Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In short: This variant is a means where, every game year, different placement spots either open or close, offering a cycling of different reward availability over the course of the game.

---
--
-

Last night I played Trickerion: Dahlgaard's Gifts for the second time, and was impressed with the variable worker placement space mechanic included.

Let me see if I can explain this:

Trickerion is a worker placement game, like Viticulture, where the placement spaces have varying rewards, also like Viticulture. Get the left most spot and you attain a reward, the middle spots have a lesser reward, and the right most spot has no reward. In this version of the game, a deck of cards is included that gives a visual representation of action location, with two of the four placement spaces filled in (those are blocked off with player pieces in a disused color). At the end of every turn, as a part of upkeep, you flip a new card and adjust the disks to open or close possible spaces.

Ala:

Anyhoo, this would be a perfect addition to the two player experience in Viticulture. I have yet to mock something up, but it seems pretty simple to do, even if just printed (or scribbled out) on paper. One likely wouldn't even need to make them season specific as, at least with the Tuscany board (the only one I play) all seasons have exactly the same number and proportion of action spaces (at least in terms of what would need to be restricted).

Edit - Three quick commentaries:

1. Per timing, I imagine upkeep on this should occur after the last player passes in winter, but before spring starts.

2. The player who already passed could be tasked with doing this while the last player to pass does their upkeep. In Trickerion, this upkeep takes seconds, though admittedly Viticulture does have more spaces (I still think it wouldn't add much to the play time).

3. It's also worth noting that the distribution of open and blocked spaces are not random in Trickerion, but skew towards the lesser rewards. In any one game, the best spaces are available fairly rarely, making those card draws dramatic and enticing. It lends an incentive for player interaction as both players recognize the rarity (and power) of that option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious and thus subscribed to this thread surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also intrigued. Reminds me a bit of the cycling market in San Juan. If you need confirmation of i terest from players, know that you've got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Moron
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about using the automata of solo play!?
But I must say that I am pretty happy with how the 2 player goes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.