Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
The box and cards are terrible. I at least expected a basic insert and dividers for the expansions. I guess its a big upgrade from the previous boxes that didn't even fit sleeved cards and/or expansions.

Probably the worst "deluxe" version of a game I've ever seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm satisfied with it. I'm not elated and jumping out of my chair saying it's the greatest deluxe version of a game ever though

The cards are fine to me, I've seen way worse. The insert was a bit of a disappointment, I was hoping for something that would hold the different sets of cards separately in the box, but we were "warned" in update #14 (October 2016) that it was going to be a piece of cardboard.

We considered a plastic insert and tried out various ideas for how that would work, but in the end none of the options proved viable -- and they would've increased the box size a bunch. I think 8.5" square is a good size for Innovation: Deluxe.

Personally I'd have been OK with a Ticket to Ride sized box with a proper insert to hold all the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I tend to not read kickstarter updates -- but "none of the options proved viable"? Give me a break. The exact same cardboard insert, in plastic, flipped upside down would have worked fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a direct link to the update. I don't read them, but I will scan through them quickly, and look at the pictures

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/asmadigames/innovation-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worse than IDW's Machi Koro: Deluxe Edition? That was also a complete abuse of the word "deluxe". Maybe "Shameless Money Grab Edition" is more appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to mention, I was disappointed that the "thick dividers" mentioned in that update were not included. At least not in my box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
OverEngineered wrote:
Worse than IDW's Machi Koro: Deluxe Edition? That was also a complete abuse of the word "deluxe". Maybe "Shameless Money Grab Edition" is more appropriate.

Haven't seen it, but I heard it was bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Murr wrote:
I forgot to mention, I was disappointed that the "thick dividers" mentioned in that update were not included. At least not in my box.

Mine either. Were they intended to separate the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was in a tin at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elltrain wrote:
The box and cards are terrible. I at least expected a basic insert and dividers for the expansions. I guess its a big upgrade from the previous boxes that didn't even fit sleeved cards and/or expansions.

Knowing Chris Cieslik, a bit of joke, a bit of hard work on games mix is normal for Asmadi Games.
The new exapnsions were tested for years, manual was rewritten, card "art" /icons were redone from 1 bit to 1 chnannel, card layout is completely new. There is a lot of work taht was done.
Call it "deluxe" or "Innovation Big Box" this set probably deserves it.
I was going to procure(buy, construct, repurpose) some way of conveniently holding 50 decks in one box. And as for example Summoner Wars Allinces shows it is possible to get such box/dividers, for similar price IF you have effect of the scale - SW:A had probably bigger print-run.
So it will be shame it all it was wasted , when box won't be able to hold the weith of 600 cards.
I have the first edidion box , that is very thick and sturdy and holds for almost 5 years. I have a lot of boxes taht could serve as a method tor transporting Innovation. But it would be best to have a good box in the first place...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Craig Trader
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elltrain wrote:

I think the box is fine. The insert is usable (but I found my own solution). What's deluxe are the cards and expansions:

I've been playing Innovation since the first printing of the first edition. I've been playing with the deluxe base game since I received my copy last year. While 9 of the cards were deemed unbalanced and revised, the real improvement was in the design of the cards themselves. The deluxe cards are more readable, and with cleaner design. Having all four expansions, with consistent card sizes and designs, with consistent rules, is definitely an improvement. (The Echos expansion had particularly bad rules for integration with the base game.)

Yes, it would have been nice to have cards that were sturdy enough to use without sleeves, but that would have been very expensive, and hard to justify. I'm good with Innovation Deluxe, as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're unhappy with the game and want a refund, we're happy to process one.

I'm sorry you don't like the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also - the lack of dividers is totally my fault. It got left off the quote, and I didn't realize it until after the games were delivered / fulfilled.

The thicker reference cards we did try, and reverted back to normal. The thicker cardstock tore up the edges of cards tucked underneath.

I know it took a lot longer to make and get to everyone than you would've liked - it's not what we intended either. A lot of factors (many of which I can't talk about) came together and made this more challenging than it should have been. I offer my apologies to anyone who is disappointed, and as said - if you'd like a refund just let us know and we'll process it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference, BCW trading card dividers work perfectly with innovation. They cost $1 a pack, and you'll only need 1 pack to divide the set up however you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I backed this project, I took "deluxe" to mean updated/improved and with all the expansions, i.e. more than just a big box. It is in the intervening years that the term in the hobby has come to mean over-the-top components. The new design looks great and I am glad to have everything in one box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
moramis wrote:
When I backed this project, I took "deluxe" to mean updated/improved and with all the expansions, i.e. more than just a big box. It is in the intervening years that the term in the hobby has come to mean over-the-top components. The new design looks great and I am glad to have everything in one box.

Yeah, when we made Mottainai Deluxe as a double-set for 3-5 players, we were thinking Innovation Deluxe as all-the-expansions would make sense. In hindsight I'd rather have called it "Innovation: Complete".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
moramis wrote:

Yeah, when we made Mottainai Deluxe as a double-set for 3-5 players, we were thinking Innovation Deluxe as all-the-expansions would make sense. In hindsight I'd rather have called it "Innovation: Complete".

at least you didn't call it deluxified
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation: Banana Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I could still sharpie a few more letters onto the box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
When we made Mottainai Deluxe as a double-set for 3-5 players, we were thinking Innovation Deluxe as all-the-expansions would make sense. In hindsight I'd rather have called it "Innovation: Complete".

Maybe "The Compleat Innovation"?

When Wutai Mountain comes out, people will complain that it wasn't included in their old copies of "Mottainai Deluxe".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with the deluxe set yet, but I am concerned that the color blind "icons" (background) aren't there anymore.

Edit: So I may have to use the Sharpie that Chris "threatened" to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
I haven't played with the deluxe set yet, but I am concerned that the color blind "icons" (background) aren't there anymore.

The shape around the Age of the card is keyed to the card's color. So, yeah, not as great for us colorblindos, but hey, MORE Innovation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
moramis wrote:

This is a very good perception. When I saw the kickstarter, I thought of this as Deluxe in the sense that it was complete with all expansions in one box. But recent "Deluxe" games are definitely over the top components and have shifted the expectation of a game that uses that word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
qzhdad wrote:

The shape around the Age of the card is keyed to the card's color. So, yeah, not as great for us colorblindos, but hey, MORE Innovation!

Yeah - with the new latticework, the old location for the colorblind indicators went away. Instead we did the shape around the value in the top-left. As a bonus, that should be more visible when your hand is fanned out.

I'm hoping it works well for you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lloyd
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Left Hand Reviews w/ Clawlan!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, count me among the disappointed. I LOVE the game, but was really hopping for a sturdier box and thicker card stock. Oh well, the curse of Carl Chudyk lives on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.