Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dennett
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Always play to win, don't care if you lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a "quick" solo learning game tonight of the intro Build scenario "Make Yourself at Home" on Easy. The scenario requires you to build 3 backup facility cards, and the rules for this are almost completely non-existent. The scenario simply says you place the card near the board and make sure you fill it with red cubes. There's nothing in the rulebook other than a FAQ entry that says the new facilities count as part of the relevant HUB sections.

Questions that came up:

- I presume you set the production value to max along with setting all the components to red upon building the facility card? This is the only thing that made sense.
- Can you use a follow-up Build action in the same action phase to repair a component on the newly constructed facility card? I really hope so, as that's a lot of malfunction damage...

Specifically for the Backup Greenhouse Facility Card:
- There's a spot for a single black cube, I presume you fill that out when you build the facility?
- The card actually says "Greenhouses 6-10" on the bottom, despite only have a spot for a single black cube and only having 4 spots for plants (which should mean it would be 6-9). How many greenhouses is this facility supposed to represent? NOTE: for this scenario you only have one extra seed, so probably irrelevant.

I also ran out of green cubes due to these cards, but I figured that was unintentional and just counted a blank space as green.

One other big question that came up was due to an event that said I took -3 to my Oxygenation production (assuming permanent, as it wasn't specific). I presume I'm supposed to move one or more white cubes down 3 spots on my O2 plants (not covered anywhere in the rules). At that time I had three working O2 plants.
- Could I pick and choose where to remove the production? Could I split it between multiple plants?
- Could I go below "1" production on a plant?
- Could I remove the production from a shutdown plant? Guessing no, based on the shutdown rules.

Please let me know if I simply missed something in the rules/FAQ.

For the record, I ended up losing at the beginning of day 5 due to a series of bad rolls and events where one of my astronauts went from full health to dead in less than a turn...was not expecting to gain 11 stress in between action phases for a 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyhne
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to hearing the answers to this one. I'll have to wait till tonight to play the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeppe Bøttger
Denmark
flag msg tools
I set it up to try a solo game and have pretty much the exact same questions. Didn't finish the game, due to too much doubt about how to play.

Funny how new facilities is a core aspect of the beginner mission, but there is nothing about them in the rules anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And this is the "easy" introduction scenario....laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
cdennett wrote:

Questions that came up:

- I presume you set the production value to max along with setting all the components to red upon building the facility card? This is the only thing that made sense.

The scenario says to fill it with red markers, so thats correct.
As for the rest.. this is not clear from the rulebook to me as well. Do the red status markers affect the productivity of the facility or not? Do 3 red markers mean 1 productivity instead of 4?

It would be logical, but the rulebook never mentions how the productivity works.

cdennett wrote:

- Can you use a follow-up Build action in the same action phase to repair a component on the newly constructed facility card? I really hope so, as that's a lot of malfunction damage...

I would guess only in next turn.
Because when you declare the Repair action, the facility does not exists yet. So you can not declare it on anything.
Lets say you allow it. But the prior build facility action you do with 1 pawn and you dont roll success. So now you are unable to execute the repair. And afaik the rulebook does say that you can only take actions that you are able to execute (including paying the cost etc).

cdennett wrote:

- There's a spot for a single black cube, I presume you fill that out when you build the facility?

I dont think you do.
The setup in the rulebook says you place black cubes on the farm for as many players there are. The rest remains empty. So the later built farm does not contain a plant automatically imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes.

No. You cannot declare Buil (Repair) action to repair something that is not existing yet.

You will be able to repair tchem next round.

Yes

- The card actually says "Greenhouses 6-10" on the bottom, despite only have a spot for a single black cube and only having 4 spots for plants (which should mean it would be 6-9).

Yes, 6-9

How many greenhouses is this facility supposed to represent? NOTE: for this scenario you only have one extra seed, so probably irrelevant.

Yes, you build 1 in this scenario.
For different missions this card may represent 4 facilities if needed.

I also ran out of green cubes due to these cards, but I figured that was unintentional and just counted a blank space as green.

Yes.
Your HUB was all green? That's a very good result, sir

One other big question that came up was due to an event that said I took -3 to my Oxygenation production (assuming permanent, as it wasn't specific). I presume I'm supposed to move one or more white cubes down 3 spots on my O2 plants (not covered anywhere in the rules).

At that time I had three working O2 plants.
- Could I pick and choose where to remove the production? Could I split it between multiple plants?
- Could I remove the production from a shutdown plant? Guessing no, based on the shutdown rules.

I don't understand this fragment.

