Subject: Any must have expansions for Small World? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb

I plan on getting the 6 player board and then Underground but is there any others that are must have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james howlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are all pretty darn good. Maybe your local store has some you can try playing 1st? Or you or someone you know has them all in the app, so you can see how they play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best expansions for Small World are those that simply add more races and powers. The variety of combos is what makes the game so much fun for me. I've never tried Tales and Legends nor Necromancer Island, but that's just because I enjoy Small World as it was originally designed. It feels 100% complete without adding new mechanisms and/or added randomness that can derail a game. Go for Small World: Be Not Afraid..., Small World: Cursed!, and Small World: Grand Dames of Small World. You'll get endless variety and varying combos to keep you interested for a long time.

And just in case you're PNP savvy, there are a lot of good customs here in the files section. I've added many to my own game and enjoy even more variety with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Magalhães
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turbocooler wrote:

I plan on getting the 6 player board and then Underground but is there any others that are must have?

It seems you are planning on playing with 6 players, for that the designer of the 6 player map recommends the following:

Philippe Keyaerts wrote:
To get the most out of these 2 maps, if you own
them we recommend adding some or all of the additional
Small World Races & Special Powers introduced in
Cursed!, Grand Dames and Be Not Afraid...

The are 5 expansions focused on races & special powers:

Be Not Afraid: 5 races and 5 special powers
Grand Dames: 3 races and 2 special powers
Cursed: 2 races and 5 special powers

A Spider's Web: 3 races and 3 special powers
Royal Bonus: 3 races and 3 special powers

The expansions Be Not Afraid and A Spider's Web, bring a tray included which can be used to store everything from the 5 expansions I mentioned above.
I recommend following my list from top to bottom.

If you enjoy the game as much as me you can also get the "above ground" Small world: 14 races and 20 special powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
Samboda wrote:
turbocooler wrote:

It seems you are planning on playing with 6 players, for that the designer of the 6 player map recommends the following:

Philippe Keyaerts wrote:
To get the most out of these 2 maps, if you own
them we recommend adding some or all of the additional
Small World Races & Special Powers introduced in
Cursed!, Grand Dames and Be Not Afraid...

The are 5 expansions focused on races & special powers:

Be Not Afraid: 5 races and 5 special powers
Grand Dames: 3 races and 2 special powers
Cursed: 2 races and 5 special powers

A Spider's Web: 3 races and 3 special powers
Royal Bonus: 3 races and 3 special powers

The expansions Be Not Afraid and A Spider's Web, bring a tray included which can be used to store everything from the 5 expansions I mentioned above.
I recommend following my list from top to bottom.

If you enjoy the game as much as me you can also get the "above ground" Small world: 14 races and 20 special powers.

Thank you, that is useful. My group enjoys the game a lot and more than I anticipated. Having 6 to 8 people at our meetup is normal so that is why I am considering the 6 player board or just getting a second copy of the game. I will look into those expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
dbolyard wrote:
I think the best expansions for Small World are those that simply add more races and powers. The variety of combos is what makes the game so much fun for me. I've never tried Tales and Legends nor Necromancer Island, but that's just because I enjoy Small World as it was originally designed. It feels 100% complete without adding new mechanisms and/or added randomness that can derail a game. Go for Small World: Be Not Afraid..., Small World: Cursed!, and Small World: Grand Dames of Small World. You'll get endless variety and varying combos to keep you interested for a long time.

And just in case you're PNP savvy, there are a lot of good customs here in the files section. I've added many to my own game and enjoy even more variety with them.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmb
crazybirdman wrote:
They are all pretty darn good. Maybe your local store has some you can try playing 1st? Or you or someone you know has them all in the app, so you can see how they play

I wish, nothing at the local stores because most of them are focused either on MtG or war gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Magalhães
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turbocooler wrote:
Thank you, that is useful. My group enjoys the game a lot and more than I anticipated. Having 6 to 8 people at our meetup is normal so that is why I am considering the 6 player board or just getting a second copy of the game. I will look into those expansions.

Theoretically with a copy of Small World,Small World Underground and Small World: Tunnels, you could, with some adaptations, play with 7-10 players, but I don't recommend that at all, due to down time.
Better split into two groups of 4 players and each play either Small World or Small World Underground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Malo
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream I dream alone is reality.
badge
When I cease to dream, you cease to exist.
mbmbmbmbmb
Samboda wrote:
turbocooler wrote:

Theoretically with a copy of Small World,Small World Underground and Small World: Tunnels, you could, with some adaptations, play with 7-10 players, but I don't recommend that at all, due to down time.
Better split into two groups of 4 players and each play either Small World or Small World Underground.

Best idea on here. Just grab regular and Underground and split up the group. Especially considering the cost of that 6 player board. Yikes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I'd warn you about is Grand Dames. The White Ladies and Priestesses both have very nasty drawbacks that make them unfun to play, IMHO.

The other race in that one, Gypsies, is one of my favorites, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing the game a lot, it might be worth investing in the Small World Realms add on. It gets mixed reviews from a lot of people because it adds time to the set up of the game, but it allows you to create your own custom maps so the board can be different every time you play. I like it for that aspect alone as we have a couple people who are power gamers like to min max depending on the current map. The are very good at playing on the standard maps and have excellent strategies that seem nearly unbeatable at times (despite the random nature of the race/ability match ups). Realms lets you change things up so the map is different every game and it helps vs that type of play a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.