Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Hill
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I recently attended Dice Tower Convention 2017 in Orlando, FL. It was my first convention and I am so glad that I was able to attend.

During my time I went to the Paint and Take class hosted by Sam, Rob, and Vernon. Games Workshop donated some kits so when I decided to paint my own games I picked up their products from the local Warhammer store in town.

This is my first attempt at painting miniatures so I'm eager to see if I can improve my skills enough to produce a good looking set.

Last night I got started by washing some of the Imperial units. Warm water bath, toothbrush scrub, air dry. Then I hit them up with some grey spray primer.

Imperial units getting a soak and scrub prior to priming...

About to apply Games Workshop Mechanicus Grey Spray Primer to some Imperial units from Star Wars: Rebellion.

Right: Primed with Mechanicus Grey. Left: Original finish cleaned with soapy water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Hill
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Prime using Mechanicus Grey
2. Dry brush Administratum Grey
3. Wash Nuln Oil
4. Layer Kantor Blue on Engines
5. Dot of Yeclis Blue on Engines (didn't quite workout as I had hoped)
6. Yeclis blue along front facing sides of ship
7. Edge Abbadon Black along sides of ships

After getting the first one painted I'm looking for some feedback from any experienced painters out there willing to offer tips to a newbie.

My thoughts are that the ship is just too dark (I'm not familiar with ships in the Star Wars franchise.) I think it somewhat that I should have lightened the primer with a base layer of slightly lighter grey. I also think I went a little overboard with the nuln oil wash and dry brush grey -- especially on the raised platforms. And lastly the engines didn't quite have the "glow" I was aiming for. I was getting tired at that point though so my hands were less than steady.

I hope to improve with a second star destoyer this weekend. I'm purposefully going slow to learn technique before attempting multiple units at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on your first steps. Those look good thumbsup.

Mechanicus Grey is too dark as a base. I am not familiar with the GW paint palette but i have seen people using MG as highlight for black. Maybe start with Administratum Grey as a base ... Try different shades of grey until you feel it looks right. Experimenting with colors is half the fun.

Here is my goto reference for painting rebellion.
dockingbay416.com/star-wars-rebellion-painting-the-imperials
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beginner painter here - take it with a grain of salt.

OK with saying you can use a lighter grey - though it's entirely your choice.
I'm not seeing anything wrong with the wash or dry brush.
For the engines glow, check the link provided by Ronald, to which I would add the following points:
- a glowing color for that use has to be very bright
- if you look at existing art, you see that the physical property of a glow is that it influences areas around it. (the light is cast on nearby surfaces.) For instance:
http://brian.hoover.net.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/s...
Look at the white reflexions on nearby metallic surfaces. Now painting and drawing are a bit different, but I'd like to add to Ronald's linked suggestion that you lay some thinned-down blue on the engine pipes.

Have a nice painting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Mechanicus Grey is too dark. You'd need to put a lighter grey base coat on before dry brushing or highlighting.

I'm pretty much a beginner too - in fact it was this game that inspired me to try some miniatures painting.

I primed with Army Painter Uniform Grey, then washed with Nuln Oil, and finally dry-brushed with a lighter gray. I think I just mixed some uniform grey & white. I'm sure it's possible to achieve more with multiple dry brushes, but I was pretty satisfied with just that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Minis look good but too dark for my tastes. A but surprised people say that your base coat grey is too dark, I think your highlights are too dark but base coat is fine. Im not much of a painter though so I admit I dont know the merits of using lighter/ darker base coats.

Ive been thinking of painting my minis as well, my plan is:

Gunmetal grey base coat
Light grey highlights, followed by bone white accents
Black wash
Clear coat ( flat )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Hill
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I went back to the primer and tried two different base coats. Administratum grey was lighter and provides good brightness for going under leadbelcher.

Thanks to some inspiration from this thread and V.iper Painting I added little pops of color and dry brushed some metallics over the base coat. I also added in some blue on the walls near the engine as a lighting effect. Not perfect but I am much happier with the final paint job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Herman92 wrote:

OK with saying you can use a lighter grey - though it's entirely your choice.

Yes, keep in mind that the shade of gray isn't consistent through the source material anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Achieving a glow technique is not trivial. In fact, it is considered an advanced technique, so if you are a beginner, you may want to temper your expectations at first.

I would research the technique known as "object sourced lighting." There is a lot of good info out there, here is an example from youtube:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Piper
United States
West Park
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know we've talked in PMs, but I want to make sure that I tell you in a public forum that I really like what you're doing here. For a first time painter, this is an excellent time to learn and decide on coloring choices in the future. Trying to do smaller details is excellent, but does take smaller brushes. You started out with great brushes and I'm glad you were able to find smaller ones. I'm looking forward to seeing your next miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.