6 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: Shared Encounters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Metal Rabbit
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We're currently playing with an in-house variant: shared encounters. These make success more likely, but at a price of only one potential 'reward' for the group. Any views?

1. 2 or more investigators on the same space may declare that they are sharing an encounter; this shared encounter may occur on the encounter phase of any of the sharing investigators

2. Monsters are encountered as (a) horror first, each investigator rolls as usual and suffers individual sanity penalty as usual, then (b) strength, where each member of the group rolls and the accumulated 'firepower' is matched to the monster's health and toughness, usually resulting in a dead monster and no group damage, though if is any group damage, it is inflicted against each member (so 3 members failing by 1 would each lose a health)

3. Each test in the encounter can be undertaken by any one member of the group (decide between you). Card-defined clue submission ("place 1 clue to close this gate", etc) can be provided by any member of the group giving up a clue (or Norman with a sanity)

4. If the encounter is successful, the investigators share the rewards as they choose, to the sum of the rewards on the card.

5. If the encounter is unsuccessful, each and every member of the group suffers individual penalties (such as damage, loss, conditions, delay) but global penalties (such as doom advancing) occur once only.

This sharing means that investigators as a group, with mixed skills, can face tough challenges with more optimism and more chance of group success. We find these shared encounters tend to happen when a test is Important (the Ancient One has awoken and tests must be passed) or a Big Horrid Monster needs to be dealt with. It fits into our view of the spirit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik O'Rourke
Ireland
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think support classes already do this. if you're having trouble passing tests maybe it's your team composition. recently a friend of mine said he hadn't won a single game. he was using all combat and magic classes with no support. don't underestimate the power of +1 to a particular skill. a good idea is to remember, whether you believe it or not the game is balanced.
that said, some added co-op is fine. I think I'm kind of a glutton for punishment and a purist, andif It's not broken it doesn't need fixing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a good variant to me. I find the support classes are insufficient as often only one person at most wants to play one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea (I had similar issues with Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set) but with the strength check in combat letting everyone roll dice and add them might make it a little too easy. How about one character does there roll as normal and the others test strength without using any cards and add any successes to the pool or they can add one card to the roll (so if you had the axe you would roll 2 dice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your game play it as you like.
I would like to point out however that monsters do stay wounded, so already multiple characters can fight them in a single round.
When we play we rarely spend much time in the same area, being scattered around trying to accomplish everything at once, so I'm not sure it would be a change that would benefit us at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence -Mark Twain
badge
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome Idea. Totally using this. Will make the mystery encounter decks a lot less soul crushing. Printing your post right now and adding it to the Eldritch horror suitcase of DOOM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.