Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Does anyone else get creative in wrangling their paper goods away from the gaming space?

I use a dual-purpose music stand to keep reference aids off the table. Has about a 3" lip and is wide and sturdy enough to support a fair amount of literature. I also really appreciate having the text at eye level and under less glare compared to table height.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would actively avoid playing games that required referencing that much text during play. More power to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lzmountaingames wrote:
Does anyone else get creative in wrangling their paper goods away from the gaming space?

I use a dual-purpose music stand to keep reference aids off the table. Has about a 3" lip and is wide and sturdy enough to support a fair amount of literature. I also really appreciate having the text at eye level and under less glare compared to table height.

I thought I might be the only one to do this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I would actively avoid playing games that required referencing that much text during play. More power to you.

It's not about the volume, it's about getting it up off of the playing surface and minimizing glare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
curtc wrote:

It's not about the volume, it's about getting it up off of the playing surface and minimizing glare.

It's about the volume to me. I don't refer to any text during play that isn't on game components , which are... on the playing surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
lucky henry wrote:
curtc wrote:

It's about the volume to me. I don't refer to any text during play that isn't on game components , which are... on the playing surface.

Your memory is better than mine. I like to keep the rule book handy just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
curtc wrote:

This was very much a learning game, and truly there were moments juggling 3 sources. But, some games are hopefully worth the effort. Plus, clean-ish table space arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lucky henry wrote:
Your memory is better than mine. I like to keep the rule book handy just in case.

I certainly would not expect to memorize the type of reference information shown in the image. That's my point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigger table is required. Should see what my table looks like playing KDM, Mage Knight, or Shadows of Brimstone. Thing is 8x5' though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
curtc wrote:
lucky henry wrote:

I certainly would not expect to memorize the type of reference information shown in the image. That's my point.

You don't need to memorize: that's why there are the ref sheets. But much of it gets internalized naturally. The more tables, charts, and forms, the better! Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
You don't need to memorize: that's why there are the ref sheets.

Exactly my point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmb
I like games that overflow the table, but I never fancied the rulebook being part of that.

Most games with a heavy table presence usually require the players to contemplate their actions independently, or as a minimum from their perspective (across the table, as in physical perspective). When games only have a single rulebook it becomes an extreme hassle if it is an integrated part of the gaming experience. Ref sheets MUST come in a number matching player count for the same reason.

For learning games I tend to play with less players (often reduce size required due to player boards) or I simply pull out another table section. Having that dining table with a good 120x300cm size fully extended is really something every board gamer should consider. They are extremely useful for just hosting a dinner party as well. Of course you need a room of a certain size to fit such a table, but it does not need to be a permanent arrangement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.