Brian Scott
United States
Randolph
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Always ask yourself, "What would Joan of Arc do?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I apparently have too much free time on my hands (and was just curious) I calculated the average number of command couplets that can be expected each turn. Recall that the number of couplets is the difference between the two players' initiative d6 rolls, with the special case that if the rolls are the same the number of couplets is three.

The average, if I got it right, is 2.44 command couplets per turn. The most common result is 3 couplets, which will occur a full 1/3 of the time. Next most common is the dreaded (at least if you're trying to attack and get things done) 1 couplet, which will occur about 28% of the time. This is followed by 2, 4, and 5 couplets, which will happen roughly 22%, 11%, and 5.5% of the time respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Brian

Thanks for this analysis. It does help one plan an attack, and is great fodder for discussions about design and balance.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New to the game here, I'd imagine a Mass is one way to alleviate a low number of couplets and launch an attack. However, before activation the enemy could potentially break up the Mass with a Fire attack.

Interesting stuff, John.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.