Subject: Anyone else done after Dunwich Legacy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After buying 2 cores, both stand-alones, all of Dunwich Legacy, sleeving everything, a Hobby Lobby storage case and FFG playmat I have concluded I don't like this game as much as I had hoped.

It being the newest Arkham Files game I assumed the rules would have been more elegant and streamlined. But it's too fiddley and cumbersome. The game mechanics seem to overshadow the story and gameplay.

I just hope I can sell it for a decent price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am dramatically the opposite. I've been long searching for a narrative, campaign style game that actually engaged me and after going through both editions of Descent, and the LotR card game, the Pathfinder card game, and T.I.M.E. Stories, this one has knocked it out of the park for me.

(I've also backed Gloomhaven 2nd printing, and I expect that one to work as well).

I'm not sure there will ever be a FFG game that will be described as "elegant", but I feel like they've finally nailed what they've been going for with the "2 rule book" thing for a while. Almost every rule question I've been able to resolve in less than a minute using the compete rules. I don't think it's cumbersome at all, and it's really not very fiddly (to be fair, it is among the lightest games I play regularly, so our contexts may be very different).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of over purchasing followed by disappointment is how I was able to cheaply buy multiple cores with expansions of FFG's other LCG; LotR, CoC, GoT, and Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not done with the game, but I found the monthly drip of adventures to be disjointing for my campaigns. Next cycle I am planning to wait until the whole cycle is released, see how people feel about it, then probably buy the whole thing at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lo
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm in the same boat as you, minus the sleeving, storage, and playmat, but I haven't yet decided if I'm done after Dunwich Legacy. As has been noted in another thread, the next cycle, Path to Carcosa looks to be more focused on multiplayer given the new mechanics. Since I play this game mostly solo, that is somewhat prohibitive.

I've enjoyed the game since I started playing, but I'm also weary of a long-term commitment to buying more and more of an LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played through all but Arkham Horror: The Card Game – Lost in Time and Space: Mythos Pack, and this week I finally picked up a second core. I'll play that final scenario sometime in the next week or so. I agree with Chris, this game delivers what it promised, and I'm satisfied.

I'm also excited for Arkham Horror: The Card Game – The Path to Carcosa: Expansion, as a big fan of the jauniste "mythos," and I'm glad that they're tackling this setting early, rather than leaving it for last the way FFG did in Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just started the Dunwich campaign and I am already excited to play through it once again using very different investigators and decks. The story seems to be mostly what you make of what happens within the scenarios more than just the flavor text you read at the beginning and end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gone back and forth. I find the game to be largely excellent, but getting the motivation to set the game up for solo runs and build the decks was admittedly a bit of a chore. I stopped playing the game for a couple months and thought about selling it, or stop purchasing additional expansions after Dunwich. But then I played the game multiplayer for the first time at Dice Tower Con and it reminded me of what is so great about this game. I immediately put in a preorder for Carcosa.

Now, I have two pre-made decks (Agnes and Skids) using cards from one base plus all the Dunwich expansions so that I can be ready to play at a moments notice. I find that deck building is a separate entity for me relative to game play. When I want to play, I want to PLAY. I will often deck build on a night when I have no intention to play. The worst thing you can do is try to deck build when you want to play in short order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game and will eagerly anticipate every pack for the foreseeable future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jordano

San Diego
California
msg tools
mb
Although I really like the game, I think I'm content after my Dunwich Legacy purchase. I already own many other LCG and board and card games. I'm not following another one down the rabbit hole. Also, one thing I absolutely hate in games is player cards that do negative things to you (WEAKNESSES). Being a solo player, I end up being awarded all the scenario based ones. Also, the randomness of the token bag is kind of lame after awhile. This is the only LCG that does this and it defies all strategy at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Meyer
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP, LCG games are designed for repeated plays over many years, rather than super flashy/immersive first game(s). When the players do not know the rules, the mechanics take a lot of attention as you described. But once everyone knows the rules the mechanics become routine and the theme and story shines through a lot more.

