Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/7/12/a-mind-...

Another overview of Path to Carcosa, with some very unsettling art. I mean, I really don't like that one picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig B
Australia
Mount Hawthorn
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't look like anything to me. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that this looks like less-monsters-more-madness. But I'm disappointed that it seems highly geared toward multi-player. I'm sure it's still playable solo, but the Hidden mechanism sounds pretty central.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Montgomery
United States
Otisville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the one picture is awful. This is by far the game that has the biggest disparity of art from its great art and its awful art. I also think the cards previewed really get me excited about this new adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NMUWildcat027 wrote:
I agree that the one picture is awful. This is by far the game that has the biggest disparity of art from its great art and its awful art. I also think the cards previewed really get me excited about this new adventure.

Oh, I mean it genuinely horrifies me (I'm talking the singer, along with the all-too-pleased audience).

I don't know if that thing comes from a previous Arkham Files game, but the image file contains a name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
NMUWildcat027 wrote:

Are we talking about the zombie cabaret singer? Because I kinda love that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
NMUWildcat027 wrote:

Are we talking about the zombie cabaret singer? Because I kinda love that.

I am. By "don't like that picture", I meant that it's surprisingly disturbing, but that's a good thing here.

It's the audience that really makes it. Hooded cultists lurking in the dark woods -- ho hum. A bunch of wealthy party-goes openly delighting in a singing, rotting dead woman in a well lit hall is all kinds of messed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can expect more of that messed up style in this cycle. It is the hastur cycle after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's an excellent art direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Oh
msg tools
mb
All Hail Hastur! The greatest of all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I think the Hidden mechanic will fail badly because it is a co-op game, so I think solo will be the best as you just ignore it, like you basically will in multiplayer anyway.

One turn I say I can blow up all the enemies (dynamite), one peril card later, I now say I can't blow up all the enemies (shock, I cant play events whether I can say it not, you basically will know it)

Peril is great in those moments where one player has to decide without complete knowledge, but permanent hidden restrictions just won't work in a true co-op game.

These would work better as Peril cards which give a choice of two permanent restrictions and at the moment it is revealed, only that player can decide which to pick. After that they can be discussed just like everything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think it's fine as it is. Even if a group does talk about it, it's still a restriction until you essentially give up a turn to get rid of it. With all this madness, it'll be more useful if they start giving people their own personal agendas and then you can lie about your hidden cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
Canada
flag msg tools
Love the art and box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
CSerpent wrote:
I love that this looks like less-monsters-more-madness. But I'm disappointed that it seems highly geared toward multi-player. I'm sure it's still playable solo, but the Hidden mechanism sounds pretty central.

I couldn't be more excited for the Hidden mechanic, exactly because it creates space for a traitor mechanism and investigators behaving in apparently irrational ways. One of the advantages of Arkham being a co-op game is no one has to play the Carcosa cycle if they don't like it, and they can just buy and play the cycles that appeal. That's an opportunity to do things like do a cycle with a traitor mechanic, or a cycle that plays up to 8 investigators, or a solo cycle/scenario, or a wild departure from the way the game has operated so far. And when that cycle is done, it's over.

I'm intrigued to see how far FFG pushes it. Judging from the previewed hidden card, though, it should be perfectly fine in solo. It just becomes a treachery card that sits in your hand instead of in your threat area, functionally reducing your hand size by one in addition to whatever other effect it imposes.

Broadly, I would love it if each cycle were different enough that it actually felt almost like a different game on the same engine. Carcosa is just the version of the game with the potential for a traitor mechanic, rife with distrust and suspicion, elements that can be introduced for Carcosa and completely ignored for subsequent cycles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.