Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
STB
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

ARBITER
Restricts Deals

You have the power to Stipulate. Whenever players attempt to make a deal, use this power to choose a number of colonies or cards (but not both) that must be given in that deal. It must still be possible for those players to make a successful deal.

When a successful deal is made, you receive one reward for each player in that deal.

(As Any Player) (Mandatory) (Reveal)

Wild: When you fail to make a deal, you don't lose ships to the warp and the encounter counts as a success for you. (As Any Player) (Resolution)

Super: When players fail to make a deal, you may establish a colony on any planet in one of those players' systems. (As Any Player) (Resolution)

The part of the power that gives you rewards is there for two reasons. One is to make the alien a little more powerful. The other is to incentivize the Arbiter to make more reasonable stipulations. (The super flare puts a nasty spin on that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the intent that the Arbiter can stipulate a higher number of colonies than typically allowed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
STB
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arbiter can't usually specify anything other than 0, 1, or 2 colonies. The intent is to complicate other players' deal-making. Most of the time, dealing players enter with some idea of what the deal will be (e.g., colony for colony), so the Arbiter can prevent those players from making an easy deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I worry that Arbiter's presence in a game will mean players are simply less likely to even attempt deals, and I wonder if that outcome is at all desirable from a design perspectiveq. The question I have then is what motivates me to choose this alien at the start of the game. Is it that I just don't want anyone to ever make a deal or a very good deal? That might be enough if I know I'm playing with a group of players who make a lot of deals all the time and I end up getting left behind.

I think if I am in a game with Arbiter, I just avoid deals. It's all stick and no carrot. Actually it's all carrot for Arbiter but not for the other players. Which is another reason why I won't ever make a deal with that alien in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.