Hide
23 Posts

Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62» Forums » Rules

Subject: How do French place bases? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zach larue
msg tools
I feel silly asking this but I've looked through the manual a few times and can't seem to figure out how the French place new bases on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
huskalator wrote:
I feel silly asking this but I've looked through the manual a few times and can't seem to figure out how the French place new bases on the map.

Deploy Special Activity, generally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the term "pieces" applies to Bases as well as cubes.
Deploy is also how you shift Bases around on the map, which you might want to do sometimes.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
Yes, the term "pieces" applies to Bases as well as cubes.
Deploy is also how you shift Bases around on the map, which you might want to do sometimes.

Brian

The only other option I see at all for placing French Bases is the unshaded text on the "Development" Event Card (currently card #54 but will be card #55 with the corrected deck).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that too, but "waiting for Card #55" is not a viable strategy!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Geisler

Santa Fe
New Mexico
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's take this to the next step. When I place a government base I assume I have to move two cubes from where the base was placed to the available forces box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Why would you do that?
There is nothing in the rules that remotely suggests that for the Government player.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
Yes, that too, but "waiting for Card #55" is not a viable strategy!

Brian

It is if I get to shuffle devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leuck
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks, I came here (and registered for Board Game Geek) to ask this very question.

For the life of me I couldn't figure this out either and assumed the "pieces" terminology in Deploy referred to Troops and Police, and that there must be some higher cost in resources (or swapping out Troops for a base -- like the Government Train operation in A Distant Plain) for moving a base to the board. I'm glad to have that cleared up!

So if I use Deploy, I can move five French Troops and one Base from Available, as long as those pieces are all in Available, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohk321 wrote:
Thanks, I came here (and registered for Board Game Geek) to ask this very question.

For the life of me I couldn't figure this out either and assumed the "pieces" terminology in Deploy referred to Troops and Police, and that there must be some higher cost in resources (or swapping out Troops for a base -- like the Government Train operation in A Distant Plain) for moving a base to the board. I'm glad to have that cleared up!

So if I use Deploy, I can move five French Troops and one Base from Available, as long as those pieces are all in Available, correct?

Correct. Keep in mind that only French pieces may be placed during Deploy and only Algerian cubes during Train. This doesn't affect base placement since all bases are French, but I just figured I'd mention the restriction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ohk321 wrote:

"Piece" is explicitly defined in the Key Terms Index (p. 18) as a Base, Troop, Police or Guerrilla.

Note also that you move the pieces among the Available box and up to three selected spaces.
You don't necessarily have to have things in the Available box involved at all (though it is the main method to get French pieces onto the map).
So you can use Deploy to do some strategic redeployment of Troops and Police around on the map at the same time without having to do a separate Troop Lift and Garrison, and move some Bases too.
Just keep in mind the limit of 6 FRENCH pieces, and the spaces which may be selected (Cities/ Sectors with Bases/ Sectors with Government Control).

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leuck
United States
flag msg tools
ltmurnau wrote:
"Piece" is explicitly defined in the Key Terms Index (p. 18) as a Base, Troop, Police or Guerrilla.

Note also that you move the pieces among the Available box and up to three selected spaces.
You don't necessarily have to have things in the Available box involved at all (though it is the main method to get French pieces onto the map).
So you can use Deploy to do some strategic redeployment of Troops and Police around on the map at the same time without having to do a separate Troop Lift and Garrison, and move some Bases too.
Just keep in mind the limit of 6 FRENCH pieces, and the spaces which may be selected (Cities/ Sectors with Bases/ Sectors with Government Control).

Brian

Awesome, thank you so much. This is incredibly helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome.

It's interesting to see how many rules and assumptions people unconsciously "port" from one game to another.
All these games belong to the same general family of COIN, but there are subtle and important differences between all of them, which is as it should be to fit the historical circumstances.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
It's interesting to see how many rules and assumptions people unconsciously "port" from one game to another.

Assumption came up the other day that guerillas would automatically hide after marching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
astroglide wrote:
ltmurnau wrote:

Assumption came up the other day that guerillas would automatically hide after marching.

As far as I know, that "Go Underground after March" rule is limited to Falling Sky. At least, I cannot think of any other COIN game where that happens. I think in all of the other games, Underground/Active status stays the same after Marching unless a rule explicitly requires a piece be Activated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
Yep.

I guess it is easier to hide your movements when the enemy doesn't have access to satellites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gray
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is any consolation I had no idea either. Thank you for asking the question. (First COIN... muddling through the rules myself :/).

Additional question for anyone: for deploy does up to 6 French Pieces include French police? I assume yes given the definition of "piece".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rooster wrote:
If it is any consolation I had no idea either. Thank you for asking the question. (First COIN... muddling through the rules myself :/).

Additional question for anyone: for deploy does up to 6 French Pieces include French police? I assume yes given the definition of "piece".

It does, since, as you pointed out, a piece is a base, troop, police or guerrilla.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rooster wrote:

Since you are a COIN newbie, I will offer this piece of advice. Read the rules as literally as possible. If that still leaves you uncertain, look in the glossary to see if any terms in the rule are defined there, again reading those definitions literally. I cannot tell you how often following this approach has helped me get through otherwise-confusing situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave, listen to this man!
thumbsup

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scottland wrote:
The_Rooster wrote:

Since you are a COIN newbie, I will offer this piece of advice. Read the rules as literally as possible. If that still leaves you uncertain, look in the glossary to see if any terms in the rule are defined there, again reading those definitions literally. I cannot tell you how often following this approach has helped me get through otherwise-confusing situations.

+1

Furthermore, in any COIN game I have played:

If it says "cube," in means any cube of any kind.
If it says "troop," it means any type of troop.
If it says "police," it means any type of police.
If it says "guerrilla," it means any type of guerrilla.
etc.

At least this should be your default position unless a rule explicitly limits this or changes it.

There is one case I remember where the literal rule was not correct (and the designer acknowledged that the card could have been clearer):
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1786453/48-god-save-king-sh...

In general they will say "Algerian Police" when they want to limit it to only that type of police for example (or French Troop, etc.).

Learning to "speak COIN" takes a bit of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Gray
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great advice thanks David.

I also want to say how grateful I am to the community. These must be pretty straight forward and simple questions for veterans and everyone is super patient and forgiving. I for one am much appreciative. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.