7 Posts

Squad Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: Leaders in close combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benito Mussolini

Washington
msg tools
Is there any advantage to bringing a leader with me into combat? I.E. Do leaders have any effect in close combat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benito Mussolini

Washington
msg tools
Here's the situation: A German 4-6-7 squad, LMG, and a 9-2 leader (Lt Stahler) are advancing into a hex occupied by a Russian 4-4-7 squad. Is there any advantage to bringing Lt Stahler with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Yes.

SL Rules wrote:
20.6 The leadership modifiers of each leader in the same hex may be applied to one predesignated Close Combat dice roll per player turn.

So, there is an advantage, but there is also a risk that you lose the close combat and possibly your leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benito Mussolini

Washington
msg tools
Sweet, thanks for the quick response!
I decided to attack with him, a couple questions ensued. How do you resolve ratios that aren't on the table? I.E. odds of 2:3? I just decided to divide the kill number for 3:2 (6) by half to get 3. I'm sure that there is a better explanation though.
A couple things I learned: NEVER charge across a street when there are enemy troops adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

shake
That's a good lesson.
I once ran a whole horde of Russians across a street knowing there was only a single leader manning a machine gun at the end of it, thinking, "Ah, he's at half firepower. I'll be OK." Nope. Wiped me out!! It's good to be afraid of open spaces.

In close combat (or anywhere else), you can only use the ratios provided. 2-3 odds would be considered 1-2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Clinton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Generally and in this game, you round odds down in favor of the defender if not listed exactly on the chart. Most of the older games lack a 3:2 ratio anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benito Mussolini

Washington
msg tools
Oh ok, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.