Subject: Solo play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Maxwell
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really hope Cody takes a cue from his Embers expansion for Xia or Gloomhaven in that it supports solo play and is a legacy game. I jumped on Xia when I saw that expansion would allow solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dan!

I've been thinking about solo play from the very beginning. I'm not announcing anything at this time, but I have seen the solo community growing, and the response to Embers has been great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sasachaz wrote:
Hey Dan!

I've been thinking about solo play from the very beginning. I'm not announcing anything at this time, but I have seen the solo community growing, and the response to Embers has been great!

Would it at the very least support a solo player playing 2 characters simultaneously? Most solo players are used to doing this kind of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I find it most exciting that Cody seems to struggle with slapping solo play on it. This hints that the game is not perfect information or that there are private goals or ... So there might be something in place that prevents the alpha gamer thing with coops whitch is a large plus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slyght wrote:
Sasachaz wrote:
Hey Dan!

Would it at the very least support a solo player playing 2 characters simultaneously? Most solo players are used to doing this kind of thing.

Multi-handed solitaire is my favorite way to play co-ops and the 1PG is FULL of people like me. Unless there's a glaring reason why this can't be done, I suggest changing the player count to 1-4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1 for solo play that would be fab. This game sounds promosing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as there is no compromise on player interaction (achievable through: personal goals, hidden info, traitors, shifting alliances, hidden teams or whatever else makes sure that players are not being alpha-gamed and make decisions on their own) I am THEN happy to see solitaire support. If however the solitaire support makes it a multiplayer solitaire game I am afraid that that will turn me down.

Campaign game with discover-ability (like green legacy!) is really the way to go - kudos already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Duchesne
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
If playing 2 characters work fine for solo play i would change the actual player count on this game page to 1-4 players. It would attract more people and backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
Actually I find it most exciting that Cody seems to struggle with slapping solo play on it. This hints that the game is not perfect information or that there are private goals or ... So there might be something in place that prevents the alpha gamer thing with coops whitch is a large plus!

I want to be honest - I've designed Arydia as a co-op from the beginning - so playing with friends should be great! There are some interactions that require 2 people to be fun, such as talking with NPCs - so I've got some ideas for work-arounds that I can implement for solo play, but given the scope of the game, I want to ensure that I can not just make it work, but that it would be a great experience for solo gamers. If I can do that, then I'll advertise it as a solo experience as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual of Orange Nebula
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I EVER want is a fantastic coop experience. It's by far my favorite type of game and I really don't think anything has done quite what I want from that perspective. There's always a hiccup like a DM or something.

I have dreams of the perfect 2 player coop adventure that can eventually be 4p when my kids come of gaming age. This, so far, seems to be suggesting its in that arena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cody that sounds amazing. I love the idea of taking on the 'DM role' for an encounter and potentially earning rewards for your own character based on the outcome of the encounter. I also love how you're blurring the line between a tabletop RPG and a board game.

I just found out about Arydia an hour ago and now I'm ridiculously excited for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Wijnants
Belgium
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for solo !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does is go with this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going well! I've got some prototype components that should be arriving in the mail soon, which will help inform some game-play decisions in the near term!

As for solo specific things, my biggest hurtle is hidden information. I'd love to get some of your thoughts on my dilemma:

Currently the biggest hurtle to Solo being really streamlined is interaction cards. In regular co-op play - one player assumes the role of host, they have a card with choices on the front, and results on the back. The player 'hosting' keeps the information secret from the other player(s), as some choices have consequences etc.

I'm looking at how to implement this well in solo play. I've a few ideas:

1. It's not that big of a deal, solo gamers can just do their best to not read any information on the back of cards except what is required.

2. Do some sort of 'hidden' text trick, like the red splotches with the red plastic viewer, or UV ink with UV pen light. My main issue with these is that they feel cheap and gimmicky, and for me that's really hard when the rest of the game is focused on quality, it feels out of place.

3. Some sort of card sleeve thing that you slide NPC cards into - and have specific doors or slots that open up to reveal text. (Sorry, hard to describe, I have lots of prototypes but nothing great).

Anyway, if you solo gamers had any thoughts, I'd be totally open to suggestions!

