Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! My name is Jessica, and I've been playing tabletop games on and off for around a decade. Normally it's just my brother and me (or solo gaming), though, which makes it a little difficult to fully enjoy some of the games out there! Seems like the ones that we really enjoy have optimal player counts of 3-4, although we still have a great time. Recently, I found a nearby board game night that takes place once a week. Two weeks, and I've already played three games I never heard of with some great people!

I've lurked around on Board Game Geek for several years, and figured I would finally join the conversation and try to contribute. This weekend, I'm trying out a 2-player combined game of Above and Below plus Islebound, based on some ideas I read about here. I enjoy trying out variants to bring some game elements together, or give a familiar game something new. The results vary, to say the least! We managed to put together a slightly more challenging 2-player variant of Mysterium. At the moment, I believe my game collection is hovering around a dozen or so titles, including practically everything for Dominion and its expansions.

My free time is pretty limited, although my fantastic case of mild motion sickness has been getting worse, so my video gaming days are limited. Not that I was all that great to begin with. Ha! I still stick with the old ones that have limited movement, particularly the fantastic Creatures series. Needless to say, I'm looking at some possible solo tabletop games to enjoy. I may or may not have preordered Too Many Bones after watching a bunch of playthrough videos. There went the gaming budget for the year! And maybe next year, too...

Anyway, I'm still getting used to the site and probably will be fairly sparse until I get the hang of things. Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself and wish all the board gamers out there all the best!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squeeker
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the site!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome. I sent some geekgold to help you buy an avatar picture (the Burn Notice part of my profile).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tg Pumpkin

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jessica and welcome to the board. I have a fairly similar story as you. I've hovered around bgg last couple years but never joined until this past May. I will tell you as a new player that while the content on here can be intimidating since there is so much great stuff, the people have been fantastic. There are some amazing games out there and it's exciting to read people's passionate ideas and opinions. It really is a tremendous community

Welcome again to the site. I hope like you I'll find a board game group too. I recently moved so I'm still sorting that out.

Hope to see you around. Take care!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary o
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Jessica.Browse through the many features BGG has to offer and enjoy yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the very warm welcome, and an extra thanks for the GeekGold!

Autoduelist: I appreciate you putting me over the threshold to get an avatar. I'll definitely add one when I have a little extra time. Thanks again!

tgpumpkin: Great to hear that this is a wonderful place for someone new to the site! Best of luck to you in finding a board game group. Solo play is something I enjoy, but playing with other people has its own unique benefits. I may not have any idea what I'm actually doing in some of these games, yet it's a whole lot of fun to have a laugh or pull off a very unexpected victory! I'm a fan of my 2-player games, too, but after awhile strategies can become a bit predictable. Luckily we have a decent rotation going where that hasn't happened yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi Jessica, and welcome to BGG!

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual of Orange Nebula
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome jessica!!

This is a wonderful community and my favorite part of the Internet. I find over the years that the sites I visit change with the seasons of my life but BGG has been a constant.

My main suggestion -- subscribe to things. Subscribe to games you are interested in, users whose comments you enjoy, and then follow your subscriptions daily on the top left of your nav. Checking my geek subscriptions to see what new posts and comments there are on things I'm into is the first thing I do each morning and, to me, the center of this site and the game world.

Have fun! We're glad you're here and that you've found this tremendously rewarding hobby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the rabbit hole!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jessica Albia?

Pete (ponders)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you again for the kind welcome!

CasualToast: I'm getting there with figuring out how things work. I imagine I'll be checking in regularly, too, and will likely make this site part of my daily routine. Can't beat some interesting new stuff about board games!

plezercruz: Ha ha! I realize the coincidence in name, but it's unintentional. I mentioned the Creatures series of PC games, and the name of the world in the first two games is Albia. I've been playing on and off since the late 90s, and use that word quite a bit, for nostalgia's sake. I hadn't realized how the user profile stuff shows up in the forums. At least it's worth a laugh, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mb
Welcome to BGG, Jessica Alb(i)a!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken T
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Welcome, I kinda recently joined too well I stopped finally being a stalker and tried posting. So, recent poster anyways.

If you are looking at solo games, I recently backed this game that looks kinda cool. Just a FYI, haven't played it yet of course.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tony-go/reissue-of-deep...

If you want a good video game that probably won't activate your motion sickness try Darkest Dungeon, started playing it recently and its different and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albia wrote:
Thank you again for the kind welcome!

CasualToast: I'm getting there with figuring out how things work. I imagine I'll be checking in regularly, too, and will likely make this site part of my daily routine. Can't beat some interesting new stuff about board games!

plezercruz: Ha ha! I realize the coincidence in name, but it's unintentional. I mentioned the Creatures series of PC games, and the name of the world in the first two games is Albia. I've been playing on and off since the late 90s, and use that word quite a bit, for nostalgia's sake. I hadn't realized how the user profile stuff shows up in the forums. At least it's worth a laugh, though!
I knew I should have gone with "Rosie."

Pete (isn't a Reds fan, though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG, Jessica! Have a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Williams
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!!!

There is a plethora of information here. You can spend hours days a lot of time "researching" games an interacting with others. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for the continued welcomes! It's nice to see what this community is like for a newcomer. I'm sure I'll make some mistakes and just do things wrong in some way, but I don't feel like I'll be chased off for that. Some online communities have made me not want to contribute, yet this one is just the opposite. I appreciate the warm tidings!

kendobc: Thanks for the suggestions! I'm leaning more and more towards tabletop games that at least support solo play. Nice to see another option. Hopefully you'll enjoy it! Darkest Dungeon looks interesting, too. I don't have much of a gaming budget after my recent preorder, so we'll see what I remember when I'm in the market for another game again.

Now to think about an avatar that clearly screams, "I'm not Jessica Alba!" Ha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the topic of solo gaming, I forgot to add:
You should really check out the 1 Player guild and maybe even post the odd game you played by yourself as an entry in the monthly SGOYT geeklists. Here's a link to the current list:
Solitaire Games On Your Table -- July 2017

edit: Since you're new, here are some links about GeekGold
For new users: How-to earn GeekGold
GeekGold - Wiki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zakoholic: Thank you for the resources and links! I've read through the GeekGold information and have a better idea of what it's all about. I'll have to take a look through the guild you recommended, as it seems to be right up my alley! If only I had more time to browse the site... I'll get there. Unfortunately, my combined game variant didn't pan out this weekend, so I'll have to content myself with some playthrough videos to tide me over until I can play again. Somehow, I don't seem to have a solo game on hand I want to play at the moment. Maybe that's good, since I've spent a lot of time thinking about and looking at board games all weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing your intervention in the thread Geek Citizenship Recognition, I opened your profile and arrived at this thread, had a look at it, and decided to drop you a line to tell you that around the net there are nice sites like YouPlay.It, where you stay home and play with people from all around the world. Have a look at it, may be you will enjoy it.
And since you have the microbadge mb, on the 22 of this month stay tuned on the Geek Citizenship Recognition, may by it will be a special awarding day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the suggestion! I tend to prefer solo gaming, but that's definitely a great idea for easily finding other people to play with. And I'll be sure to keep an eye out regarding the Geek Citizenship Recognition in a few weeks. It's a wonderful program, and if there's another way to award another star this month, I'm in! Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.