Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are Mythos cards in the new Cities in Ruin expansion that specifically tell the player that there's a chance a Disaster card may be drawn. This means, if you mix in all general mythos and encounter cards into their respective decks (technically you're supposed to), you'll have to include the Disaster and Devastation decks with each new game of Eldritch Horror you play, even if Shudde M'ell isn't your AO or you're not using prelude cards that specify them; they're not exclusive to the Cities in Ruin expansion.

I find this interesting because it makes it appear like Disasters and Devastation encounters are a new permanent mechanic when I thought they would be used exclusively with Shudde M'ell. If this is the case, it would make sense if any future expansions include more Disasters.

But yeah, just a fair warning for anyone that didn't know and planned on shuffling all mythos cards and not take the Disaster deck to your next game meet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brooks
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the detrimental effect of drawing a disaster card?

I should be getting my copy through any day now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Droogy wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Sometimes it's just negative effects like losing health/sanity or other ailments. But also, there's a chance a city will be devastated, which means that major city is no longer considered a city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Brown
United States
Middleton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking along those lines as well, but adding to the devastation deck would throw off its balance, at least while playing Shudde M'ell or a prelude that focuses on devastation (I think there's two). Maybe it just messes with Shudde M'ell. I'm just thinking this because the deck has 9 of 16 cards devastating the named cities and devastating your named cities is a loss condition. Yeah?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brooks
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarryAqua wrote:
Droogy wrote:

Sometimes it's just negative effects like losing health/sanity or other ailments. But also, there's a chance a city will be devastated, which means that major city is no longer considered a city.

What a great idea. I really like the sound of them cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a city totally destroyed fits the game theme. Don't panic about the devastation cards, I would expect to see more of them in future expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioannis Raptis
Greece
flag msg tools
Xelto wrote:
Having a city totally destroyed fits the game theme. Don't panic about the devastation cards, I would expect to see more of them in future expansions.

what a relief knowing that there will be more expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurelian
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It depends on how many expansions you play, but I'm guessing with all the expansions together it will still be rare to use the disaster deck with other AOs. So I'm planning to leave disasters in the box at game start, but able to pull them out if needed.

Now that FFG have done this, how about another small expansion with more mystic ruins cards and mythos/encounters to put that deck into every game? Would also be great to have more mystic ruins locations when playing against Syzygy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sthill46 wrote:

Now that FFG have done this, how about another small expansion with more mystic ruins cards and mythos/encounters to put that deck into every game? Would also be great to have more mystic ruins locations when playing against Syzygy.

They could always do like they did for AH with the big box Miskatonic Horror Expansion. For those that don't know, this was an "expansion of expansions" that included a small amount of new content and whole lot of extra contents for prior expansions. Another main focus was re-balancing the game for people who played with all the expansions (something that was severely needed). EH doesn't need that. so perhaps a single small box expansions would do. Or a big box, but focus more on just new stuff (some Ancient ones that work with either the main board OR a previous side board for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Keen
Canada
flag msg tools
Some more AO's that use previously released sideboards would be interesting, but I'm not sure they'd do that. It's a nice idea though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sthill46 wrote:

Mystic Ruins deck is one of the decks most in need of more cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Keen
Canada
flag msg tools
Sindriss wrote:

It doesn't get that much use outside of a few specific scenarios... unless you use it in all your games I guess?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skeen77 wrote:
Sindriss wrote:

It doesn't get that much use outside of a few specific scenarios... unless you use it in all your games I guess?

So? I like it and would like to see more variety. A lot of the other decks are starting to get too big while we have others (mystic ruins) that are still too thin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skeen77 wrote:
Some more AO's that use previously released sideboards would be interesting, but I'm not sure they'd do that. It's a nice idea though.

They tend to avoid that because that means a new expansion is dependent on an old expansion. Not everyone owns everything so that can cause some trouble. They have circumvented that before by saying "If x expansion is included, do xyz. If not do abc", so it's not completely out of the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
skeen77 wrote:
(...) that means a new expansion is dependent on an old expansion.
Not necessarily. Another expansion could also use Mystic Ruins whether one has Strange Remnants or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skeen77 wrote:

The fact that they haven't used Nyarlathotep in the Under the Pyramids expansion suggests to me that they'll do just that.

I'd also like to see an "Ancient One" that just has us chasing Herbert West around the world, which would be the third non-Ancient One "Ancient One"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bj Price
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
Organization makes me happy!
badge
"Cult" is what a big congregation calls a little congregation.
mbmbmbmbmb
Disasters playing a roll in a game with Shudde M'ell are a definite thing. Played a game last night against Syzygy (lost ) and had multiple cards drawn that would cause a disaster, 4 disasters total.

First came from the "The End Justifies the Means" yellow mythos in which if I chose to advance active Mystery then I would draw and resolve a disaster, alternatively I could've advanced Doom.

Second came from a Dark Pact one of my investigators acquired.

The third and fourth I was able to stop from happening. They were a part a rumour card "Exploring the Crater". Almost wanted to let that rumour go just to see the results.

I didn't think that disasters would play much of a roll outside of Shudde M'ell until this happened. What a fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Shrugs
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I've had this happen once so far. During my first game against Atlach-Nacha (Dreamlands AO), I drew a single Mythos card that triggered a Disaster.

Somewhat disappointingly, it was one of the less interesting ones...

...'Meteor Shower', which bombards various random spaces on the board and hurts Investigators there, rather than devastating a city...

...which had no game effect because both of my investigators had been defeated during the Reckoning before the Disaster triggered.

However, narratively speaking it was entertaining regardless. They'd just given their lives to kill an unexpectedly tough Shan monster in Rome--my forgetting to bring appropriate weapons didn't help--so (thanks the evocative art on the Disaster card) I couldn't help imagining that their last act was to activate the Shan nest's alien weapons array and target spider hideouts around the globe. Kaboom! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.