Subject: An unofficial buyer's guide to Legendary 2018 edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Legendary [+] [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 14 sets of Marvel Legendary out there, and this can be overwhelming for players who might want to get into the system or to players who want to expand, but have to do that on a budget. In what follows I'm going to try to briefly argue which are, in my opinion, the best sets to buy if you don't want to get them all. Numerous caveats apply, from the fact that this guide is based on my own preferences to the fact that, depending on your country, it might be more difficult to get some of the sets yet (Fantastic Four has just been reprinted, but it is more difficult for non-U.S. based players to get it for the moment; also, X-men might not have been released yet in some of the countries). The most important caveat, nonetheless, is that my thoughts on the difficulty of some sets/masterminds are based solely on 2-player games. If you play solo, or at higher player counts, your experience might differ to a significant degree.

That being said, let me proceed by first discussing the 2 core sets and then the expansions in chronological order (but classifying them as big box and small box expansions). Big boxes come with 350 cards each (Civil War and X-men have close to 400 cards) and small boxes with 100 cards each.

Core sets

1. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. The one that started it all. It contains some of the most iconic heroes (Deadpool, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Cyclops, Wolverine), but is at the same time the simplest expansion. Although the difficulty might be higher when playing with 5 players, with 2 almost none of the randomized setups is going to give you much trouble, except for the classic Loki - Legacy Virus combo. The masterminds are effectively pinadas that you beat in order to reap benefits. Loki and Dr Doom (if you don't use heroes with Tech) are the only ones who are mildly entertaining. I'm not the biggest fan of this core set, especially as it's received lots of reasonable criticism (such as the fact that all 14 cards of a hero have the same artwork).

2. Legendary: Villains – A Marvel Deck Building Game. As far as I am concerned, this is what Marvel Legendary should have been from the start. Masterminds that are not all-powerful, but that can represent a fun challenge and even beat you enough times so that you'll feel that any victory is actually an accomplishment. It adds New Recruits, who are cheap reinforcements that don't clog your deck that can be bought at all times. Unlike the Heroic core set, it adds lots of Keywords, such as Demolish, Dodge, X-treme attack, etc. It's lots of fun, and is especially recommended for those who don't mind to play as villains. With a few exceptions (Kraven, Ultron, Kingpin), most of the playable characters have had at least some heroic tendencies at one point in the comics, so there's also that...I especially recommend this set to those who don't mind the change of terminology (as most expansions employ the Heroic terminology). It's not a big deal for me, but I know it's been a complaint in the past so be aware of the fact that Heroes are called Allies, Henchman are called Back-up adversaries, Masterminds are called Commanders, etc. The only non-equivalent types of cards are Wounds, respectively Bindings, and Maria Hills, respectively Madam Hydras, but it's not a big deal if you consider them the same. Also, the city spaces are in a different order, but, once again, for me this is not a problem, as I can put the villains deck on the Mastermind place and vice versa.

3. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Marvel Studios, Phase 1. Ah, the ever divisive Marvel Studios core set. One of the most hated games on Board Game Geek, if one judges from the comments. However, do not get me wrong. It is a fun set - a dilluted experience of Marvel Legendary, to be honest, but still an entertaining one. Definitely not one for beginners, as it lacks replayability, with only 6 heroes included. Nonetheless, it is worth purchasing if you do not plan on playing this game a lot, if you want to attract new players to the system who are only MCU fans, or if you simply want to use Coulson in the game. I purchased it because I am a completionist, because I wanted to use the brand new starting cards (remember that I do not sleeved). I played a game using only the contents from this box and it was a pretty fun experience. However, this should be the last product you purchase, if you want to purchase it at all, the main reason being that it includes 90% cards that already exist in the game in one form or another.

Big box expansions

1. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Dark City. The first expansion to Marvel Legendary, it is still the most recommended one to beginners. The reason for this, in my opinion, it's that is very straightforward. It adds some new keywords and mechanics (special bystanders for instance), and makes official the Final Blow variant (I never play without it: what it entails is beating the mastermind a 5th time, which makes perfect sense both thematically and mechanically), but, other than that, it simply increases the difficulty by bringing to the game more of the same. It has some key heroes in the Marvel comics, such as Daredevil, Iron Fist, Professor X, Nightcrawler, Jean Grey, and some iconic masterminds: Kingpin, Apocalypse. The schemes are plenty of fun, and are based on some of the most beloved comic book stories: X-cutioner's song, Saving Hope Summers, etc. Organized Crime Wave and Detonate the Hellicarrier are still some of the most challenging and fun schemes to play. Overall, it's a very nice expansion, that rounds up Legendary pretty well, and exponentially increases the difficulty and the replayability. Nonetheless, it lacks that "wow" factor of some of the subsequent expansions.

2. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Secret Wars, Volume 1. We get now to the more controversial Secret Wars expansions. People usually dislike them because they either add less known characters to the game or versions of characters that are not the ones they are accustomed with. However, from a gameplay point of view, Secret Wars volume 1 is excellent. It adds Sidekicks, which are essential especially if you don't own Villains and have access to the New Recruits. It has a playable Thanos! You can use Old Man Logan against Wasteland Hulk and Magik against Madelyne Pryor. Other iconic heroes included are Namor, Dr. Strange or Black Bolt. The schemes are plenty of fun too. It also adds the first version of Green Goblin (in its Zombie incarnation) and the toughest group of villains, the Deadlands. From an artwork point of view, both Secret Wars volumes are unique, in that they do not use only commissioned artwork, but employ the one used in the comics, in order to better evoke the theme.

3. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Secret Wars, Volume 2. Even more than Secret Wars volume 1, this set adds some of the less known characters that appeared in the Secret Wars comics: Dr Punisher, Soldier Supreme or Arkon for instance. Nonetheless, it's plenty of fun. It's one of the more challenging expansions, due to new keywords such as Charge or Fateful Resurrection, and it has plenty of nice touches, from a recruitable Mastermind Tactic (don't want to spoil which one though) to Masterminds that go into the city to do the dirty work (King Hyperion). If you ever wanted to have a version of the Justice League in the game, even as villains, Hyperion and his Utopolis villains are the closest you'll ever get to that.

4. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Civil War. Thematically, the set is not neutral. It obviously takes Captain America's side, as it pits you against Maria Hill, Authoritarian Iron Man, Ragnarok, Baron Zemo (leading the Thunderbolts!!) and Misty Knight. However, mechanically, it's plenty of fun. It adds the Pet Avengers as special Sidekicks, Grievous Wounds, and plenty of interesting stuff, such as Divided cards or Fortifying villains. If you ever wanted an Avengers-heavy box, this is the one to go for. It has Vision, Luke Cage, Spider-Man with the Avengers affiliation, Black Panther (and Storm).

5. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – X-Men. I think that the freshness of the X-men set doesn't necessarily reside in the flashy, striking aspects such as Traps, Piercing Energy, Horror Cards or Epic Masterminds. It lies in the fact that the mechanics are especially focused on the X-men as a team, and you really feel the synergies better than ever before. It lies in the small changes to gameplay, in Onslaught's 5-card hand restriction, in Mojo's modification of Bystanders Victory Points, in Deathbird's leading 2 groups of enemies, in the clever design of Wolverine& Colossus. It's a very fun expansion, and a very tough one. It might be the most difficult set released so far, as the schemes are absolutely brutal, and the Epic versions of the Masterminds are lethal in non-randomized, non-Piercing Energy heavy-setups. It is the essential X-men expansion and it represents the best Marvel Legendary has to offer to this day.

6. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – World War Hulk. Hulk may not know much at times, but he sure knows how to SMASH! This expansion adds a lot of interesting mechanics that center around Hulk's ability to get stronger during the course of a battle. Wounded Fury, Smash, plus the exciting Transforming cards make this one of the more exciting Legendary sets. If there's one thing that Legendary missed, it was more variety in the number of cards per hero. World War Hulk has got that covered, as it gives you extra cards for each hero in the set. Once a certain condition is satisfied (playing a certain number of cards, having defeated a certain number of villains, having played this turn a certain combination of cards), some cards Transform into other cards! For a non-sleever, this means a bit of extra time arranging the cards at the beginning of the game, but trust me, it's a lot of fun. If you enjoyed Thor Ragnarok(and who didn't?), you sure wanted to have a Gladiator Hulk. This set fulfills your wishes, and adds Korg and Miek for a Smashing fest. MODOK, Red Hulk, and the Illuminati themselves are worthy foes in an excellent set that's probably also the most thematic expansion so far. I can only hope that Ant-Man will reuse the Transform keyword, as it's an excellent addition.

