Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet» Forums » Rules

Subject: PROBE ON THE LOOSE - OFFICIAL ANSWERS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have any questions for this mission, please, post them here and I will answer. Based on your questions and doubts we will build a FAQ that will be uploaded into app for your convenience.

1. The Ring 3 East and Northeast can NEVER be explored. Is it still possible for Signals to land there, that could count towards the chain? Can they also be used for Special actions? (remove 2, place 1, or move 1 one to an adjacent tile).
Yes.

2. Can the chain consist of more than 7 Signals? (8-9 signal path legal?)
Yes.

3. The chain does NOT have to be 7 Signals "LOOOOONNG". Several signals can lay on 1 ROI.

Correct.

4. The chain happened in a way that there were 3 legal places where the probe could have landed! Do you have to DECLARE where the probe is to explore/gather or can you just choose 1 place to explore and if you don't like your path maybe later change your mind?
You can change your mind later.

5. From Sol 4-6 text says "Roll red, orange , and yellow die. Text and red backgorund colouring stops then. Are there NO Dice in Sol 7 and 8 or this rather unfortunate graphic design?

The storm ended. You don't roll dice in 7 and 8 SOL (unless you have red cubes in malfunction box - then you roll anyway).

6. Can the Geologist/Rover Op use her Eureka skill and spend 2 morale tokens to pick up the samples dropped by the probe on the loose or can this only be done with a 'Gather' action?
I am sorry, he cannot. The rules of the mission say it must be preciselly sample from the ROI with [christmass tree ;] icon. Geologist can provide you with a Sample. The mission asks you for THE Sample.

7. Could confirm that the path can go via adjacent tiles on the same ring as well. Because we drew a square of signals the first production phase (W1&2 + NW1&2) and I was for a moment wondering, if I can build a square path linking all four or can use only 2 of them (straight to ring 3).
Anypath is valid as long as it:
- starts in Ring1
- ends in Ring2
- has 7 signals

8. When the app asks me to remove tokens from an ROI, if I have no alternative, I must break the chain? I am not quite clear which are the tokens on a ROI ...

The app asks for Modifier tokens, not Objective tokens. Fear not.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Tom is crazy!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
- Per rule page 4 ) The Ring 3 East and Northeast can NEVER be explored,correct?

- But is it still possible for Signals to land there, that could count towards the chain? Can they also be used for Special actions? (remove 2 place 1, or move 1 one to an adjacient tile).

-Can the chain consist of more than 7 Signals? (8-9 signal path legal?)

-One thing is clear, the chain does NOT have to be 7 Signals "LLOOOONNG". Several signals can lay on 1 ROI.

-In a test game , the chain happened in a way by coincidence that there were 3 legal places where the probe could have landed! (all 3 southern Ring 3 regions)
Do you have to DECLARE where the probe is to explore/gather and if so when?
Or can you just choose 1 place to explore if you don't like your path maybe later change your mind?

- From Sol 4-6 text says "Roll red, orange , and yellow die. Text and red backgorund colouring stops then. Are there NO Dice in Sol 7 and 8 or this rather unfortunate graphic design ?!

Else this scenario was pretty clear :-)thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ledlauzis
msg tools
mb
Ignacy,

Just completed this on med difficulty, very interesting and fun scenario.

Perhaps it would be easier for folks to understand if you could confirm that the path can go via adjacent tiles on the same ring as well. Because we drew a square of signals the first production phase (W1&2 + NW1&2) and I was for a moment wondering, if I can build a square path linking all four or can use only 2 of them (straight to ring 3).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Fleming
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Can the Geologist/Rover Op use her Eureka skill and spend 2 morale tokens to pick up the samples dropped by the probe on the loose or can this only be done with a 'Gather' action?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
If you have any questions for this mission, please, post them here and I will answer. Based on your questions and doubts we will build a FAQ that will be uploaded into app for your convenience.

