Subject: Am I missing a rule, 3 way stand-off changing alliegance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Leuzinger

Baraboo
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Checking to see if there is a rule I am missing.

In a recent game, when we got down to 3 players all 3 had 7+ coins and 1 card left, and we hit a stand-off. Each player did not want to be the first to launch a coup on another player, knowing the 3rd player would in turn launch a coup and win. So each player would take money to get to 9 coins, then on next turn change a players allegaince dropping back down to 7 coins to keep from ever reaching 10 coins and being forced to coup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Alkemper
Germany
Erfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't the bank run out of money at some point then as the money to change confession goes to the treasury which is kept seperate from the bank?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Leuzinger

Baraboo
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Trollkin wrote:
Shouldn't the bank run out of money at some point then as the money to change confession goes to the treasury which is kept seperate from the bank?

1. The rule book I have does not specify what to do if the bank runs out, but does state that the general actions are always available, telling me that should the bank run out you are to substitute some other tokens.

2. Even if you choose not to honor point one, players could continue to hold out indefinitely claiming to have the Ambassador/Inquisitor. As they neither gain nor lose money in this claim and remain in the 7-9 coin gray area. Only the immediate next player has any incentive to challenge as if they win the challenge, they launch a coup the next turn. But if they lose they become kingmaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rule the game a draw, citing the threefold repetition rule that seems to be needed here in order to end the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.