Subject: A question about dice with the $ face rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Rayes
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
This question regards their use during the develop and settle phases. Are they returned to the cup only if they are used to complete the project?

Edit: I know this isn't on topic but I don't want to start a new thread

When a tile refers to removing dice, what happens to those dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandrake42 wrote:
This question regards their use during the develop and settle phases. Are they returned to the cup only if they are used to complete the project?

Edit: I know this isn't on topic but I don't want to start a new thread

first part, it only goes directly back into your cup if it was used for that phase. So for example, if you assign a $dev for Settle it onto the black strip/action phase selector, it would NOT go back into the cup.

Removed dice go back into the box. If someone gains a die of that color, that could be it, but it goes out of play in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Mandrake42 wrote:
Are [settlers or developers showing $ faces] returned to the cup only if they are used to complete the project?

No. For example, a matching $-face might have been placed on a construction stack tile during an earlier round and not be the die that completes the tile. It would still return to the cup.

(A $ die is returned to the cup only if its $ face showing *matches* the phase being done, $-Develop for developments or $-Settle for worlds, upon completing the tile. If its $ face showing doesn't match, it goes to the Citizenry like any other die.)

Quote:

It returns to the dice supply in the center of the table (as stated on page 6, Settle, last paragraph, last sentence).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rayes
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Mandrake42 wrote:
Are [settlers or developers showing $ faces] returned to the cup only if they are used to complete the project?

No. For example, a matching $-face might have been placed on a construction stack tile during an earlier round and not be the die that completes the tile. It would still return to the cup.

(A $ die is returned to the cup only if its $ face showing *matches* the phase being done, $-Develop for developments or $-Settle for worlds, upon completing the tile. If its $ face showing doesn't match, it goes to the Citizenry like any other die.)

Quote:

It returns to the dice supply in the center of the table (as stated on page 6, Settle, last paragraph, last sentence).

Ok, I must have missed that when going through the rules. Alrighty then back to the centre they go. Cheers for all the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Mandrake42 wrote:

Quote:

Wow. It always amazes/disappoints me when I think I know a game well and have gotten some rule wrong. Somehow I had gotten it into my head that playing one of these die immediately gave you a dollar when used but went to the citizenry like all the other dice. Of course, this CAN be the same in the end, as it take $1 to buy the die back out of the citizenry, and you'd almost always want to get a black die out first.

Out of game design curiosity, what made you go the way you did. Did you find getting the money immediately rather than later had some kind of subtle effect? I suppose you could effectively get double money by using it to put on a settle, then recalling it back to your cup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
jepmn wrote:
Did you find [that effectively] getting the money immediately rather than later had some kind of subtle effect?

It means that you always get the benefit, even if your treasury is at 10 credits.

Quote:
I suppose you could effectively get double money by using it to put on a settle, then recalling it back to your cup.

I don't understand this comment. You don't get any return to cup effect until you use the worker to do a task, at which point the worker can't be recalled...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Tom Lehmann wrote:
jepmn wrote:
Did you find [that effectively] getting the money immediately rather than later had some kind of subtle effect?

It means that you always get the benefit, even if your treasury is at 10 credits

Ah, okay, that makes perfect sense. I knew there must have been some reason I'm overlooking.

Quote:
Quote:
I suppose you could effectively get double money by using it to put on a settle, then recalling it back to your cup.

I don't understand this comment. You don't get any return to cup effect until you use the worker to do a task, at which point the worker can't be recalled...

I was talking about if you'd designed it the way I'd wrongly interpreted it: get $1 when the die is PLACED (on settle/develop, etc.) and then later it doesn't go directly to the cup but goes to the citizenry. So you could potentially place it on a world to settle and take $1. Then at the end of the round during the recall step you could take the black die off the construction stack and put it directly back in the cup using the regular Recall action. Since you're not paying to put it in the cup, you're effectively getting $2 total from playing it ($1 when you put it on the construction zone, $1 (effectively) when you Recalled it).

Does that make sense? I mean it'd be a way to get a quick $1 without actually DOING anything with it. That's all I meant by that. I'm not saying I think it should be that way. It was just an implication I thought of with the wrong way I'd been playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
jepmn wrote:
Does that make sense?

Yes. Got it. Thanks for explaining. I was thinking that in your interpretation that the $ was earned when the task with that die was *done*, not when the die was *placed*.

Quote:
it'd be a way to get a quick $1 without actually DOING anything with it.

Yeah. That would be bad for game balance, particularly for a faction that started with two Entrepreneur dice in addition to the Leader die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.