Championship Formula Racing» Forums » Rules

Subject: CFR Basic Question: Top Speed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Friedly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Is it fair to say that you can go over your top speed but there is a risk?

On page 5 of the rule book under the Increasing Your Speed: Acceleration and Top Speed the second paragraph says you cannot go faster than your top speed yet the second to last sentence in the paragraph after it says, "You can increase your top speed in the same way." Also this video has the same seemingly contradictory statement https://boardgamegeek.com/video/99997/championship-formula-r...

My take on this is that you can go over your top speed based on the graphic on the left of page 9 in the rule book.
I bring this up because this confusion is not the only time it occurs for me when I read the rule book. Or watch the videos for that matter.

This bothers me because there are those that may be interested in or may have already bought Championship Formula Racing (CFR) and see a barrier to even getting the first race in. Playing a game of CFR isn't that hard to play. But the rule book doesn't make it seem easy.

I played Speed Circuit back in the day. When I learned of CFR I instantly bought a copy. CFR is a major improvement. I think anyone who even thinks they'd like to play a racing game should at least try CFR. I think I'm sensitive to the typos and disorganization in other parts of the rule book because of my past career in advertising. It's so very important to make a great first impression and a well presented message. Or maybe it's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly not just you. It's also not just CFR. The rule book for a game (any game) should clearly and concisely describe how to set up and play the game. If it doesn't, rewrite again and again until it does before releasing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You can go over by 20 mph, but you need to roll and see whether you damage your engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Friedly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Renaud Verlaque wrote:
You can go over by 20 mph, but you need to roll and see whether you damage your engine.

That answer made a light bulb go on so I went back to page 9 of the rule book. So under the Tests section at the top of page 9 there it is. Thanks again. While looking at that I saw the start speed could also be 20 mph faster. Then I looked over at page 8 First Turn.

Okay, if I read the 7 lines of type in First Turn correctly it could be boiled down to; You can go 20 mph over your start speed if you test and succeed. See Rolling Dice: Tests and Chances on page 9 for more information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Friedly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
lucky henry wrote:
It's certainly not just you. It's also not just CFR. The rule book for a game (any game) should clearly and concisely describe how to set up and play the game. If it doesn't, rewrite again and again until it does before releasing the game.

I agree. And it's not just clearly and concisely written copy. Clean and consistent page layout is also important. Also agree about the editing until it's perfect. It is possible to do even under tight deadlines. Not a ton of fun. But necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
As I stated in my review, I suspect those involved in proofing the rulebook for clarity and rules organization already knew the material front-to-back, and thus encountered no confusion. That's just one of the many problems inherent in skipping blind playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.