Subject: How Does This Compare to Stephenson's Rocket? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff M
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
The key to the treasure is the treasure.
All -- I really like Stephenson's Rocket and this sounds like it may be similar. Can anyone who has played both comment on the similarities and differences in feel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one's way better, at least.

They don't really feel the same. Ok, both are train games and share-holding games, but Samarkand is much faster-moving. Stephensons Rocket is longer and somewhat convoluted, while Samarkand shouldn't take much more than 20-30 minutes with experienced players.

Samarkand companies only have two shares. The share-holding doesn't get very complicated. This is less of a share-holding game than Stephensons Rocket, yet it's still quite crucial which shares you hold.

I've had much better success with Samarkand: it's one of my all-time favourite games. I've given Stephensons Rocket a chance twice, but it's just really hard to get on the table, and doesn't really manage to excite me much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Pleasanton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jm100 wrote:
All -- I really like Stephenson's Rocket and this sounds like it may be similar. Can anyone who has played both comment on the similarities and differences in feel?

Have you played Through the Desert? I think Stephenson's Rocket is more similar to that but more advanced than it is to Samarkand. I actually don't think I would have ever made a connection of similarity between the two. But, it's been a while since I played Stephenson's Rocket. I think I'd rather play Stephenson's Rocket though. But, yes, Samarkand plays quicker and if you are playing with more entry-level gamers than Samarkand is easier to comprehend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
The key to the treasure is the treasure.
Thanks, Mikko and Benjamin! The games seemed similar to me because of the shareholding, route-building, merger of lines, and simplicity of turns. While I really like Stephenson's Rocket, it gets a mixed reception because it can be hard to wrap your head around. I like Through the Desert as well, but Samarkand definitely seems worth a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.