Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Savage
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies - I did a long review based on making a very big misunderstanding in the rules!
It does invalidate pretty much everything I said, I'll re-evaluate a review after playing correctly!

Thanks for the corrections everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodge wrote:
Thus, you gain 10 cards which will be LNRTS and 5 wild cards. On your second turn, play a 7 letter word (using all your 1 point cards) and take the common letter, then start buying the 5c FAME cards.

Uh...no.

You have to discard all of your cards after each turn - the ones you used, the ones you bought, and the ones left in your hand. Then draw five more.

Frankly, the game you were playing is so broken, I can't figure out how you managed to spin out such a long review. Try it again with the proper rules, and then let us know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
Rodge wrote:
Thus, you gain 10 cards which will be LNRTS and 5 wild cards. On your second turn, play a 7 letter word (using all your 1 point cards) and take the common letter, then start buying the 5c FAME cards.

Uh...no.

You have to discard all of your cards after each turn - the ones you used, the ones you bought, and the ones left in your hand. Then draw five more.

Frankly, the game you were playing is so broken, I can't figure out how you managed to spin out such a long review. Try it again with the proper rules, and then let us know what you think.

+ 1
Please add a disclaimer to your review stating that you played the game wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Banks
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies if this comes across as harsh, but did you genuinely not take a step back and think "hm, this game is pretty well regarded, but I've solved it in a few moves; maybe I'm doing something wrong"?

Also, this statement:

Quote:
I'd say that Paperback is a great idea for a game that has been let down by a poor understanding of deck builder balance and scoring.

is a bit rich given you've missed an almost ubiquitous rule in deck builders (discard your hand at the end of your turn).

One thing we do (sort of) agree on: first player is a big advantage in this game as you get first shot at the common cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
i don't understand, from my updates they haven't even begun printing hardback yet, how has your copy arrived?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Savage
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone who pointed out my (obvious) mistake in playing the game. I seriously read the rules multiple times, and didn't see where it said about discarding your hand at the end of the turn. Yet - there it is, now that I look again.

So hands up, my mistake - and my review does not accurately reflect the game. I'm going to remove it until I've played it correctly.

We will revisit the game, playing correctly, and update when we play correctly.

Elusive2 wrote:
i don't understand, from my updates they haven't even begun printing hardback yet, how has your copy arrived?

My girlfriend pointed out that we got Word Domination to get Paperback, not Hardback (which we ordered to get the Paperback expansion) which doesn't exist yet.

Not the only mistake I made in this thread, I'm afraid....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodge wrote:
Apologies - I did a long review based on making a very big misunderstanding in the rules!
It does invalidate pretty much everything I said, I'll re-evaluate a review after playing correctly!

Thanks for the corrections everyone!

Great attitude and humility. We need more of this from other reviewers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sad I missed out on this review, which seems like it was a total botch!

I really like this game a lot. To me, it really works well and is fun, while a very similar game called Dexicon was a huge miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinMask wrote:
I'm sad I missed out on this review, which seems like it was a total botch!

Agreed. For future instances of this (although I wouldn't wish it on anyone!) I'd suggest keeping the review but adding a disclaimer at the top of the review in a larger, contrasting font. That way we can still read it, but take it with a grain of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.