Andrew Orel
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

A new expasion for the North Sea Trilogy is live on KS and the completist in me is screaming for it: https://rpggeek.com/boardgameexpansion/227514/explorers-nort...
I'm only interested in the base pledge, $50 NZD (about $47 AUD) for the expansion, which includes postage.

$40 for every additional copy and the 11th is free. Sorry for the horrible formatting, but I have no idea how to insert a table into the post.
All in NZD:

Copies- Individual price----- Per unit price
1------- $50------------------- $50.00
2------- $90------------------- $45.00
3------- $130------------------ $43.33
4------- $170------------------ $42.50
5------- $210------------------ $42.00
6------- $250------------------ $41.67
7------- $290------------------ $41.43
8------- $330------------------ $41.25
9------- $370------------------ $41.11
10------ $410------------------ $41.00
11------ $410------------------ $37.27

It makes a lot of sense to get that magic 11th as it drops the price considerably (around $35 AUD!). Given the amount of money involved, I'd prefer a retailer like Charles from LFG to be the organiser (if he's interested!) If not, I'm happy to organise, as long as I can get the funds fairly quickly (this missus would not take kindly to an oversize bill at the end of the month!)

From the KS:
Group together and save on shipping! For every 10th copy you pledge for, of a commonly valued product, you will get 1 extra copy for free. So pledge for 10 copies of Rocks of Ruin/Fields of Fame/Hall of Heroes/Runesaga and get 1 more for free. Or pledge for 10 copies of Shipwrights/Raiders/Explorers and get 1 more for free. There are a few things to keep in mind for group pledges:
•Group pledges must be for a single-language. One group cannot get a mix of English and French versions
•Group pledges must use an existing Reward Level and use the add-ons prices above. Remember to take the shipping costs of the chosen reward into account

20 days to go!

Cheers,
Andrew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hurman
Australia
Oxley
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm after the Raiders expansions and possibly the collectors box pending finance but would probably just get from LFG or pre-order as I think that is probably due sooner than this campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael nut
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Binny
Australia
Wanniassa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too, I'll cancel my pledge for Rocks of Ruin once you confirm we are go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bishop
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Let me chat to Shem and I will see what I can do.

Charles
LFG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Orel
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks Charles thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd join the group buy if we can get meaningful numbers/Charles to lock in something great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hey guys,

For those with the base game, could you please give me your thoughts on game play: I've played Raiders and really like it.

Cheerz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hurman
Australia
Oxley
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
batcut wrote:
Hey guys,

For those with the base game, could you please give me your thoughts on game play: I've played Raiders and really like it.

Cheerz.

Hi Paul,

I don't think liking Raiders will give you much of a clue as to whether you will like Explorers. I also really like Raiders.

As you know, they share theme and the excellent art. However, you don't get as much of that awesome character art in Explorers because of the type of game it is (no cards but lots of landscape tiles). From a component perspective, I feel like you are getting more value from Raiders than Explorers because of the extra character art and the metal coins. The ships and animals in Explorers are fun though.

Explorers was fine but I'd prefer to play other games so I sold it (well I sold Raiders too but then re-bought it when I came to my senses). Nothing wrong with Explorers and nothing bugged me about it. It just didn't really excite me and there are plenty of other games to choose from so I didn't need to keep it. From what I've read, there are plenty of other people that do really like this game though.

From memory, in Explorers you lay down a tile and then can choose a few different actions such as move Vikings/ships, load/unload Vikings/livestock onto ships, create settlements etc. Scoring comes from set collection (the livestock you have brought back to the mainland), area control (the number of Vikings and settlements on each island) and maybe a couple of other things.

Like most games, it combines a few different mechanisms. The one that stood out for me was pick up and delivery because you are using that to accomplish those other things like set collection and area control.

cheers,

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McPherson
Australia
Tuggeranong
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'd like to join in once the price is known.

Paul, I love Raiders, and also have Explorers, and like it a lot. In short...Raiders is worker placement, and Explorers is pickup and deliver. They don't give you the same experience, although the theme and art make it appear so. If you like pickup and deliver and love the theme, jump on board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bishop
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Hi all,

We will have it for $40 AUD including shipping for those that commit now. At this stage I have pledged for 8 copies.

Charles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael nut
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Confirming my commitment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael nut
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
batcut wrote:
Hey guys,

Cheerz.

Paul, Rob summed it up fairly well but my 2 cents (or less) is that it's a combination mini puzzle (have you played Fjords?) with the tile laying, basically building the world you can explore and action point allowance. There's a variety of way to score points (similar to Raiders) but mainly to do with set collection, either collecting animals, attacking other ships (not players), raiding settlements and building structures to help with area control. Points are on an increasing scale as it becomes harder to get the majority of limited components eg 1 is 1 point, 2 is 3 points, 3 is six points etc.

The tile laying aspect has some strategy around which tile you lay (from your hand of three) as to whether you help yourself complete islands or if you make it hard for opponents to complete theirs (you only score for controlled, complete islands). That's the extent of the direct interaction although you're all moving around on the same board and other players can attack settlements you had your eye on or steal the livestock you wanted but there's no ability to directly hit another player.

There's multiple viable strategies to win and the balance around quick, easy points and more, harder to obtain points is excellent. It's very simple to learn and anyone can become good fairly quickly (similar to Raiders) but adapting your strategy on the fly and doing it better than the other players is a challenge. Overall I'd highly recommend it, it plays quicker than Raiders with the game end being more predictable (when all the tiles run out). There's a bit of a stall late game as players work out how to most efficiently use their remaining actions but that just adds to the tension.

The artwork is the main overlap although it's far less prevalent in this than Raiders but the point scoring and components will all be familiar.

Go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hurman
Australia
Oxley
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Charles - if you're also doing Raiders expansions for that price I'll take one of each.

If you have access to this collectors box, I'm interested in that too:
http://postks.tictail.com/product/collectors-box-pre-order

By the way, really good interview with Charles on The Dice Men Cometh episode 173. It's mostly about the LFG event in Bankstown but he also talks about the board gaming community etc more generally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen McPherson
Australia
Tuggeranong
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Charles. I'll take one of those for $40, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in, Charles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Binny
Australia
Wanniassa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in please Charles, I'll cancel my pledge now'
Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Orel
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Confirming one copy for myself at $40, thanks Charles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.