Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
About a week ago, AGKorson posted a thread (Should I open it?) concerning an unexpected item in the Math Trade package that he received from me.

I didn't see the thread until today! I had no idea that so many people were invested in the contents!

The other 6 users who got games from me in the trade got a surprise envelope as well. On the outside of each was written "Do not open. Ever." This, of course, is a reference to

Spoiler (click to reveal)
the famous hidden packet located under the component tray in Risk Legacy.

On the back of each envelope was a wax seal. I received my seal as a gift for being the best man in my friend's wedding a couple months ago. These 7 envelopes were the first time I used it.

Because I only had one stick of wax and had zero experience using it, I didn't know if I'd be able to do all 7 seals properly. As a result, the first couple didn't get enough wax and looked, well...like this:

For those wondering, the "Sti" that you see peeking out is
the beginning of "Still learning!" that I had to write on a couple of the envelopes.

Inside each envelope was a mundane letter admonishing them for breaking the rules and asking them to give my game a good home. Each was identical with the exception of their first name and the name of the game they received.

But wait! AGKorson had a somewhat unsettling reaction to the other thing that was included in the envelope (something that wolvehunde noticed from the original thread):

wolvehunde wrote:
Looking at the picture it appears to be either a gift card or a promo card. you can see a shadow of the object inside.

Another user, burrie, did a bit of stalking sleuthing and posted the following in the original thread:

burrie wrote:
Look at CaptAwesome's trade rating.

Another user (sweetgotham) says in his feedback:

Came with a "surprise". 10 out of 10 will be creeped out again.

Obviously he can answer your question.

So what was it?

A surprise Hannibal!

The above gif isn't working in image preview, so you can click so you can click here if it's still broken.

And a close up of the front and back of the card:

Surely it wasn't worth the wait, but hopefully you get a chuckle out of it :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you have a friend over for dinner and surprise them... or do I misunderstand the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Soleia wrote:

I love UHF :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:

STUPID! YOU SO STUPID!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
I refuse to read any of the spoilers on principle. Society without rules is chaos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when is the Kickstarter for Surprise Hannibal and will it be coming with minis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the first stretch goal is a single serve of fava beans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
texascpa wrote:
So when is the Kickstarter for Surprise Hannibal and will it be coming with minis?

My sister came up with the idea for these a few years ago and they've made their way around the world. I imagine if it wasn't such an expensive IP, she would've done a Kickstarter by now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
casualcasual wrote:
I believe the first stretch goal is a single serve of fava beans.

Still better than potato salad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprise Hannibal on its own...kinda lame.

Surprise Hannibal inside an envelope marked "Do Not Open, Ever." That's cool.

Pete (totally approves)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
plezercruz wrote:

Depends on how one uses it. I left a few around Cedar Point a couple years ago (including dropping one on a roller coaster seat I just used). Seeing the confused face of the dude that picked it up was wonderful.

I dropped about 20 of them around work a couple years ago, as well, and I saw them appearing in people's offices and around the coffee maker. Heard people talk about them for nearly a year before telling a single person (in a building with 200-300 people) that I was behind it.

It kinda turns into a thing like The Game (which you just lost) if you let yourself enjoy it :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptAwesome wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Depends on how one uses it. I left a few around Cedar Point a couple years ago (including dropping one on a roller coaster seat I just used). Seeing the confused face of the dude that picked it up was wonderful.

I dropped about 20 of them around work a couple years ago, as well, and I saw them appearing in people's offices and around the coffee maker. Heard people talk about them for nearly a year before telling a single person (in a building with 200-300 people) that I was behind it.

It kinda turns into a thing like The Game (which you just lost) if you let yourself enjoy it :-)
Well that's just more of the same. Secret Hannibal is really cool only if there is some context (i.e. if it's somewhere hidden, especially where you shouldn't look). Leave it out on a coffee table and it's just lame. Put it behind a painting in a museum or something and it's awesome!

Mailing it to unsuspecting game recipients and telling them not to open it...genius!

Pete (might have to join in)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
plezercruz wrote:
Leave it out on a coffee table and it's just lame. Put it behind a painting in a museum or something and it's awesome!

A lot of people are just plebs. This is why we can't have nice things ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravage Board Gaming
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pffft. I play this game with a picture of Mr. Bean. Much more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.