J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
You know, I'm not opposed to allowing insurance companies to offer bare-bones insurance plans to younger, healthy individuals that are cheaper than more extensive plans. But it worries me there is no mechanism that will keep insurance companies from charging the old and sick and female more for insurance.

Btw, I AM opposed to HEALTH insurance companies, but that's another story.

http://us.cnn.com/2017/07/13/politics/senate-health-care-bil...

It's amazing how they (the GOP) still just isn't getting it. When they go to their town hall meetings, they get an earful from people who finally can afford insurance or finally qualify for Medicaid about how these people are terrified they will lose coverage. So, being great listeners, they keep cutting Medicaid coverage and reducing subsidies so people can buy insurance.

It's like they've turned into my (former) teenaged daughters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
You know, I'm not opposed to allowing insurance companies to offer bare-bones insurance plans to younger, healthy individuals that are cheaper than more extensive plans. But it worries me there is no mechanism that will keep insurance companies from charging the old and sick and female more for insurance.

If you allow the first, you will definitely get the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I believe that is the story. The insurance industry pays off legislatures and fights single payer, which IMO is the only way to go. Insurance companies are leeches and shouldn't be in charge of my health. The reason we're the only developed county that doesn't have single payer is because of our system of legal bribes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dominionist Solution: Hand Off Health Care And The Social Safety Net To The Churches

remorseless1 wrote:

http://us.cnn.com/2017/07/13/politics/senate-health-care-bil...

It's amazing how they (the GOP) still just isn't getting it. When they go to their town hall meetings, they get an earful from people who finally can afford insurance or finally qualify for Medicaid about how these people are terrified they will lose coverage. So, being great listeners, they keep cutting Medicaid coverage and reducing subsidies so people can buy insurance.

It's like they've turned into my (former) teenaged daughters.

Cruz's amendment is purposefully designed to make the government healthcare system fail because Ted is a Dominionist and Dominionists don't believe that a secular federal government should be involved in any aspect of healthcare or pensions because it's "unBiblical".

No, they would rather that the church take over those programs.

> Excerpts from the July 13, 2017 Right Wing Watch news story by Safiyah Riddle entitled:

Jim Garlow Calls For A National Tax To Fund Church-Provided Healthcare, Saying: "Hand The Social Safety Net Including Healthcare To Churches In Order To Eliminate Able-Bodied Freeloaders"

Last month, right-wing pastor Jim Garlow was interviewed by Megan West of the organization My Faith Votes, where he claimed that “Healthcare is God’s issue” and suggested that the government should impose a tax on citizens that could be given to churches so that they could provide healthcare to the poor.

According to Garlow, any government healthcare program is “doomed to fail” because the Constitution lists the “enumerated powers of what the government is allowed to do and can do, and one of them is not healthcare.” Instead, Garlow argued, the government ought to defer to the church on this issue "because God has already designed a format” for properly providing healthcare to a nation.

The “format” for healthcare that Garlow proposed has three tiers: the “government of personal responsibility, government of the family, and government of the church,” notably excluding “the civil government,” which he said has no role in providing healthcare.

“First of all,” Garlow argued, healthcare is “my own personal responsibility: I have to make decisions for my health. If I am not exercising properly, this is a terrible confession to make, if I am not properly exercising right now like I should, then I have to get that corrected it or I will pay a high price for it.”

The next safety net should be the “family unit,” Garlow reasoned, because “I can take care of my children much better than Donald Trump can. He’s a good man, but he can’t take care of my kids.”

The final resource for those in need of healthcare, Garlow suggested, ought to be the church because Christians are already commanded to care for the poor and the widows and the orphans:

Jim Garlow wrote:

If the church were freed up from the encroachment and the severe over-regulation in our culture and the severe over-taxation of our culture, the church could resume what it did very successfully throughout history.

Garlow insisted that “the best medical care and welfare benefits can be done by the church” and should be funded through a “once-every-three-years 10% taxation on people” that would allocate money to “the faith communities.” According to Garlow, allowing the church to provide healthcare would “get rid of the freeloaders that abuse welfare.”

In the anticipation that some might object to his unconstitutional conflation of church and state, Garlow insisted that his plan actually puts the church and state “in their proper lanes.”

> Excerpts from the July 25, 2016 TheosWatch news story entitled:

Pastor Jim Garlow Declares: Government Should Let The Church Eliminate The Poor People

Jim Garlow

Extreme conservative, Pastor Jim Garlow, came on the "Janet Mefferd Today" radio show and proposed that the government should stop giving “health and welfare” services and let the churches take over so they can work on getting rid of all “freeloaders.”

“This is going to sound pretty radical to the ears of most listeners,” Garlow admitted. “We’re so out of tune with Scripture. For several hundred years, we’re, for the first part of the history of this country, we did a good job at the health and welfare of people because it was in the role of the church, and the church has the DNA to do that. The family’s the number one institution, number two and the church steps in, and then the community at large, and then finally the role of the government. That’s kind of a pecking order.”

Garlow pointed out that “health and welfare is 51% of the national budget. The government wasn’t designed to do that. It does a terrible job because it can’t isolate out freeloaders, for example. Waste, corruption, fraud. Everybody knows about it, but it never gets corrected.” (The 51% figure he cites consists primarily of Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.)

Garlow insisted that if the “100,000 Bible-believing churches” in the U.S. “were the epicenter of the health and welfare for people, the freeloaders would be gone, so that would take an enormous load off, the taxation off of people from overregulation of government would be gone, so people would be giving more to their local church.”

Jim Garlow wrote:

If we followed what ancient theocracy in Israel did, they had a tax, 10 percent every three years, for the poor. That’s 3.5% every year. Let’s suppose that somehow that went to the local worship centers across America, it was administrated to the people by hundreds of volunteers from every church who could make a difference. People might say, "Well, that just can’t possibly work." Well, let me ask you, "How is it working right now?" Pretty terrible. Pathetic, quite frankly.

Garlow admits that “the theocracy of ancient Israel is not the same as the constitutional republic in America” but claimed “there are principles that can come across the centuries, that can come to a different form of government and make sense and would work if we would just allow government to be what it’s supposed to be, Biblically and constitutionally, church, be what you’re supposed to be, we could step back up to the plate and do what we did so well. There’s plenty of evidence that the church, for a couple thousand years, did a phenomenal job at meeting the health and welfare needs.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You need healthy people to pay for decent insurance so that granpa doesn't have to pay $1,000 a month for his.

It's how insurance works.

I agree it's a shit system, hence we need universal healthcare (which does much the same thing, but streamlines it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.