Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Attention Ricky and the VPG powers that be.

(Obviously, the Tabletopia module isn't the final, physical game, but my comments below are related to observing what I can only guess is representative of the most updated graphic design.)

I see that you've addressed the color issues with the servers on the game board, but it'd be a real help if y'all could do something about the symbology across the whole game space, too. For example, the countermeasure cards: I see that the servers get named, but the type of contaminant is not always named...Roman Road does not describe data ports and data nodes and Hacker's Palace has almost all the needed text missing. Please make sure the type of "thing" is always named if the graphic design on the cards does not allow for further distinguishing of the different colored "symbols".

This is also a problem for the "player aid" on each character card as well, of course.

I have not done an exhaustive look at all the game bits for where this is an issue...these are just the one's that stand out immediately.

If there are plans to address the issue thoroughly, that's great.

If not, please don't hesitate to ask for help. I can do a more thorough "combing" of the components for issues if you'd like.

Really stoked about the game, guys. Seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chris, great observations.

One thing to add, symbols and terms have been tried to be used together, so players can use names or colours or symbols, however best they recognise the game entities. Some players are a little 'blind' to the terms as well as colours, hence the mix used.

You've picked up a couple of instances, so let me address those:

Roman Road: a "pathway" is defined as a string of Data Nodes and Ports in the rulebook, so this one is covered. You are right though, that the 'reminder' on the card shows only the coloured symbols and not the names.

Hacker's Palace doesn't need any terms, as none of the coloured entities are identified by the card (except "Faith" which is named and given a colour symbol); there are only the generic 'all square player tokens', 'all circular player tokens', etc. symbols, so I think this one is good.. no colours!

The team at VPG have been paying attention, and we're in final proof now, with colour-blindness being given some focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hacker's Palace doesn't need any terms, as none of the coloured entities are identified by the card (except "Faith" which is named and given a colour symbol); there are only the generic 'all square player tokens', 'all circular player tokens', etc. symbols, so I think this one is good.. no colours!

White is a color! I couldn't tell the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pasted from the KS comments...

"Curious to know more about Color Blind friendliness. ...[I] see that the player aid is still problematic. I didn't see enough of the cards during the unboxing to know if it was addressed there...can anyone from VPG speak on whether terms were added to all symbology on the cards? I'm pretty sure you didn't add "patterns" to the symbols, as they would probably have appeared on the player aid. My only hope is more text on the cards..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
Pasted from the KS comments...

"Curious to know more about Color Blind friendliness. ...[I] see that the player aid is still problematic. I didn't see enough of the cards during the unboxing to know if it was addressed there...can anyone from VPG speak on whether terms were added to all symbology on the cards? I'm pretty sure you didn't add "patterns" to the symbols, as they would probably have appeared on the player aid. My only hope is more text on the cards..."

This is what you see on the command cards, in colour:

and with colour saturation reduced to zero:

For the SMCs and their Countermeasure cards, symbols are not used alone, but are there only to supplement the text for folks who prefer to recognise things as 'the blue doodad' or 'the red thingy' instead of using 'technical' terms like Data Node or Virus. So, as an example, on this card you can see colours used to supplement the text:

On those cards, we included them to help folks who are able and wish to rely only on the colours. For everyone else, we have the text/symbols(Artwork).

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you added text to the Countermeasure cards, but what about the command cards?

(also responded in KS )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
Quote:

White is a color! I couldn't tell the difference.

Hi Chris, this is the one you mean, right?

If so, you are right, this one has some symbols without text.

In this instance the colour of the circles and symbols is not specified as it was not significant. But you are right, a liberty has been taken with white and black. A white circle with no label means 'any circular player token' and a black circle with no label means 'any circular SMC token'.

They have no label because they relate to no specific colour of those tokens, except that of course, there is an assumption the black symbol can be differentiated from the white one. blush

For anyone who finds this thread and is struggling with this card, apologies first, and please be advised that the first two circles are white (meaning any circular thing of the players') and the second two circles are black ( meaning any circular thing of the SMC).

If you spot any more that are causing difficulty then I will try to help out here, but for now it is too late to change for the files have already been finalised..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
I'm glad you added text to the Countermeasure cards, but what about the command cards?

(also responded in KS )

Command Cards ditto.

Except it was the symbols which were added, not the text; the text has always been there. The symbols were added to help people who didn't like using the text.

(e.g. if you watch Rahdo's review he said he didn't like all the terminology and preferred to refer to 'the blue token' or the 'red token', so the symbols were added for the sake of those folks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha...Ricky, it's not distinguishing black from white, it's distinguishing white from the other lighter colors...luminosity is never a problem for Color Blindness. So in Palace building, for me, it says, "This cycle, a (installation, yes it's square, but what color is it?) can be created...

Fortunately, sorting out context fixes most of these issues, including here. Hacker's Palace was just an example from back in July of the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:
aram12 wrote:

(also responded in KS )

Command Cards ditto.

Except it was the symbols which were added, not the text; the text has always been there. The symbols were added to help people who didn't like using the text.

(e.g. if you watch Rahdo's review he said he didn't like all the terminology and preferred to refer to 'the blue token' or the 'red token', so the symbols were added for the sake of those folks).

Huh. Well, I'm glad y'all kept the text on the cards!

It's really too bad about the player aid, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
ricky2002 wrote:
aram12 wrote:

(also responded in KS )

Command Cards ditto.

Huh. Well, I'm glad y'all kept the text on the cards!

It's really too bad about the player aid, though.

Yes, the player aid is to really there to help those folks who prefer to say 'red doodad' instead of virus.

Oh, and for the Command Cards, I found an example in colour:

and in colour saturation reduced to zero:

So hopefully this allays those fears..

Hope you enjoy the game!! Good luck Renegade!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Np, Ricky. Lookin good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.