Subject: Damage taken by ships rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Murphy
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I KNOW this is a stupid question but I'm up against a would-be "rules lawyer" who insists that a critical hit does not necessarily count towards the destruction of a ship once the shields (if any) are gone. His reasoning is that the text on some of the cards say to turn face down after applying the text and at THIS point the ship receives one damage, if it does not say to turn face down then the ship only takes "internals" and not structure damage towards destruction
surprise
I know which way I'm arguing but I'd like the opinion of someone neutral - does a critical hit count towards the destruction of the ship???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
A damage card counts as a damage whether it is face up or face down. The additional effect just ends when a damage card gets flipped face down.

(There are also effects that flip damage cards face up.)
RRG, Damage wrote:
When a ship suffers a damage or critical damage, it
loses one shield token. If it does not have any shield
tokens to lose, it is dealt one Damage card instead.
For normal damage, the Damage card is dealt
facedown; for critical damage, the Damage card is
dealt faceup and the text on the card immediately
resolves.

If a ship has a number of Damage cards equal to its
hull value, it is destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Becker
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I have seen some serious semantic arguments on the X-wing forums about ambiguous cards, but this is pretty absurd. It is clearly defined that the CARD is the damage, not the little explosion printed on the back. turning it over just means the text is no longer in play.

Oh, and if it comes up, your ships is destroyed when the damage equals or exceeded the hull value of a ship, damage does NOT reduce the hull value. This is key for the Flechette Torpedoes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will also find a small damage symbol on the crit side of each card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Punch that guy in the nuts and tell him to stop being a dickhead.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For being a rules lawyer, he doesn't seem to know the rules very well. A damage card is damage, whether face up or down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that a ship can have shields left and still be destroyed due to having damage equal to (or more than) the hull value. (Shields can be recovered and there are abilities that deal a damage card, which bypasses shields.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Murphy
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.