1. The Ring 3 East and Northeast can NEVER be explored. Is it still possible for Signals to land there, that could count towards the chain? Can they also be used for Special actions? (remove 2, place 1, or move 1 one to an adjacent tile).
Yes.

Hi Ignacy, I just thought you might like to know that the App directly disagrees with this statement; the in-mission FAQ says to redraw the direction cards if it would place an objective token in those spaces.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Molik
msg tools
mattpburgess wrote:
trzewik wrote:
If you have any questions for this mission, please, post them here and I will answer. Based on your questions and doubts we will build a FAQ that will be uploaded into app for your convenience.

1. The Ring 3 East and Northeast can NEVER be explored. Is it still possible for Signals to land there, that could count towards the chain? Can they also be used for Special actions? (remove 2, place 1, or move 1 one to an adjacent tile).
Yes.

Hi Ignacy, I just thought you might like to know that the App directly disagrees with this statement; the in-mission FAQ says to redraw the direction cards if it would place an objective token in those spaces.


Yes indeed! In the latest version of the app (1.06), there are now both answers - the one above, and the one advising to redraw, so the FAQ is quite contradictory.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Emer
Italy
Taio
Trento
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in the mission probe on the loose should I consider as a token the signals? When the app asks me to remove tokens from an ROI, if I have no alternative, I must break the chain? I am not quite clear which are the tokens on a ROI ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
trzewik wrote:
If you have any questions for this mission, please, post them here and I will answer. Based on your questions and doubts we will build a FAQ that will be uploaded into app for your convenience.

1. The Ring 3 East and Northeast can NEVER be explored. Is it still possible for Signals to land there, that could count towards the chain? Can they also be used for Special actions? (remove 2, place 1, or move 1 one to an adjacent tile).
Yes.

Hi Ignacy, I just thought you might like to know that the App directly disagrees with this statement; the in-mission FAQ says to redraw the direction cards if it would place an objective token in those spaces.



I will check it.
It is strange.
Sorry for problem.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
What does it mean when the objective says "Not all ROI's on the way need to be explored".

Can I just go into a few unexplored ROI's, that has signals on them, and explore/gather on the last ROI in ring 3, where the Probe is?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Klauseren wrote:
What does it mean when the objective says "Not all ROI's on the way need to be explored".

Can I just go into a few unexplored ROI's, that has signals on them, and explore/gather on the last ROI in ring 3, where the Probe is?
It means you don't have to explore every ROI that makes up part of the line in order to complete the scenario, but you will still have to explore an unbroken line of ROIs out to the edge to gather at the final objective token space (which must be in ring 3).
You can't ever travel through unexplored regions to explore other regions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Img#1: So that means, in this 1st image, it's basically futile to make an explore-path this long?



Img#2: And this example (just go straight now), won't work, because then I don't follow 7 signals?



Img#3: Finally, this one would be acceptable? Because I can draw a path that starts at R1 and ends at R3, but I can just go a "shortcut" straight north, in order to easily reach the R3 for the final Gather action?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Klauseren wrote:
Img#1: So that means, in this 1st image, it's basically futile to make an explore-path this long?



Img#2: And this example (just go straight now), won't work, because then I don't follow 7 signals?



Img#3: Finally, this one would be acceptable? Because I can draw a path that starts at R1 and ends at R3, but I can just go a "shortcut" straight north, in order to easily reach the R3 for the final Gather action?


In that example, you only need to explore R1-N, R2-N and R3-N.

You don't need to have explored every ROI with a signal, so long as you have explored enough to reach the 7th / final signal at R3, and enough other places on the signal path to find 2 downward facing arrow icons (that signify dropped samples).

If you can explore a straight line from the hub to the edge where the final signal lies, and two of those ROIs have the objective arrow, you don't need to explore any more.

Edit: Although looking closer at your photo, only the Canyon (4) has that icon on it, so you actually need to do more exploring to find that second objective icon to gather the second dropped sample.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Gotcha!

