Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike George
United States
Smithville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Settlers a great game I have not played 51st State yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Little
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are different games with the same core. 51st State came first and to me feels like the simpler of the two. There is asymmetry between the factions but not separate faction decks. The game can also play faster as you play to a set number of points not rounds.

If you want to see the progression of design start with 51st State. If you are an experienced gamer, I would quickly add in an expansion to make the deck more interesting. To me Imperial Settlers is a much deeper and more interesting game. I love the strong asymmetry and theme of Imperial Settlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
halkster14 wrote:
If you want to see the progression of design start with 51st State. If you are an experienced gamer, I would quickly add in an expansion to make the deck more interesting. To me Imperial Settlers is a much deeper and more interesting game. I love the strong asymmetry and theme of Imperial Settlers.

I'm going to have to disagree with Scott here a bit. First, just to make sure the OP is aware, there are two editions of 51st State -- the original design and the new, revised Master Set. The original 51st State is certainly the most gamer-ly (complex) game of the three. Imperial Settlers was a streamlined version of the original 51st State.

I also think the revised Master Set of 51st State is more complex than Imperial Settlers. The factions in Imperial Settlers gives you a guiding strategy whereas the "factions" in 51st State are much more open. Additionally, 51st State introduces contact tokens that add an extra layer to the resource management/manipulation. Finally, the race nature of 51st State makes the game more variable -- you can't rely on a set number of rounds like you can in Imperial Settlers. I previously owned both, but I sold off 51st State precisely because it was NOT as friendly for new gamers or as easy to get into. Just my two cents!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played 51st State, but Imperial Settlers is one of my favourite games. Love the asymmetry in the factions and the different ways each faction can mess with the others. Recently we added the Atlanteans, and they have not disappointed. Lots of flexibility in that faction.

Fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin Tracy
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is definitely like "Agricola vs Caverna" where people can have very strong opinions on which is better!

I own Imperial Settlers and have played 51st State multiple times and I prefer Imperial Settlers. The theme appeals more to me, I love the art, and I prefer games with a fixed number of rounds. I also think the faction decks make it quite interesting and fun to switch up what you play.

You should watch a couple gameplay videos to see what appeals more theme-wise. Or if it's possible to try one or both that would clearly help even more!

But honestly they're both fantastic games and you can't go wrong with either one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
To us, Imperial Settlers seems like a more... streamlined game than 51st State. 51st State has you converting resources into contact tokens/arrows to spend, which doesn't seem to achieve much over just spending the resources directly as IM does. It adds an extra level, as noted above. But to what end? It also adds some extra bookkeeping, since each faction has its own ratio of goods-to-arrows conversion, and is limited in how many that they can make. And the limit has to be bookkept.

Also, IS has more of a... theme-feel to it. Which feels more like it should produce workers: a Village or a Boiler Room?

The factions feel stronger in IS than 51. In 51, you have the conversion ratios and that's about it except for a little bit of inherent production. IS factions have individual decks, and storage, and inherent production. Each faction is different, but they don't bog down the game mechanics. They have the same mechanics, just different for each faction.

We enjoy both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.