For the record, I ended up losing at the beginning of day 5 due to a series of bad rolls and events where one of my astronauts went from full health to dead in less than a turn...was not expecting to gain 11 stress in between action phases for a 2 player game.

Woow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdennett wrote:

I remembered reading about the starting productivity of backups but lost my mind looking for it. It's actually states in the Mission Log of the app. The check boxes for the Solar and Oxygen stated to start productivity at Max. It's not listed in the rulebook but is in the app.

cdennett wrote:

I did not have such luck, I was out in the rover trying to get extra spare parts to build. I was swapping parts between HUB systems like crazy to keep that place from collapsing.

cdennett wrote:

One other big question that came up was due to an event that said I took -3 to my Oxygenation production (assuming permanent, as it wasn't specific). I presume I'm supposed to move one or more white cubes down 3 spots on my O2 plants (not covered anywhere in the rules). At that time I had three working O2 plants.

I had events that took -3 to the General supply but not the productivity. But remember the Plants/Farm are not part of the oxygenation production, the Oxygenators are. So if it told you -3 to oxygenation productivity it should have been to Oxygenator 01 or 02. I did get a -1 to productivity on my Solar Panel 01, which was awful cut it seems like the only way to boost productivity is after a Shutdown Tile is on there. What did happen to me is that I lost 02 in my Farm, which wilts your plants. My lowest plant bumped to the #6 spot on the growth track, and the number 2 plant dropped to the number 1 plant. Then we started to eat more than we were producing. It got really scary.

Whats more scary is the status in the Malfunction Box. If you have a Malfunction at all in any of the blocks, you check the next block status and if its green it gets set to red. So for example.. I have a malfunction in the Systems Block, pull a card and resolve it, I then check the Living Block and if it is green, it gets set to red. Then that means you ALWAYS have to roll that die during the malfunction phase because the whole block is failing. As far as I can tell there is no way to reset the Block Status in the Malfunction Box back to green.

Ignacy, let me know if I was wrong on any of the information I put in regards to the production. I know I missed a few things in my first run, so I regrouped, took notes and had a second go at it. One nice thing to report is that my phone died during Sol4 and when I plugged it in and turned it on, the whole session was saved to the point I was at and I was able to continue in minutes. I was fortunate enough to barely scrape by on Sol7. I got some lucky rolls on Sol5 and Sol6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:

I don't understand this fragment.

Woow

I believe he is asking about the -3 oxygen production event, and how you can (or must) distribute the production loss among the 2 oxygen Facilities. Between the 2 Facilities, you have 10 available production spaces. May any of those 10 spaces absorb the 3 loss, or must all come from 1 Oxygen Facility? (IMHO, that was what his question was...) ...Also, his use of "O2 plants" ...I assume he is not still referring to the greenhouse, but rather the Oxygen Facility...

EDIT: Tough luck, Chriscry

EDIT2: I tried not to read too much for spoilers...it may be Chris is referring to the backup facility cards, and not the main board panel???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nicholson
United States
Leo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cdennett wrote:

I e-mailed Ignacy about this earlier. I had an event that reduce the solar panel production by 2. He told me that this should reduce one solar panel by 2, you are not suppose to split it up.

From my e-mail with him:

Quote:
QUESTION 3
Me: During a demo, we had an event or malfunction card (can't remember which) that reduced our power generation by 2. Do you lower a solar panel facility by 2 or do you reduce each solar panel by 1? I can't remember if the card indicate or not.

Ignacy: One solare panel by 2.

I would assume if this moved 1 your panels below 0, then you would need to reduce it on another.

I would think a shutdown facility wouldn't be effected in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
indianajo883 wrote:

I had events that took -3 to the General supply but not the productivity. But remember the Plants/Farm are not part of the oxygenation production, the Oxygenators are. So if it told you -3 to oxygenation productivity it should have been to Oxygenator 01 or 02. I did get a -1 to productivity on my Solar Panel 01, which was awful cut it seems like the only way to boost productivity is after a Shutdown Tile is on there. What did happen to me is that I lost 02 in my Farm, which wilts your plants. My lowest plant bumped to the #6 spot on the growth track, and the number 2 plant dropped to the number 1 plant. Then we started to eat more than we were producing. It got really scary.

If any game effect tells you to lower Production of Oxygene by 3, that means that:

1. You move white cube in one of Oxygenerators 3 spaces down.
2. You take 3 Shut down tokens
3. You put them on any 3 Facilities tiles.

