Subject: One noble die for your fun rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Here is a peculiar die for your consideration - feel free to use it if you find a way how .

This die is glewed from 27 small dice of three distinct colors. You can count blue or red from 1 to 6 (123 and 456 are counterclockwise as usual) and green from 1 to 3.

The cool thing is that shapes of blue-red and green-green equal number pairs are all the same - there is only one such a die of all possible 3^26 variants (it took some craft to filter all of them while searching).

I've glewed a hardcopy example from counters you may own also - post a photo if you try to build and play with it (my counters' sizes were irregular and the result happened to be not precise enough).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, only 26 of the 27 cubes are visible. So you can imagine having neutral-colored cubes numbered 1 thru 26 forming up the big cube:
1 thru 9 on the top layer
10 thru 17 on the middle layer
18 thru 26 on the bottom layer
(The 27th cube is in the middle)

And then you can look at each face of the big cube and note down their numbers
Top face: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
Bottom: 18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26

And in my case, one of the sides is:

So, you can map that out onto an excel spreadsheet, and start customizing each individual cube ... and then see how each face is affected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, building a hardcopy cube from this image is not a banal task of a few seconds.

I can post here the order of dice colors from the bottom layer to the top, but so as this work can be estimated as a puzzle, I won't spoil it for some time with this prompting.

Let it be a tiny contest: the first glewed die published would recieve my last 0.5 GeekGold i haven't spent yet .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hothagrid wrote:
The cool thing is that shapes of blue-red and green-green equal number pairs are all the same ...
I can't make out what you mean by this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
I can't make out what you mean by this...

Check the red 6 and blue 6. They look like a corner with an opposite dot - both of them got the same shape. And so is true for all shapes of the same numbers for red and blue - and for the same numbers of green on the opposite sides of the die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, here is a short list of good looking two-color dice of the same kind. The first one is my favourite for it's symmetry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Franks
Australia
flag msg tools
publisher
My first thought was using it to have 3 different D6 results on one roll. Where the number of coloured cubes represented what the result was on each face, but a player for each colour. Meaning one dice roll decides the fate of three different players. Or three different stats, like a combat game using different stats, and the cube provides a random bonus to 3 of them based on how you roll. Could be an interesting way to do combat maths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you may want to show more than just the two isometric views ... maybe show all 6 sides as well ... so people can understand what you're doing with the isomeric views

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

X..

X.. ... ... ..X
X.. ... ... ..X
X.X X.X XXX XXX

X.X
..X
XXX

That's the 2-dimensional "wrapper" around that first two-color cube

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hothagrid wrote:

Stormtower wrote:

RBR
GGR
RRR

RGR RRR RRR RBR
BGG GGR RBG GRB
BBB BGB BRB BBB

BGB
BGR
BBB

That's the 2-dimensional "wrapper" around that first three-color cube

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

X..

X.. ... ... ..X
X4. .2. .3. .5X
X.X X.X XXX XXX

X.X
.6X
XXX

That's the 2-dimensional "wrapper" around that first two-color cube

Added a number to the center of each face... because the center is always blank for that one

Faces 1,2,3 are the left hand isometric view (top, front, side)
Faces 4,5,6 are the right hand isometric (top, front, side)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CutlassBoardgame wrote:
My first thought was using it to have 3 different D6 results on one roll.

Unfortunately, not possible in this straight way (if I understood you right), so as numbers of different colors are not independent: if you got 6 blue, than it is always 1 red and 2 green.

This may work through another approach. After a throw a player can choose, number of what color to use - there is no need to throw 2-3 dice all at once and than choose one of them you need more.

Or if there are two players, they can measure who got more after a throw. If they are blue and red, than probability of winning is 1:1. But if they are blue and green, than the probability is 3:1.

If all three players want to combat, than they can desire to throw a smallest number of red, green and blue. In this case the probability of winning is also 1:1:1 - just like a natural kind of 3-sided coin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
That's the 2-dimensional "wrapper" around that first three-color cube

Yes it is!

Here is also another die I started with: a slash-style die. I've seen a sort of it in stock, but prefer this very marking. It was much easier to compute, than cubic die (you can check, that it's also 123 and 456 counterclockwise) and easier to produce (just cut corners with a knife), but it is not so cute .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You folks are awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hothagrid wrote:
Here is also another die I started with: a slash-style die.

FWIW http://www.ako-dice.com/ sells slash-style dice (with a different layout of the slashes).

(I have not seen them in real life and have no idea about quality etc; I just know about them since a friend sent me the link a while back.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there was also this stylish die at kickstarter - they were lucky to find enough bakers, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hothagrid wrote:
Yes, there was also this stylish die at kickstarter - they were lucky to find enough bakers, by the way.

I seriously thought you were going to bake the dice. Anyway, glad you they found some backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
I seriously thought you were going to bake the dice. Anyway, glad you found some backers.

Aha, sorry for my ghetto English - i really thought they were baking stuff .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well¸if Charles Ward can ever make up his mind about what Logo he wants for his company, wecan see about making dice of that. And he can wear some as cufflinks if he ever attends the sort of events where the sort of clothes you need cufflinks for is desirable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
Well¸if Charles Ward can ever make up his mind about what Logo he wants for his company, wecan see about making dice of that. And he can wear some as cufflinks if he ever attends the sort of events where the sort of clothes you need cufflinks for is desirable.

Thank you. That would be very snazzy! Yes, yes. Absolutely appropriate for for all the game design award ceremonies.

You guys crack me up

edited for 6am typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Slightly related, I still want to see some novelty die like this but was never comfortable with the d4/d5 rerolls.

UNIVER5E - Five dice in one:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:
but was never comfortable with the d4/d5 rerolls.

You may try this solution. You should not omit numbers, but opposingly use all of them on all sides.

There are five places on the side of your die to put numbers: make them ordered (by adding arrows from left top to the right top, from right top to the right bottom, from right bottom to the left bottom, from left bottom to the center - for example).

And add the rule: if you are going to use this die as dN, than try the first number after throw. If this number is larger than N you should look at the second number. If that second number is also larger, than look at the third - and so forth.

You can check, that possibility of the second roll in this case is veeery small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hothagrid wrote:
JewellGames wrote:
but was never comfortable with the d4/d5 rerolls.

You may try this solution. You should not omit numbers, but opposingly use all of them on all sides.

There are five places on the side of your die to put numbers: make them ordered (by adding arrows from left top to the right top, from right top to the right bottom, from right bottom to the left bottom, from left bottom to the center - for example).

And add the rule: if you are going to use this die as dN, than try the first number after throw. If this number is larger than N you should look at the second number. If that second number is also larger, than look at the third - and so forth.

Concretely how would that work?

It seems like for the die to work as a d6, you'd need one side with 1 as the largest number, right? Otherwise you could never get a 1 result. And one side with 2 as the largest number, etc. (Unless I'm confused.)

So for d5, what would the 6-side indicate as the next number? Whichever number it is would then be the result twice as often as the other 4 numbers when using the die as a d5.

Am I misunderstanding something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Borovkov
Russia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Concretely how would that work?

I was wrong - forget it. All these probabilities are so easy to make a mistake. Thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.