Thanks! -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the maximum number of choices per card Cody? If it were only two, I guess you could have one of the results printed upside down.

You don't want to get into multiple numbered cards a la 7th Continent. What about a small booklet with numbered paragraphs?

That said, I personally don't think it's that big of a deal. Eldritch Horror hasn't ever caused me an issue during solo play and it relies on cards that have different text depending on success/fail rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
no realy this is blank
badge
HOBBES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sasachaz wrote:

As for solo specific things, my biggest hurtle is hidden information. I'd love to get some of your thoughts on my dilemma:

Currently the biggest hurtle to Solo being really streamlined is interaction cards. In regular co-op play - one player assumes the role of host, they have a card with choices on the front, and results on the back. The player 'hosting' keeps the information secret from the other player(s), as some choices have consequences etc.

I'm looking at how to implement this well in solo play. I've a few ideas:

1. It's not that big of a deal, solo gamers can just do their best to not read any information on the back of cards except what is required.

I say stick with #1. While I am not a hard core solo gamer I recently started Legacy of Dragonholt solo. I choose not to look at the other entries in the book. I also will likely have an Agents of SMERSH solo game started up soon. What I like about AoS is that the cards reference a book and there is a reaction table. I think that the cards/book of encounters makes for a really interesting mechanic as you are able to choose your reactions then there is a random fate multiplier that allows one card to have 6 x 6 entries and stories tumble out but rather than a Tales of the Arabian Nights random adventure that punishes you, you feel like you have some choice in how the adventure might go, you get ability to try to anticipate the risk and set yourself up better?

IF people cannot control themselves to not look then they won't no matter what controls you put in place.

Keep you material quality high and believe in your players they can exercise self control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't play solo so I can't really offer a lot in the way of suggestions, but I think the component quality is more important. Making concessions for solo play that add grief to group play are more likely to alienate everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Tungsten
msg tools
mbmb
Old Deep One wrote:
What's the maximum number of choices per card Cody?

Key question for me, as well - if it's never more than 4, perhaps each option could be printed parallel to one edge of the card, likewise the results on the back, such that no matter how the card is turned, there'd be 2 option/result pairs facing sideways with 1 right side up & 1 upside down? This might help deter any "info bleed" (though I dunno whether it might complicate production any). Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Nelstead
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tyrone_jones wrote:
I say stick with #1.... Keep you material quality high and believe in your players they can exercise self control.

I'd also prefer this. It's better to let players choose whether or not to see the extra information. It could even be the case that GAMER #1 determines which option they choose and sticks with it, even if they accidentally see a better outcome they missed out on. GAMER #2 may just want the story, and so they may find it even more enjoyable to pick from the list. Since it's not a competitive game, why not just leave it up to each person to determine how they play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the risk of starting the digital vs physical debate, what about a small/simple app that displays the choices and then the results. (See the recent fallout board game for an example of what folks are creating to deal with the same issue).

As a purely solo player I would be fine with solution 1. As long as there is a way to hide the information if I don't want to see it with the initial choice, then I am fine with it being easily seen/read otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyrone_jones wrote:

IF people cannot control themselves to not look then they won't no matter what controls you put in place.

I'm not sure what the best solution is, but the above statement rings true to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
mb
I would also be perfectly fine with option #1. I do like the idea of some sort of sleeve that you could revel the choices one at a time, but I can imagine this may be a hard one to do if there are more than two choices per card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Duchesne
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I would go with option #1 !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tyrone_jones wrote:

Keep you material quality high and believe in your players they can exercise self control.

Golden - thanks Adam!

Old Deep One wrote:
What's the maximum number of choices per card Cody?

Ahh - it tends to be more than 2, but this is a unique idea Izzy!

Everyone else: - Thank you for your suggestions and chiming in! I think it feels like putting up with the inconvenience of some "information bleed" isn't the worst thing for a Solo gamer - which honestly makes a big difference for me when looking at implementing Solo play.

Thanks for all your input/enthusiasm!! -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rodney
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cody,

I like the color field and require a color lens to decode. Though most have said to go with #1 I feel option #2 will satisfy all.

My other option would be an App for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.