Subject: Sequence Question for Onslaught (using Dreadmire's rules) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm pretty sure this is correct,but wanted to verify with you guys. Say I have a Stormtrooper in the first zone, and I reveal a Prowler.

Now I would think it would go:
-Prowler's reveal says deal 3 damage to the 1st troop in the lane.
-I play a Med Pak to block 2 damage, and then play the Stormtrooper's ability to deal 2 damage.

Is the above situation correct or would it be:
-Prowler deals 3 damage, killing Stormtrooper
-No chance to play Med Pak
-No chance to use Stormtrooper's ability

The only reason I think the second could be correct is per the Dreadmire rules " Simultaneous Effects: If multiple Abilities
would resolve at the same time, first
resolve any Enemy Abilities before
resolving any Abilities from Troops or
Items. If multiple Abilities from Troops
and/or Items would resolve at the same
time, the players may decide the order."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your main variant is correct.
1. Reveal abilities are triggered.
2. Play whatever you want.
3. Reveal abilities are applied (regardless of how many life points are left on the monster(s)).
The Onslaught cards with "on reveal" effects (troops, items) are simplified in Dreadmire (this section is in the end of the rules), because any adequate effect may be played in response to enemy reveal abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure ? Is there an official answer anywhere ?

The rules state :

• To begin the Combat Phase, flip the first Enemy Card (the card farthest to the Right on the Enemy Lane Board) face-up.
• If it has a Reveal Ability it will be resolved at this time.
• Players may react to the Enemy at this time by using Abilities and/or playing Instants from their hands.

and

Simultaneous Effects: If multiple Abilities would resolve at the same time, first resolve any Enemy Abilities before resolving any Abilities from Troops or Items.

One could argue that the reveal is resolved first, killing the stormtrooper before he can resolve his effect.

While enemies have a special rule :

Enemy Reveal Abilities cannot be prevented unless a card specifically states it does so. That means, for example, even if you kill the revealed Enemy with an Ability or Item, its Reveal Ability will still resolve.

Troops are not included with this rule so their damage may be prevented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, you are right. The only 'official' clarification I found was an example in a kickstarter comment from the deadmire campaign :

Example: Hi-Ex Grenade from Onslaught, Deal 3 Damage to 1 Enemy

if an enemy was flipped and it was "Game Ender": 3 Power, 3 HP Reveal: Deal the base a billion damage

Before, you couldnt even respond with the Hi-Ex. Now, you can killing the enemy) but the reveal effect will still happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Henrik, yes, that's it.
Thanks for finding this clarification! At least something we can use to be sure =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmine Migliore
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so if I understand correctly, the difference between Onslaught and Dreadmire is that I can damage and eventually kill an enemy before he deals damage but only after he applies his reveal effect right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. As far as I remember how it works with Onslaught.

More precise - you can damage and eventually kill an enemy before he deals damage, but the reveal effect will be applied regardless of this (when it's time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.