Small box expansions

1. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Fantastic Four. If you wanted to use the Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer in the game, if you grew up reading their comics and watching the cartoons and if all you ever secretly desired was to stop Galactus from consuming the Earth, then this is the set to go for. It adds Focus, which represents an interesting new way to make use of your recruit points whenever you don't feel like recruiting anymore heroes. Focus means that you can use recruit points for certain things written on the cards (converting them into attack power, drawing cars, rescuing bystanders, KO-ing cards). It's a very good set, and Galactus literally eats the city as the game progresses through its master strikes. The schemes are also some of the most unique, especially the one where reality is pulled into the negative zone and you have to use attack for recruiting and recruit for attacking, which basically chances the way you approach a standard Legendary game.

2. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Paint the Town Red. I can't say that it's my favorite small box expansion, but it's a must have if you feel that regular Spider-Man is underpowered. Combining him with Black Suit Spider-man leads to ridiculously powerful combos, and you'll end up hating the tricky Mysterio (who has to be beaten at least 7-8 times per game) and Carnage, who destroys your best cards. If you want to battle the Sinister Six, then you must get this set.

3. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Guardians of the Galaxy. This is one set directed at fans of the movies, to be sure. You are now in control of Groot, Gamora, Star-Lord, Rocket and Drax and have to stop Thanos from controlling the world. The schemes make use of the new components introduces (Shards- tokens that represent fragments of the Infinity Stones) and it's the first time we get recruitable villains (in the form of the Infinity stones themselves). Some of the most beautiful artwork in the game on the Infinity Stones!

4. Legendary: Villains – A Marvel Deck Building Game: Fear Itself. A unique small bax, in that it is focused on a comic event (like most of the big boxes) and not on a team or a character. Sure, it gives you some weirdly named heroes, but it's so fun to fight Uru-Enchanted Iron Man that you won't care. It's the only expansion which employs the Villains terminology.

5. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Captain America 75th Anniversary. The first thing you notice in this expansion is that it is really focused on rescuing Bystanders, which is a thing that Captain America would definitely do. It also adds Winter Soldier and Falcon-Captain, so if you like those characters, go for it. Arnim Zola has been for me the most difficult Mastermind (until Dark Phoenix and Onslaught and their Epic versions were added in the X-men set at least).

6. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Deadpool. The set is as surreal and 4th-wall breaking as you'd expect a Deadpool set to be. The Mercs for Money are a fun dysfunctional team, and I love fighting Evil Deadpool, who is on par with Apocalypse. Sure, not everyone likes half-points or Excessive Violence, but it's a nice departure from more "serious" expansions.

7. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Noir. I like the Investigate keyword, which actually makes you feel like a Detective and works very well with other heroes which can manipulate the top of your deck, and also the Hidden Witnesses, which represent a new interesting way to spend your recruit points on. The schemes are also a Noir feeling, and overall everything works really well. I'm a big fan of Spidey Noir, and I was very satisfied with how the version we got here works.

8. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Spider-Man Homecoming. The most divisive expansion, Homecoming introduces screencaps in Marvel Legendary. A bold move, which has angered many people. However, many more people argued that the real problem with this set is the lack of diversity. 2 versions of the same mastermind (Vulture, Adrian Toomes), 2 versions of Spidey + Happy Hogan and Ned featured among the heroes! Nonetheless, the set is plenty of fun if you are able to go beyond aesthetics and just enjoy it. Danger Sense is an incredible thematic and efficient keyword, Striker is innovative, and we also get the much requested Coordinate mechanic from Encounters! Though it would not be my first recommendation, this is not as bad an expansion as I was thinking at the time of the previews.

9.Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Champions. This one is plenty of fun! If it is your first expansion, beware that it adds the most new mechanics out of all the small boxes. If you already have other sets, then it may seem the most conservative. It adds Cheering Crowds as a new mechanic, which allows a player to play a copy of a card with that keyword if she returns a bystander from her victory pile to the bottom of the bystander stack. An incredibly thematic keyword, given the Champions comics and their ideology. It works greatly as a self contained set, mainly because it has plenty of keywords that facilitate using cards for multiple purposes. Versatile, a keyword returning from Dark City, is the best implementation of that principle. Demolish, a Villains keyword, also makes an unexpected comeback. The schemes are some of the best in Legendary. You've got cheesy schemes such as depleting the Earth's oxygen, or thematic ones as using defeated monsters as gladiators against the Monsters Unleashed villain group. The heroes are excellent, working really well together, but also with their more famous counterparts,when these are already in the game. Gwenpool works really well with Deadpool, especially the one from his own expansion. Viv Vision's cards complement Vision's. Amadeus Cho hulk works greatly with Hulk.. Fin Fang Foom is one of the most challenging masterminds, especially his Epic side. Overall, it is a nice expansion, showing the best parts of the Legendary system and adding a new team to the forefront. Also, if you want more representation in your games, this is the set to go for. Ms Marvel, Amadeus Cho, are great additions in that regard.

10. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Ant-Man. The nostalgic phrase "they do not make them as they used to!" does certainly not apply to the latest Legendary expansion. A small expansion, with small-sized heroes, Ant-Man packs a lot of fun in the 100 cards it adds to the game. Size-changing makes a reappearance, and it does not come alone; we've got Microscopic Size-Changing! Besides being a mouthful, Microscopic Size-Changing adds the concept of negative recruit and attack points to the game. Not only can you recruit or attack for free heroes or villains, but now you can use any point under 0 to recruit or attack! The expansion feels very thematic as well. It incorporates two story lines, one focusing on Ultron and his numerous incarnations, and another on Morgan Le Fay doing some time-travelling reality-altering shenanigans. In reality you've got 4 masterminds, as Epic-sided Masterminds come back as well. Morgan Le Fay and the group she leads add something that has been missing so far: the concept of being able to attack a villain with only the cards of one hero. Chivalrous Duel can indeed become a game-changing ability if it will be reused in future expansions. A 1602 small box perhaps? The heroes included are related to the two masterminds: we've got the original Ant-Man Pym, Wasp, Jocasta, Wonder Man and Black Knight. While you would expect the first two to be the most interesting, in reality the latter three are much more entertaining to use. Jocasta has mechanics reminding of Shang-Chi, shuffling the discard pile back into the deck (coincidentally or intentionally, this makes her a good Ultron counter). Black Knight and Wonder Man are two of my favorite heroes ever introduced in Legendary. Fun fact, George RR Martin was inspired by Wonder Man's first introduction for a lot of his later work. For those who do not know, Wonder Man appeared at first as a villain posing as an Avenger, but he felt bad for what he was doing and turned heroic in the end. This led to his eventual demise in the same issue in which he was introduced (of course, he was revived a couple of years later). The schemes are plenty of fun as well, referencing the Microverse or the Medieval times Morgan Le Fay is associated with. This time I really do not see any negative aspects of the expansion. This is how a small box should look like.

What to buy if you're on a budget:

1. If you like X-men: either go for X-men or Dark City. X-men will give you Psylocke, Colossus& Wolverine, Dazzler, Jubilee, Havok, Phoenix, among others, and pit you against Shadow King, Mojo, Dark Phoenix or the Shi'ar empire, while the Dark City set has a more classic feeling, as it features as enemies Apocalypse, Stryfe, Mr Sinister, and as heroes Jean Grey, Professor X, Nightcrawler, Bishop or Angel. If you like darker characters such as Magneto, Mystique or Sabretooth, you should also consider getting the Villains core set (knowing that you'll miss from the heroic one characters such as Gambit, Emma Frost, Cyclops, Storm).

2. If you like Spidey: either Secret Wars volume 2 (gives you Agent Venom, Silk, Spider-Gwen), Homecoming or Paint the Town Red.

3. If you like the Avengers: definitely get the Heroic set and Civil War, or even Ant-Man.

4. If you like alternate timelines: Noir, Secret Wars volume 1 or 2, Ant-Man.

5. If you don't follow the comics but like the MCU: heroic core set, Guardians of the Galaxy, probably Civil War, Homecoming, World War Hulk.

6. If you like the Netflix series: Dark City.

7. If you like Agents of SHIELD: tough luck, mate.

8. If you just want to have fun without very complex mechanics: heroic core set + Dark City.

9. If you want a challenge, but don't want to invest in big sets: heroic core set + Fantastic Four, or heroic set plus Champions, or heroic set + Ant-Man.

10. If you like Deadpool: heroic core set + Deadpool.

11. If you like Captain America: Heroic core set, Captain America 75th anniversary, Civil War.

12. If you like the concept of playing as a villain: Villains core set, Fear Itself, perhaps Secret Wars volumes 1 (playable Thanos or Proxima Midnight) or 2 (playable Corvus Glaive).

13. Best buys: either of the 2 sets (mechanically, I prefer Villains; Heroic core set is easier to integrate though) + Dark City, X-men or World War Hulk.