4. To get Production of Oxygenerator back, you must get rid of Shut down tokens.

Good news though - in first mission you will build Back up Solar Panels and Back up Oxygenerators, so if game effect tells you that Production goes down, you might be still fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Angelini
United States
Lake Oswego
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Since Ignacy is here I'll ask some, most of my questions were the same as the op, but we also had an event where it placed a yellow marker on our characters (the one that makes you roll twice for success). Is there any way to get rid of these? I know the yellows are discarded from facilities at the end of each round, but it doesn't mention people.

Also, how do you get seeds? I saw nothing in setup that told me to put any in the cargo bay, there are no POIs that give you a seed, but it says you need a seed in the cargo bay in order to plant one. You have to plant one in the first mission, so there's gotta be a way to get one.

Had a blast playing last night by the way. Game arrived just in time for a board game weekend I'm leaving for today. Can't wait to see how it plays with 4!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Farias
United States
TUCSON
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So removing shut down markers makes productivity go back up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuangelo wrote:
Also, how do you get seeds? I saw nothing in setup that told me to put any in the cargo bay, there are no POIs that give you a seed, but it says you need a seed in the cargo bay in order to plant one. You have to plant one in the first mission, so there's gotta be a way to get one.

Planting seeds is an action you can take in the lab. It's in the rulebook, page 16.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
Chuangelo wrote:

Planting seeds is an action you can take in the lab. It's in the rulebook, page 16.

Ah, I see the problem you're getting at.

No idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nicholson
United States
Leo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcadEd wrote:
So removing shut down markers makes productivity go back up?

Correct. It's on the backside of the tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuangelo wrote:
Also, how do you get seeds? I saw nothing in setup that told me to put any in the cargo bay

Are you sure? My setup instructions definitely told me to put one in the cargo bay along with one of each kind of spare part. But I'm playing on Easy, so it may be different for other difficulty levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nicholson
United States
Leo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
indianajo883 wrote:

If any game effect tells you to lower Production of Oxygene by 3, that means that:

4. To get Production of Oxygenerator back, you must get rid of Shut down tokens.

Good news though - in first mission you will build Back up Solar Panels and Back up Oxygenerators, so if game effect tells you that Production goes down, you might be still fine.

Do you place the shutdown tiles on facilities even if your current production is enough to power facilities (you may have some shutdown already)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Angelini
United States
Lake Oswego
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Matt_W wrote:
Chuangelo wrote:
Also, how do you get seeds? I saw nothing in setup that told me to put any in the cargo bay

Are you sure? My setup instructions definitely told me to put one in the cargo bay along with one of each kind of spare part. But I'm playing on Easy, so it may be different for other difficulty levels.

First mission, easy difficulty setting:

I mean, we just put one in there anyway, because how else are you supposed to complete the mission?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuangelo wrote:
I mean, we just put one in there anyway, because how else are you supposed to complete the mission?

Yeah, that's odd. Mine had a white cube there too, and the instructions mentioned a seed. I haven't looked at the components, but is it possible to get a seed through a POI while exploring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You gain 1 seed in the set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Angelini
United States
Lake Oswego
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
And the yellow markers placed on astronauts? Do they stick around forever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
indianajo883 wrote:

Ignacy,

That's only if it specifically says to lower Oxygen Production right? If it says -3 02, that just has you subtract from the general supply right?

Thankfully I had the backup panels in place fist so that when I got hit with the negative power production I was still online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nicholson
United States
Leo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuangelo wrote:
Matt_W wrote:
Chuangelo wrote:

First mission, easy difficulty setting:

Thats a sample in the inventory. You can also get them from exploring the map. This cube becomes a seed when you place it in your farm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nicholson
United States
Leo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indianajo883 wrote:
trzewik wrote:
indianajo883 wrote:

Ignacy,

That's only if it specifically says to lower Oxygen Production right? If it says -3 02, that just has you subtract from the general supply right?

Thankfully I had the backup panels in place fist so that when I got hit with the negative power production I was still online.

Correct. There is a distinct difference. I can't remember the exact wording, but it should be pretty clear. There is an example in the malfunction deck...but I don't suggest exploring in there and spoiling it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blnichol wrote:
indianajo883 wrote:
trzewik wrote:
indianajo883 wrote:

Ignacy,

Correct. There is a distinct difference. I can't remember the exact wording, but it should be pretty clear. There is an example in the malfunction deck...but I don't suggest exploring in there and spoiling it.

Cool cuz that's how I played it last night. I never look through cards ever. I like to be surprised. I know some people who read every single card before they play a game, just any game not this one in particular. But why would you want to know ALL the possibilities before you start playing? It spoils the fun of the random even if you know all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.