Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Robo Rally» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
We played for the first time last night and had a lot of questions. Not sure I can remember them all but here are some:

1.We understood that we should activate register #1 and everyone did there movement in order of priority to the tower. Then if we were on a board space that required activation we know to do the elements in the order listed in the rulebook (Blue conveyor, green, etc)

But if 2 people are on the blue conveyor do they go at the same time or do they go in priority order? I saw the rulebook states if you are going to end up on the same spot then neither moves which indicated you go at the same time. But what if you are only going to get in each others way (as opposed to ending up in the same final spot)? Then it could matter who goes first. Or do we just move to where we would end up and not consider that we could have been in each others way thus ignoring priority.

To simply does priority have anything to do with resolving board elements being activated?

2. When you reenter the board on a reboot token can you exit the token in any direction you would like or do you have to exit via the way the arrow is pointing? Or is the arrow just for when a person is on the reboot token when another tries to enter he pushes the first person off in the direction of the arrow?

3.Can you go across or end a register move on a reboot token?

4. We know that you reshuffle when you no longer have enough cards to fill your hand. But do you do that during the programming phase? We found that if only one of us needed to reshuffle that cause them to be too slow and they couldn't reshuffle well and play down before the timer ended. So we agreed to draw and reshuffle (but not look at drawn cards yet) at the end of the activation phase, before the next round started if we needed to reshuffle which left everyone programming with equal opportunity.

5. Are we correct that you can use a temporary card exactly one time for one register and then discard it?

Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
One more question:
6. Do you establish the priority before the register and then carry out in that order or do you re-evaluate the priority after every move? (which can possibly change the previously known priority)...I saw this question answered in another thread. But it seemed to be a matter of opinion. Is there no official rule on this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shore_pk wrote:
We played for the first time last night and had a lot of questions. Not sure I can remember them all but here are some:

1.We understood that we should activate register #1 and everyone did there movement in order of priority to the tower. Then if we were on a board space that required activation we know to do the elements in the order listed in the rulebook (Blue conveyor, green, etc)

But if 2 people are on the blue conveyor do they go at the same time or do they go in priority order? I saw the rulebook states if you are going to end up on the same spot then neither moves which indicated you go at the same time. But what if you are only going to get in each others way (as opposed to ending up in the same final spot)? Then it could matter who goes first. Or do we just move to where we would end up and not consider that we could have been in each others way thus ignoring priority.

To simply does priority have anything to do with resolving board elements being activated?

2. When you reenter the board on a reboot token can you exit the token in any direction you would like or do you have to exit via the way the arrow is pointing? Or is the arrow just for when a person is on the reboot token when another tries to enter he pushes the first person off in the direction of the arrow?

3.Can you go across or end a register move on a reboot token?

4. We know that you reshuffle when you no longer have enough cards to fill your hand. But do you do that during the programming phase? We found that if only one of us needed to reshuffle that cause them to be too slow and they couldn't reshuffle well and play down before the timer ended. So we agreed to draw and reshuffle (but not look at drawn cards yet) at the end of the activation phase, before the next round started if we needed to reshuffle which left everyone programming with equal opportunity.

5. Are we correct that you can use a temporary card exactly one time for one register and then discard it?

Thank you!


#1: We move all bots on a given conveyor belt the same amount and are not doing so in 'priority order'. Multiple bots on the same conveyor cannot affect one another. If one gets pushed 'off' the conveyor onto solid floor, additional bots on the conveyor would eventually 'stack up' because conveyors are not strong enough to push bots that are not on the conveyor.

#2: When rebooting, you may choose your facing. It is often advantageous to be pointing 90 degrees from the direction of the chute in case someone else pops out of it later the same turn (which would then push the first bot in the direction of the arrow to make room for bot #2

#3: We envision the reboot chute as an 'above the floor' feature. It doesn't affect movement in any way and is not a solid obstacle.

#4: If you need a card, shuffle your deck and keep drawing. If you anticipate needing a card next turn, most players will let you pre-shuffle in anticipation. (which sounds like what you did)

#5: Some Temporary Option Cards give you a new programming card permanently. Once the new card is in your deck, it will stay there until the end of the game. Other Temporary Option Cards are usable once and then discarded.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shore_pk wrote:
One more question:
6. Do you establish the priority before the register and then carry out in that order or do you re-evaluate the priority after every move? (which can possibly change the previously known priority)...I saw this question answered in another thread. But it seemed to be a matter of opinion. Is there no official rule on this?


We check priority every phase.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:
shore_pk wrote:
One more question:
6. Do you establish the priority before the register and then carry out in that order or do you re-evaluate the priority after every move? (which can possibly change the previously known priority)...I saw this question answered in another thread. But it seemed to be a matter of opinion. Is there no official rule on this?


We check priority every phase.


So you don't change it in the middle of a register if someone gets pushed into a different priority position? For example P1, P2, P3 are going in that order. P1 moves and pushes P2. P2 is now further away from the tower than P3. So does P2 go next as originally planned or do you reevaluate his new position and allow P3 to go, then P2.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:



#1: We move all bots on a given conveyor belt the same amount and are not doing so in 'priority order'. Multiple bots on the same conveyor cannot affect one another. If one gets pushed 'off' the conveyor onto solid floor, additional bots on the conveyor would eventually 'stack up' because conveyors are not strong enough to push bots that are not on the conveyor.



So if you have a conveyor with double arrows and it looks like this when time to activate elements:

ANTENNA (A)->-> (B)p1 (C)p2 (D)->-> (E)->->


So you just move p1 to space D and p2 to space E ignoring that if P1 went first he would be blocked or have to cross through P2?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shore_pk wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:



#1: We move all bots on a given conveyor belt the same amount and are not doing so in 'priority order'. Multiple bots on the same conveyor cannot affect one another. If one gets pushed 'off' the conveyor onto solid floor, additional bots on the conveyor would eventually 'stack up' because conveyors are not strong enough to push bots that are not on the conveyor.



So if you have a conveyor with double arrows and it looks like this when time to activate elements:

ANTENNA (A)->-> (B)p1 (C)p2 (D)->-> (E)->->


So you just move p1 to space D and p2 to space E ignoring that if P1 went first he would be blocked or have to cross through P2?


The bots on a conveyor are not moving under their own power; they're just riding along the conveyor. So of course they all move at the same time - there is no "going first" in this phase.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Long
United States
Graford
Texas
flag msg tools
Ok...makes sense. TY
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Byrd
United States
Griffin
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shore_pk wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
shore_pk wrote:
One more question:
6. Do you establish the priority before the register and then carry out in that order or do you re-evaluate the priority after every move? (which can possibly change the previously known priority)...I saw this question answered in another thread. But it seemed to be a matter of opinion. Is there no official rule on this?


We check priority every phase.


So you don't change it in the middle of a register if someone gets pushed into a different priority position? For example P1, P2, P3 are going in that order. P1 moves and pushes P2. P2 is now further away from the tower than P3. So does P2 go next as originally planned or do you reevaluate his new position and allow P3 to go, then P2.


I would think that you do not change priority since the tower has already sent the instructions. If one is now further, it is just further, but already received the instruction.

I suppose the opposite argument could hold, meaning that now that it is pushed, the instruction will take longer to get there.

In the end, I think it is easier to just figure priority, then let the moves happen in that order.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.