14. If you are big on theme: Noir, Secret Wars (either volume), Dark City

15. Easiest expansions: Paint the Town Red, Secret Wars volume 1

16. If you want to turn Legendary into a Player versus player experience: Secret Wars volume 1, as it has the Ambition cards which allow a player to be the mastermind.

17. Most challenging sets: Deadpool, Villains (on its own it's a brutal set), X-men.

18. Most interesting mechanics: X-men, Fantastic Four, Fear Itself, Champions, World War Hulk

19. If you like Hulk: World War Hulk.

20. If you like Ant-Man: Ant-Man.

See my Legendary reviews here:

Noir: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1804001/it-doesnt-get-any-b...

Captain America: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1580494/collection-complete...

Civil War: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1630322/not-cult-new-syndro...

Secret Wars volume 1: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21121247#21121247

Secret Wars volume 2: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1500714/favourite-expansion...

A summary of the reasons why I love Legendary: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1804220/why-legendary-my-fa...

Mini X-men review: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1812439/thoughts-after-firs...

If you want to see what characters and keywords each expansion adds, see this GeekList made by Itai Rosenbaum: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/227744/marvel-legendary-w...

And if you are more of a visual person, check out this incredible resource: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1973570/comprehensive-visua...

Finally, here you can find some great tips for new players: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1964916/tips-new-marvel-leg...

Most importantly, though: have fun playing, irrespective of what sets you own!
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
United States
Peotone
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: An unofficial buyer's guide to Legendary 2017 edition
No mention of the 3D cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice info for new players to the game. I own the Legendary: Marvel core, GotG xp, and just picked up the Dark City xp. I mainly pick Schemes and Heroes at random, and don't find the schemes as easy as other players.

Curious why you added "Heroic" core set? Are there more than one versions of the Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game core box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I called it "heroic" in order to distinguish it from the separate Villains core set.

Until the 3d cards are widely available, I don't consider them to be part of the Legendary system
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job! I was raised on X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons and occasionally buying comics from the local pharmacy. X-Men are my favorite, but the movies have been average. That being said, I am not super informed about the marvel universe, mostly cartoons and movies. I went with base set, dark city's, civil war and X-Men. I got a ton content for about 170 bucks with card sleeves. I am pretty happy with my decisions, but the only disconnect is I don't know who allot of the people are. Big boxes are the way to go if you are a board gamer first tho, in my opinion. You got enough material to play with some folks you know at all times but change the scene. Thanks for the post. Just thought I'd add my two sense. I do think I want fantastic four and guardians, but I'm cheap and want the most band for my buck. Probably will pull the trigger eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Until the 3d cards are widely available, I don't consider them to be part of the Legendary system

They certainly shouldn't be part of a buyer's guide, that's for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredibly detailed post!
I'll link to this now when "which expansion should I buy?" threads pop up every other day

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

They certainly shouldn't be part of a buyer's guide, that's for sure.

I never even saw them in stores. I could have gotten them from a card dealer a few hours from my place, but it would have cost me over $100 for 2 heroes, 2 henchmen sets, and Stan Lee. No way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting a "Legendary buyer's guide" has been on my to-do list for a couple months now, so now I don't have to!

I did have some quibbles though. I wouldn't really recommend Civil War for MCU fans. Other than Falcon and Vision, there's not much there for MCU fans, I feel. My friends who only see the movies didn't like the Civil War expansion much at all. I'd actually recommend Secret Wars V1 instead because there you get Doctor Strange, Black Panther, another Iron Man, Thanos, and Captain Marvel (although the latter isn't in the MCU yet, she will be soon). Black Bolt is also coming soon to the MCU. Sort of. And if you change "MCU" to "movies", you can add Old Man Logan to that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I did recommend it because it has Falcon, Vision, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Peter Parker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Well, I did recommend it because it has Falcon, Vision, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Peter Parker

If you've got Luke Cage and any version of Spider-Man, that's your recommended set.

Biggest gripe with Legendary: X-Men? No X-Men affiliated Spider-Man.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Posting a "Legendary buyer's guide" has been on my to-do list for a couple months now, so now I don't have to!

I did have some quibbles though. I wouldn't really recommend Civil War for MCU fans. Other than Falcon and Vision, there's not much there for MCU fans, I feel. My friends who only see the movies didn't like the Civil War expansion much at all. I'd actually recommend Secret Wars V1 instead because there you get Doctor Strange, Black Panther, another Iron Man, Thanos, and Captain Marvel (although the latter isn't in the MCU yet, she will be soon). Black Bolt is also coming soon to the MCU. Sort of. And if you change "MCU" to "movies", you can add Old Man Logan to that list.

