Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJones6911 wrote:
when there is only room for 1 opinion, you are living in a dictatorship.
when there is room for no opinions at all, you are living in a cult.

your collective desire for political correctness has rendered this forum useless for the purpose of conveying an actual thought.

and of course it is beyond obvious why some of you won't want to admit it.
after all, your consent is how we got here.

I thought this was a Cult of Dictator with Personality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJones6911 wrote:

your collective desire for political correctness has rendered this forum useless for the purpose of conveying an actual thought.

I was moderated recently. Twice. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea why. I deleted the posts anyway, with no argument or dissent.

Why? Because this site is sort of a "dictatorship." The website is privately owned, and the owner gets to decide what the site is supposed to look like. He may consider my opinion or not, but it's not my call.

It's not your call either. Your consent is irrelevant. The collective desire is irrelevent. Everything in your post is irrelevant. If you don't like how BGG is run, that's your call, and you have to choose either to post here anyway, or not to. But don't go around posting manifestos about how this place is nondemocratic... it's not supposed to be.

Pete (wonders where people get these strange notions that web forums should be Constitutionally administered)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Pete (wonders where people get these strange notions that web forums should be Constitutionally administered)

I blame the mashup craze...in this case, some BGGer's mashup of the site with their ownership of something else ... perhaps extrapolate that concept to the internet, and there ya' go.

Throw in the blurring of ideals with the cold hard steel of reality, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:

Good band. A breath of fresh air during that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
DaveyJones6911 wrote:

I was moderated recently. Twice. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea why. I deleted the posts anyway, with no argument or dissent.

Why? Because this site is sort of a "dictatorship." The website is privately owned, and the owner gets to decide what the site is supposed to look like. He may consider my opinion or not, but it's not my call.

It's not your call either. Your consent is irrelevant. The collective desire is irrelevent. Everything in your post is irrelevant. If you don't like how BGG is run, that's your call, and you have to choose either to post here anyway, or not to. But don't go around posting manifestos about how this place is nondemocratic... it's not supposed to be.

Yeah, some people just can't stand to be moderated on a private board that they go out of their way to sign up for and have agreed to act a certain way to use. It is strange.

I was also moderated recently (first time ever!) and did I decry the constitutional illegalities of it? Nah, I knew I deserved it, but left the post up because I stand by those jerkish words I wrote (and it netted me six and a half geek gold, so others probably agreed). But if they demanded I delete it, I would have. Not my site not my rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Why wasn't I informed that there were cult memberships available?

Candles, chalked geometry, deshabillé, secret handshakes - I'm really down with it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fifteenkeys wrote:
Nah, I knew I deserved it, but left the post up because I stand by those jerkish words I wrote (and it netted me six and a half geek gold, so others probably agreed). But if they demanded I delete it, I would have. Not my site not my rules.

What if you *didn't* think you deserved it? What if you saw statements far more incendiary; but you were the one chosen to be moderated.

It's like getting a speeding ticket for doing 65 in a 55; while others - in the left lane - are doing 80 .....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
fifteenkeys wrote:
Nah, I knew I deserved it, but left the post up because I stand by those jerkish words I wrote (and it netted me six and a half geek gold, so others probably agreed). But if they demanded I delete it, I would have. Not my site not my rules.

What if you *didn't* think you deserved it? What if you saw statements far more incendiary; but you were the one chosen to be moderated.

It's like getting a speeding ticket for doing 65 in a 55; while others - in the left lane - are doing 80 .....

and yet, 65 in a 55 zone is still breaking the laws/rules. you don't get to complain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
Lemur wrote:
fifteenkeys wrote:

and yet, 65 in a 55 zone is still breaking the laws/rules. you don't get to complain

Not denying that it's not.

But, shouldn't the law apply to all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
Lemur wrote:
fifteenkeys wrote:

I know that in my state, the police can selectively enforce speeding laws. They don't have to stop everyone speeding, and are free to cull the herd, as it were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Westie wrote:
Lemur wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
Lemur wrote:
fifteenkeys wrote:

I know that in my state, the police can selectively enforce speeding laws. They don't have to stop everyone speeding, and are free to cull the herd, as it were.

I'm sure that happens all the time. I once nearly got a ticket for doing 58 on a major interstate (in the right lane, where - literally - cars were zooming by me). I even said to the cop, "Was I the only one you could actually catch?"

I only lucked out because he got another (more emergent) call.

My point here (and there) though; is -- is that right? Shouldn't "laws" be laws for all?

It's tangential to the OP though; just something I thought when the person said "he deserved it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
Lemur wrote:
fifteenkeys wrote:

Theoretically, sure.

Realistically? That's not going to be possible.

Pete (doesn't think that makes it invalid to only partially enforce)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Lemur wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
Lemur wrote:
fifteenkeys wrote:

Theoretically, sure.

But in the real world (not in the BGG world, clearly) the more egregious law breakers DO get punished far more often than the others. People going 10 over don't typically get pulled over, but people doing 20 over definitely do. Unless you're driving in Chicago, where you're more likely to get pulled over if you aren't doing AT LEAST 25 over the speed limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
Lemur wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
Lemur wrote:
fifteenkeys wrote:

Theoretically, sure.

But in the real world (not in the BGG world, clearly) the more egregious law breakers DO get punished far more often than the others. People going 10 over don't typically get pulled over, but people doing 20 over definitely do. Unless you're driving in Chicago, where you're more likely to get pulled over if you aren't doing AT LEAST 25 over the speed limit.
80 in a 55 is pretty common around here.

Pete (thinks you're probably right)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.