leveling up to max, and drawing the entire treasure deck.

Agreed.

What bothers me are the people who complain that the game is too hard or too random, because they are trying to kill the bosses with starting gear.

If you like the challenge, by all means go to the boss earlier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.