Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Sloppy Joes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How did this food get its name?
Why did "Joe" get picked on? Why not Sloppy Freds, or Sloppy Petes, or Sloppy Hirams?

BTW, my sister's name is Jo, and she hated it when we had them for supper as kids. Not because she wouldn't eat them, of course, but the taunting drove her bananas.



In case anyone is wondering what I'm talking about. Do they even have these in Europe or Australasia?

I usually make mine "open faced", and broil some cheddar cheese on top, then eat it with a knife and fork.
The one I had for lunch, a minute ago, was the meat with shredded cheese all wrapped in a pita. Very burrito-like.
A Sloppy Jose, as it were. shake
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Do they even have these in Europe or Australasia?


Not in Europe - that I've ever seen anyway. I've only ever seen them in movies tbh...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up in Jersey where a Sloppy Joe was ham, turkey, or roast beef with cole slaw, Swiss, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing on rye.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
How did this food get its name?
Why did "Joe" get picked on? Why not Sloppy Freds, or Sloppy Petes, or Sloppy Hirams?


If only there were some resource online that would shed light on the subject. Oh wait, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloppy_joe
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd eat a Sloppy Hiram.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
I'd eat a Sloppy Hiram.


ninja Oh wait, I see what you did there! ninja

You are quite the cunning linguist!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
heh, I got even more messed up somehow as when I was a kid this food was called bbq. I think it was just my nuclear family who said it like that too so idk how that happened. Normally I'd say this is just an amusing little hickup on my knowledge but it really started to suck as I began going out places and hear they were having bbq sandwiches and it ends up being some stringy crappy meat.shake

oh and btw sloppy joes are one of those foods that far too many places and people make bland, go crazy with it and its awesome.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
If only there were some resource online that would shed light on the subject. Oh wait, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloppy_joe

Mabby, I note that said resource mentions nothing about putting cheese on the sandwich. I loves me some Sloppy Joes and I loves me some cheese, but if you put cheese on it, it ain't a Sloppy Joe no mo'.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
erak wrote:
If only there were some resource online that would shed light on the subject. Oh wait, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloppy_joe

Mabby, I note that said resource mentions nothing about putting cheese on the sandwich. I loves me some Sloppy Joes and I loves me some cheese, but if you put cheese on it, it ain't a Sloppy Joe no mo'.


So if you put cheese on a sandwich/hamburger it isn't a sandwich/hamburger anymore?

(puts cheese and pickles on mine)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I make mine "Manwich" style.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Every now and then I miss these sandwiches, but mine never turn out as tasty as what I remember.

And I agree that cheese is a no Joe.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
I grew up in NORTH Jersey where a Sloppy Joe was ham, turkey, or roast beef with cole slaw, Swiss, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing on rye.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the move The Sun by the Russian director Sukurov there was a reference, something like "... coming from Sloppy Joes.". I never understood what that was refering to. Anyone?

MABBY wrote:
Do they even have these in Europe or Australasia?

We have similar looking stuff that you put on fries. No doubt it is different tasting stuff.

It looks yuk by the way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
erak wrote:
If only there were some resource online that would shed light on the subject. Oh wait, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloppy_joe

Mabby, I note that said resource mentions nothing about putting cheese on the sandwich. I loves me some Sloppy Joes and I loves me some cheese, but if you put cheese on it, it ain't a Sloppy Joe no mo'.

So if you put cheese on a sandwich/hamburger it isn't a sandwich/hamburger anymore?

If you put cheese on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, it sure ain't a PB&J anymore. It's...something different.

Something toxic!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Audacon wrote:
Annowme wrote:
I'd eat a Sloppy Hiram.


ninja Oh wait, I see what you did there! ninja

You are quite the cunning linguist!


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
Good with mustard!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
erak wrote:
I grew up in NORTH Jersey where a Sloppy Joe was ham, turkey, or roast beef with cole slaw, Swiss, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing on rye.


Fair
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you eat leftover Sloppy Joes, does that mean you had sloppy seconds?
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
If you eat leftover Sloppy Joes, does that mean you had sloppy seconds?

Give this man an award.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
If you eat leftover Sloppy Joes, does that mean you had sloppy seconds?

Joe Salamone and his shopping cart ... an inseparable duo.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
If you eat leftover Sloppy Joes, does that mean you had sloppy seconds?


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A sloppy joe here is (or was... haven't heard it for a long time) a jumper.

(That's a sweater).

(That's a pullover).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn you Mabby! Now I have to drive all the damn way to the store to get the stuff to make Sloppy Joes.......
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My grandmother always called them "slurpy joes."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All of this talk of cheese and mustard is Unclean.

Although we've made sloppy joes with higher quality ground round and called 'em "Sloppy Josephs."
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.