Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Rush
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched the Rahdo video over 2 years ago and have wanted this game a lot ever since, but for various reasons never got around to purchasing it when it was in stoch.

It FINALLY arrive yesterday and I played it within minutes 2-player with my son in law.

This game met or exceeded ALL my expectations and instantly jumped into my top 10 all time (I've owned over 700 and played thousands of games).

So many reasons. Here are a few, in no particular order ...

- BEAUTIFUL board. This really helps reinforce the theme and makes the entire experience more enjoyable. Mihajlo Dimitrievski is a great artist.

- Beautiful and interesting cards. The great artwork adds to the game just like with the board. But even more with the characters -- I feel like I was getting to know my crew. It was fun when I first opened the game to spend a while just looking at all the cards. How many games could be sooooo much better with better artwork?

- Good options. There is always something good to do, e.g., get money or cards or provisions, even if you can't do you're first choice of action. I NEVER felt like a turn was "bad" or wasted as in so many other worker placement games.

- Hard decisions. Even given the last point, sometimes two or more decisions seem equally good and it is HARD to decide. Should I go on that raid now, or stock up on provisions and add another crew to be able to do two raids in a row??? Just the right amount of mild stress.

- Just about the right length. Didn't drag out or feel like it ended too soon. We can see all three possible game ending mechanisms approaching so we can *roughly* time the end, but we never know for sure if the other guy will make the last offering or try to get in another raid.

- Multiple ways to get VP that require you to play a balanced game and not let the other guy run away to easily with one; but not so many that it is hard to keep track of or gets confusing.

- I love the multiple score tracks and the way that two of them add to the main (VP) track. I've seen that in a few other games, but it is implemented here the best I've seen.

- Intangibles: I just loved playing this game. I can't wait to try it again and to try with other player counts, and to get more familiar with the characters so I can play better when to use which ones.

I hope it wins the Kennerspiel des Jahres next week. The other two games are great, but for me personally this just hit the spot in so many ways.

Thanks Shem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 4p game this last weekend. I think this might be better 2p-3p. The raids and the loot are finite. With 4p it seemed that they quickly became scarce. There was also a little too much down time between turns with 4P. That is due to the board changing so much in one turn that you cannot plan ahead. So until it is your turn you can't be thinking to far in advance what you are going to do in your turn.

I agree the art work is gorgeous and I like the put down-pick up action selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brian! I really appreciate the feedback. So great to hear people are still discovering and falling in love with Raiders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy is arriving tomorrow ! Definitely one Ive wanted to try for a long time, looking forward to playing all weekend !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rush
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see that happening with 4p, but lots of games are like that.. I'll still try 4p and see how I like it. I don't have the expansions yet, but plan to get at least one and maybe that will help with 4p. But OTOH, it could be a positive to have a game with different feels at different counts. It's like having two games for the price of one. It's more of a race to finishing and requires more instant tactical responses at 4p, which could represent certain real Viking scenarios . I guess I'll find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conner Morlang
United States
Santa Monica / Westwood
California
flag msg tools
Go outside and play (games)!
badge
Me 10 years ago. Should I update?
mbmbmbmbmb
Xhawk wrote:
My copy is arriving tomorrow ! Definitely one Ive wanted to try for a long time, looking forward to playing all weekend !

Lucky you! Enjoy.
My copy is otw from CSI and I'm on the west coast ... so I've got 5-6 days to wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.