Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT UPDATE: IGNACY has answered all my questions within an hour
Official thread can be found here https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1813120/malnourished-plants...
I've also updated this post with all answers in [color!]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a ton on doubts for this scenario, I'll walk you through the questions that occured during my 3 plays. I did try to BOLD the key-questions.

App instructs you after randomly drawing and placing 3x Ring 1 tiles to assign Number tokens on it for every samplecube icon. (there are NO samples-cubes in this scenario, they are all replaced by #-tokens)

(Objective) #-Tokens: Is it correct, that there will be a max. total of 18 numbered tokens used in this scenario, 3 x #1-6 of all three colors ? YES!

At this point, can I also just roll a regular 6 sided die to determine, seems to be the same thing instead of using research cards, safes setup time? YES!
(that is draw 1 card, put it back, draw next card ...)

If correct, there now should be between 3 and 8 tokens at the 3tiles at the beginning out there.

Examples: Is 1,1,4,6 or 3,2,2,1,6,6,6 possible (with same numbers on same tile even)? YES!

App text"This is your starting deposit". Term "deposit" is not used anywhere else, that's why I am unsure about the meaning. [EDIT :Found it in app 2nd page before game starts: "(A) In this mission, Objective tokens represent nutrient deposits"]

b) Percentage setup. (Downloadable sheet)

Now you have to draw 2 research cards, using higher value card and write the number in nutrient spaces.

Just an example: P 50%, K 45%, Ca 40%, Mg 35%, S 50%.

Now I have to calculate the sum and percentages.
TOTAL (100%) [The 100% I find "mildly" confusing, but I know what it means) -> 215.
30% of TOTAL : 64,5
60% of TOTAL : 129
90% of TOTAL : 193,5

[The startup total percentage can theoretically fluctuate anywhere from 125% to 250%]

Question: What is the 90% needed for anyway, can this be ignored?
THIS IS A MISTAKE, FORGET 90%, 100% YOU ALREADY HAVE
I assume, these numbers are NOT rounded, they are all thresholds needed for the mission step achievements. In my example it would mean, I need at least 65 (=+ 30% total) to stop plants from dying, 130 (=+60% total +) to get normal growth rules, 195 for 90% doesn't seem to be needed, 215 (=100% WIN !)
-----------------------------
Now for the questions during gameplay:

Do you keep 1-5 tokens after examined, since you can go to discovery (at half effectiveness)?
Example: Round 4, I do research on #4 token. Do I keep it, so I can do research second time on #4 in Round 5 for Discovery (half percentage bonus).YES! You can research 2nd time, But not be used for skill anymore!

Can I have several copies of the same sample-# and even do research on them in the same round.
Example I have collected 2x #5. Can I do simultaneous research then?
YES!
For this special action and the Carbon dioxide enrichement mission says you get half the percentage ROUNDED UP. WHAT do I round it up to?
I assume this alway goes in 5 % steps ?!
This would mean: 15% (7,5) -> becomes 10%, 25% (12,5) -> 15%, 35% (17,5) -> 20%. 30% -> 15% , 40% -> 20% , 50%-> 25%.
Correct ?? WRONG! Just up to the next whole number, 15% card calculates to -> 8 %, 25% card -> 13%, 35% card -> 18%

The #6 token problem.
Unlike what I have previously stated for #1-#5, the #6 seems to be different. It can ONLY be EXAMINED. So do I discard it after 1 research?
YES!

NOW THIS HAS CONSEQUENCES!
-You can discard the 15% card now, THAT ALSO HAS THE NUMBER 06 on it.
Therefore you cannot get additional #6 into play anymore UNLESS you already have them in play for additional research.
(In one of my game I really did have all three 6s out at setup).
Let's say I do another #6 research, 2nd card to be (INSTANTLY REMOVED FROM GAME ? would be 25% -> 01 card, (3rd would be 30% -> 05 card).

1) Can this affect a 2nd research action IN THE SAME ROUND (better outcome, worst card is already gone)

2) THIS WOULD MEAN YOU COULD NO LONGER BRING #1 TOKENS (or #5) INTO PLAY,IS THIS INTENTIONAL ?
ANSWER: UNFORTUNATE MISTAKE IN WORDING, CARD STAYS IN DECK FOR PURPOSE WHEN PLACING #TOKENS BECAUSE STILL NEEDED, REMOVE ONLY FOR RESEARCH OR CO2-Action OR SIMPLER: IF YOU DRAW THE 15% (+maybe 25%, 30%) JUST KEEP DRAWING THE NEXT CARD!

Lastly, it is possible when exploring new tiles OR via Co2-Enrichement to draw a research card of a # that has already all three #tokens in play. Then nothing happens, you drew a blank , correct? YES!

Complete List of research cards for comparison of questions:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

15% - 06
25% - 01
30% - 05
35% - 04
40% - 03
50% - 02

Question on skills (when cubes needed)

EUREKA! (Geologist), Joining forces, Precautionary measures (Scientist) need sample-cubes , I assume theoretically You COULD discard #tokens in this scenario to trigger skills ?

YES! IMPORTANT: A #TOKEN CAN BE USE FOR SKILL OR RESEARCH. IF 1st USED FOR RESEARCH FOR "EXAMINE", YOU CANNOT TAKE IT OUT AND THEN USE IT FOR SKILL, YOU CAN ONLY MAKE 2nD RESEARCH FOR "DISCOVERY"

I am really sorry for another monster lengthish post, but this scenario is simply borderline unplayable without clarification.
FORGET THIS BECAUSE IGNACY IS AWESOME!
You have fuse rules-fragments from 4 different sources (rulebook, scenario sheet, app, downloadsheet).
However, in case I DID play everything correctly, scenario is pretty hard and awesome, I won by pure luck on my 3rd try (3 players, medium difficulty). YES!!! I SURVIVED! 1x on a 50-50 Chance Die Roll for Life or Death and final research needed 40%+!!

If it helps, the next scenario in line, LOCAL MATERIALS seems VERY clear, I do not have a single question so far (will come though, I'm certain)

And thx Ignacy for all your efforts and bringing this game to life! I really DO lov' your work!kiss

(Although it is possible you will be one day assasinated with a rulebook)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Scenario: MALNOURISHED PLANTS. Setup and Gameplay Qus #(tokens (Esp. #6, research cards,Skills)
1. Thank you for all questions.

2. I answered all your questions in the dedicated thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26386112#26386112 I hope it will help many users. Thank you.

3. If you have any future quick questions, you can ping me on twitter (@trzewik) when you play or send email, I will help as you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I really like the balance and challenge of this scenario when playing solo. I would highly recommend playing this scenario second once you play the intro scenario if playing solo. It is just hard enough, where I have lost three times in a row now, but just barely!

I think the Landing scenario is by far the most difficult to play solo, and dare I say impossible...even on easy. I will keep trying to beat it though...I will find a way!! I will engineer the s*** out of that scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.
Landing is the hardest, really really hard.
Please, try out all other and THEN try Landing. It's not worth struggling with it now, if you have so many other easier missions. Learn step by step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.