Of course this is opinion, but I am just saying that LCG/CCG/TCG games tend to feel this way more than typical board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
I'm not done with the game, but I found the monthly drip of adventures to be disjointing for my campaigns. Next cycle I am planning to wait until the whole cycle is released, see how people feel about it, then probably buy the whole thing at once.

This is where I am. Carcosa looks great, but I kind of want to see what people think first, particularly if it plays solo despite the new mechanisms.

Also, the hard stop in one of the Dunwich scenarios if you aren't strong in exactly one particular skill put me off quite a bit. One of the strengths of the game to that point had been that any investigator could find their own way to accomplish things. This scenario not only prevents many decks from using their compensating abilities, but outright ends the entire campaign for those decks. I'm inclined to wait and see if future campaigns have such flaws before getting invested in them.

Even if I pass on Carcosa, I intend to continue paying attention to further ones and get the ones that sound appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started playing through the Dunwich Legacy campaign for the second time.

Most thematic, fun, RPG-like card game ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:

Also, the hard stop in one of the Dunwich scenarios if you aren't strong in exactly one particular skill put me off quite a bit. One of the strengths of the game to that point had been that any investigator could find their own way to accomplish things. This scenario not only prevents many decks from using their compensating abilities, but outright ends the entire campaign for those decks. I'm inclined to wait and see if future campaigns have such flaws before getting invested in them.

Which scenario and which skill? I've played through every Dunwich scenario at least once and never noticed this. I'd like to avoid it, or at least be aware before I play again. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
CSerpent wrote:

Which scenario and which skill? I've played through every Dunwich scenario at least once and never noticed this. I'd like to avoid it, or at least be aware before I play again. Thanks!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The main locations on Where Doom Awaits. The Investigate is an action on the card, which means you can't use other actions to complete them.
That means Flashlight, Duke, Rite of Seeking, or anything else that "investigates" but is its own action.
And of course, you can't beat the scenario without doing those investigates

It's easily missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
The main locations on Where Doom Awaits. The Investigate is an action on the card, which means you can't use other actions to complete them.
That means Flashlight, Duke, Rite of Seeking, or anything else that "investigates" but is its own action.

It's easily missed.

You're conscientious to catch the difficulty; some people might not notice that, and it's even possible that the designers didn't intend it. (Especially in light of that Dice erratum in the latest FAQ.) You could fix that with a simple house ruling.
i.e. "When you successfully investigate at this location ..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
DancingFool wrote:
CSerpent wrote:

It's easily missed.

Thanks!
Ah, yeah, I vaguely remember thinking about that issue when I played now that you mention it. That's a shame. I imagine when you're cranking this stuff out, little weird things like that will slip in. I wonder if many people brought it to their attention? If they're aware of it, they can hopefully avoid things like that in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. It would have been fine that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
Exactly. It would have been fine that way.

It wasn't an issue for us, because Streetwise Jenny was doing all of our investigating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:

I don't think I've seen a single window at an store, online or otherwise, where everything was available to buy "at once". I'd be surprised if you ever have this opportunity unless you have a FLGS owner willing to hold things for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself, SirRoke !

HUGE +1

I'm halfway through my Dunwich campaign replay.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:

I don't think I've seen a single window at an store, online or otherwise, where everything was available to buy "at once". I'd be surprised if you ever have this opportunity unless you have a FLGS owner willing to hold things for you.

Sure, I might have to stagger purchases depending on availability. My point is that I want to be able to start and finish my campaign in a matter of days or weeks instead of over the span of half a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
SirRoke wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself, SirRoke !

HUGE +1

I'm halfway through my Dunwich campaign replay.

Chick

I am almost finished with my 3rd time through the Dunwich Legacy.
I have played the core campaign 7 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big full-steam ahead on this game. But I also am not inundating myself with multiple plays and I very seldom play solo.

I regularly play this and Gloomhaven at the moment, but also throw in Eldritch Horror, mansions of madness 2nd ed, and and Dead of Winter when I can. As long as I don't overplay it over and over and over, I find the gameplay and deck building enough of a draw to keep investing.

I can't wait to see what the KiY has in store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angela Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
cferejohn wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:

teamcovenant currently has dunwich and all 6 mythos in stock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.