Subject: About those player boards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JL K
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know what the player boards will look like in the non-deluxe version of the game? The deluxe version looks great, mostly because of how usable they seem, but if the retail version of the game lacks some way to keep the action wedges from moving too much, it seems like it will be just as much of a pain to use as the Terraforming Mars boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Theza wrote:
Does anyone know what the player boards will look like in the non-deluxe version of the game? The deluxe version looks great, mostly because of how usable they seem, but if the retail version of the game lacks some way to keep the action wedges from moving too much, it seems like it will be just as much of a pain to use as the Terraforming Mars boards.

I think few games have boards that are THAT annoying to use. haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Simpson
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The prototype board wasn't an issue and I've never had a problem with Trajan. Terraforming Mars is mainly annoying since you use it to track resources and you have resource inventory as well.

I imagine it will be a cardboard board with enough space. Obviously you could knock pieces, but that's most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JL K
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, but with Trajan the rondel spots didn't need to be picked up and flipped over when upgraded. Having the dual-layer boards seems to fix the issue as the wedges can't travel far when they need to be picked up. Perhaps I'm completely wrong and shouldn't worry, but (for example) I find the player boards in Bora Bora to be kind of fidgety, and while it doesn't detract that much from the game, I'm worried it has the potential to sour the game experience.

In the end, you're probably right though, the copy that Undead Viking had during his rules explanation seemed to work relatively fine as long as he was careful and most games with player boards seem to have some fiddly parts that get knocked around when bumped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Regular version + after-market laser cut overlays might be less expensive than the deluxe version if the board is the only thing you care about in the deluxe version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I saw that the boards will be dual layer? Meaning all the buildings and wedges would sit in an indentation to prevent movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Goodman
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
I think I saw that the boards will be dual layer? Meaning all the buildings and wedges would sit in an indentation to prevent movement.

I think the duel layer is only in the deluxe version.

p.s. that and the metal coins are the main reasons i'm opting for the deluxe version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the Deluxe will have 2-layer boards. Apparently they're very expensive and more problematic than I expected. Still, I think they'll be great.

However, having played a LOT with my single-layer, thinner, prototype boards, I do not think it will be much of a problem. The wedge tiles will stay put unless bumped, and if bumped, they won't go flying or anything.

The 2-layer board will keep them snugly in place, but the tiles on top of the single layer board won't be any more problematic than, say, patchwork or my latest obsession, Barenpark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JL K
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's good to hear, I was on the fence about pledging because I wasn't completely sold on the deluxe upgrades and figured I could wait until retail came out, but I am a sucker for the metal coins and the dual layered player boards will probably be a great experience. I'm generally a fan of cardboard and wood, but whatever the final product is, I'm sure it'll look good. You guys seem pretty committed to delivering a great product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.