Subject: Mijntrree Project Phase 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I made an expansion set for Andy Hopwood's Mijnlieff, called Mijntrree. The first phase was to construct the base Mijnlieff set.

My wife and I played this several times on a fixed 4x4 board. Within a week, we saw why a Mijnlieff board is actually 4 2x2 tiles: the games fell into a tactical routine that required a new board to keep the game fresh.

The original set has 16 tiles (8 of each color). My expansion adds 20 new tiles. No problem, I still have quite a stash.

Lots of sanding. 20 tiles means 80 sides, 40 faces, 160 edges and 160 corners all have to go through 5 levels of increasingly fine sandpaper. Whew!

Ten stay white, 10 get a topcoat of black gloss enamel.

Start with the central hole because they all get that. Proceed to the more and more difficult cuts:

Some red paint for the unpainted tiles, some more sanding to remove the excess, and the set is complete. This is a complete Mijntrree set. Notice the original 16 tiles (2 each of 4 kinds) surrounded by the 20 expansion pieces (for a total of 3 each of 6 kinds).

The original 16 tile set fit in a sunglasses bag, but the new set requires 2. The board so far is just 4 pieces of paper with 3x3 squares on each. They can be placed in any way with many more possibilities than the original 4 board pieces.

Our first game was on a simple 6x6 square configuration. Mijntrree is much more thinky than Mijnlieff. The 2 new pieces are not rotationally symmetric, so there's yet another variable to consider: which way around should you play them? Our game ended when my wife noticed that even if I claimed every remaining square, I could not match her current score, each of us still with 5 or 6 tiles left.

The final board will likely be 4 squares of canvas with 2x2 pattern on one side of each and a 3x3 pattern on the other side. These squares of fabric can be rolled up and stuffed into a bag with the tiles. With 2-sided boards, we can play either Mijnlieff or Mijntrree depending on how long a game we want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
mbmbmb
inspired by your creation, I designed the pieces and board and 3d printed them.

the base is only partially done, I am making them thicker and to hold magnets so the boards snap together. Next step is to work on the expansion pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mesclor wrote:
inspired by your creation, I designed the pieces and board and 3d printed them.

the base is only partially done, I am making them thicker and to hold magnets so the boards snap together. Next step is to work on the expansion pieces.

Nice work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.