Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Aarhus
United States
Centreville
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 9, the rules state that blank cards are used for actions a player will forfeit.

We believe a forfeit makes a player ineligible for the one gold/one magic point compensation for a "planned action". Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick McClure
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in an official answer on this as well. I read it the other way: forfeited actions would give you 1 gold or energy as compensation. My argument is that you could always put a conflict card in place of a blank card and just forfeit your action. If you don't have enough conflict cards then that's an even better reason to give the 1 gold/energy compensation as a catch-up mechanism.

Also, I'm assuming that if you forfeit an action that has a conflict card on it then you do not discard that conflict card because you're not technically performing the action. Not sure if that's right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Shunta
United States
Norton Shores
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Pg. 15 seems to provide a more detailed example, and it's not what I thought it would be at all:

Quote:

If the active player has only blank cards left on their player board or does not want to perform any more actions, they pass and gain 1 gold or 1 energy from the common supply as compensation. Then, they resume all cards still on their player board to their hand. As long as other players still perform actions, they receive the compensation each time it is their turn again.

I don't think the intention is to get 1 gold or 1 energy as compensation two different ways. I'm guessing the language in the planning section is intended to work in the way described on Pg. 15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Aarhus
United States
Centreville
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. So a player is entitled to compensation:

a. When they cannot, or do not wish to, execute a planned action
b. When they only have blank cards left
c. When they pass

This does raise some more questions, though.

1. When I know I only have blank cards left, am I obligated to reveal that? Part of the bluffing aspect of the game might be to pretend I am going to attack or take some action against an opponent as deterrence. Since the order of actions is also important, there will be times when I have only blank cards left -- unless I deliberately reserve one to "stay in the round". The rules are silent on this.

2. It still does not quite answer the issue of revealing a blank card -- is that in the realm of "cannot/do not wish to"? But then why call it a "forfeit"?

However, I agree with you in the spirit of the rules, if not the letter -- when I do not perform an action on my turn (for whatever reason), I will instead get compensation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Jason L. Garner
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Essentially, you reach the point where you don't wish to or cannot take an action. You clear your board and collect compensation each tun until the round ends. You do not need to reveal your cards. The blank cards are there in case you los all your region cards. You still have something to lay down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ClosetOtaku wrote:
2. It still does not quite answer the issue of revealing a blank card -- is that in the realm of "cannot/do not wish to"? But then why call it a "forfeit"?

Poor translation. Why call it "resume" cards to your hand when it should probably be "return."

If you want to continue to bluff, leave your blank cards on the board. if you don't care and just want to pass, then clear the board when you are done. I think leaving the cards on the board better to a) bluff like you said, but b) to be another reminder to grab your gold/energy.

I would also agree if you forfeit an action (that is not blank), you would return the card to hand. The rules do state that if you pass, all cards resume (return) to your hand. So it does seem the intent is only used conflict cards get discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we've played this, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that when you pass you are done. You can use this as a way to be able to keep any cards, but you are out of the round. However, the option to forfeit an action requires you to reveal the card. So, if it's a conflict card it will be discarded when you collect compensation. This makes sense as the way to be able to keep playing instead of having to pass the rest of the round. If you can just opt not forfeit an action without revealing and still be able to continue on the 'Pass' action makes no sense. No one would ever just pass an pick up their cards if they have any actions left in case a good opportunity presented itself to use one later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.