Guess I got confused about the rule that said it should begin in ring 1, I must have thought that also meant start exploring the path there too.

As for objective tokens, these ROIs wee just for example. I had already died in this mission
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Klauseren wrote:
Gotcha!

Guess I got confused about the rule that said it should begin in ring 1, I must have thought that also meant start exploring the path there too.

As for objective tokens, these ROIs wee just for example. I had already died in this mission

Just a visual example:



You've created an unbroken signal line of at least 7 signals (of which you can have more than one on a single ROI).
You've found two samples (black cubes as indicated by objective arrow on ROI) along the signal path (don't forget to gather them).
And you've explored a valid path all the way to the 7th / final signal
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Great. I'll give the mission another go tonight. I think I was over-thinking the rules on this one, it's simpler than I initially thought
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
msg tools
Where in the rules does it say that you can't explore Ring 3 E or Ring 3 N-E? I can't find anything on P4 of the rulebook per the original question. Is this a general rule or a scenario specific rule?

Thanks

Mike
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mike76 wrote:
Where in the rules does it say that you can't explore Ring 3 E or Ring 3 N-E? I can't find anything on P4 of the rulebook per the original question. Is this a general rule or a scenario specific rule?

Thanks

Mike

I believe it's in the app FAQ

Edit: (From the Probe on the Loose app FAQ) The Ring 3 East and Northeast can NEVER be explored.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
msg tools
Thanks - I saw that but I assumed that was clarifying that you do place signals there even though you can't explore. It just seemed odd that the only reference to the 'no explore' rule on those spaces was in the FAQ.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mike76 wrote:
Thanks - I saw that but I assumed that was clarifying that you do place signals there even though you can't explore. It just seemed odd that the only reference to the 'no explore' rule on those spaces was in the FAQ.


Mike, this was needed because of the rule that there can NEVER be an ROI placed in these two spaces (under any scenario circumstances)...the Facility footprint extends into these spaces.
So, I guess they were just clarifying that concept that no signals go there either. (Essentially, these spaces simply do not exist in our real world...) I think that was explained in the rule book, and this simply clarifies it for this mission....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
msg tools
Thanks - this makes a lot of sense, given that the facility overlaps those tiles. Hence, why I wanted to clarify as it has relevance beyond just this scenario. I just can't find the part in the rulebook where it says that and it's been driving me crazy! I'll play it this way from now on though...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mike76 wrote:
Thanks - this makes a lot of sense, given that the facility overlaps those tiles. Hence, why I wanted to clarify as it has relevance beyond just this scenario. I just can't find the part in the rulebook where it says that and it's been driving me crazy! I'll play it this way from now on though...
Page 5:
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Caldes
Spain
Palma de Mallorca
flag msg tools
In the last game, the chain ended in R3 East. First objective completed, but this ROI can never be explored, so to achieve the third objective (explore and gather R3) I must take a special action to move the last objective token to an adjacent tile.
In that case, the chain would be broken. Moreover, I found the probe in R3 East but now I have to gather it at R3 Southeast....mmmm...I don't understand...does it makes sense for you?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
acaldesc wrote:
In the last game, the chain ended in R3 East. First objective completed, but this ROI can never be explored, so to achieve the third objective (explore and gather R3) I must take a special action to move the last objective token to an adjacent tile.
In that case, the chain would be broken. Moreover, I found the probe in R3 East but now I have to gather it at R3 Southeast....mmmm...I don't understand...does it makes sense for you?


The app has a "hint / FAQ" section (press on the light bulb in the upper right corner while playing the mission). The last entry there specifies that R3E and R3NE cannot have signals, apparently reversing the initial ruling in the first entry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
=play testingwhistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With the temporary camp, you treat the campsite just as if it were the HUB, right? So there's no pawn deduction and you ignore the blue effect that may be on that ROI (unless it's the impassable one)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.