Being a comic fan even more than an MCU fan (though not by much!), I really liked the Secret Wars sets. Captain Marvel was a huge draw for me. And I loved the use of bizarre, little characters like The Captain & The Devil and, yes, Dr. Punisher!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More unofficial buyer's guide: buy them all. You will eventually, might as well save on the postage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan folsom
msg tools
AdelinDumitru wrote:
7. If you like Agents of SHIELD: tough luck, mate.
This would be hilarious if it weren't so saddening...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Great read and very informative. Do you have any advice for the solo player? From what I understand, a lot of the characters in the villain set really play better in a multiplayer setting.

I used to own the game and a handful of expansions and enjoyed it but sold it off when FF was selling for $200 by itself. Now, I'm thinking about getting back into the game and can get all the sets minus Villians, Fear, and Deadpool, in one lot, but I know that I'll mostly be playing this as a solo game.

How are the newer sets like Civil War and X-Men? User friendly or better played with other people? I'm trying to get some opinions and feedback before I take the plunge again. If the game itself has moved away from the solo player I'd like to know so that I can save my money. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like them to do a set that doesn't add any new keywords.

It's getting a bit silly now, with everything you have to remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thegregwitul wrote:
Great read and very informative. Do you have any advice for the solo player? From what I understand, a lot of the characters in the villain set really play better in a multiplayer setting.

I used to own the game and a handful of expansions and enjoyed it but sold it off when FF was selling for $200 by itself. Now, I'm thinking about getting back into the game and can get all the sets minus Villians, Fear, and Deadpool, in one lot, but I know that I'll mostly be playing this as a solo game.

How are the newer sets like Civil War and X-Men? User friendly or better played with other people? I'm trying to get some opinions and feedback before I take the plunge again. If the game itself has moved away from the solo player I'd like to know so that I can save my money. Thanks.

I play solo, and the only expansions I don't have yet are Fear Itself and X-Men. Villains and Deadpool are the sets most focused on having multiple players, but for the most part even these work and are still fun to play in solo. There are one or two playable characters that don't work as great in solo (eg Magneto, Loki, Slapstick), but this is isn't drastically more common than in the other sets. All the other sets are just fine for solo play, and there's a thriving community of online league play for solo playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickaël LARROQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:

1. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Dark City. The first expansion to Marvel Legendary, it is still the most recommended one to beginners. The reason for this, in my opinion, it's that is very straightforward. It adds some new keywords and mechanics (special bystanders for instance), and makes official the Final Blow variant (I never play without it: what it entails is beating the mastermind a 5th time, which makes perfect sense both thematically and mechanically).

Final Showdown is in core box rules and not in Dark City ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrashOver1D wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

1. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Dark City. The first expansion to Marvel Legendary, it is still the most recommended one to beginners. The reason for this, in my opinion, it's that is very straightforward. It adds some new keywords and mechanics (special bystanders for instance), and makes official the Final Blow variant (I never play without it: what it entails is beating the mastermind a 5th time, which makes perfect sense both thematically and mechanically).

Correct but he's referring to Final Blow, which is different, and is in Dark City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickaël LARROQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
CrashOver1D wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:

Correct but he's referring to Final Blow, which is different, and is in Dark City.

Woha, my bad, received my Dark City yesterday and don't even notice at first read the difference between Final Showdown and Final Blow !

With Final Blow better for me because it works also in solo mode, I think I will use it instead on all games now ^^ (Untill now, I was using Final Showdown in 2+ players games)

Thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ALGO wrote:

There are many people who feel like this. I'd like to see some keywords reused, but, on the other hand, I'm more excited to try new keywords and mechanics. Moreover, wouldn't it be lazy design if they recycled the same keywords again and again? How many different things can you really do with Phasing or Teleport? Sure, Focus or Thrown Artifact could be reused in new and exciting ways, but I enjoy the new keywords. It's nice that the Magik bystander promo card in X-men has Teleport, sure, but I'm more interested in using X-Gene, Berserk, or any other Keyword that was introduced in X-men.

Besides fan-service, I don't know if reusing old mechanics would really improve upon the quality of expansions (I know this is a dissenting opinion, though, so don't throw tomatoes at me!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
ALGO wrote:

There are many people who feel like this. I'd like to see some keywords reused, but, on the other hand, I'm more excited to try new keywords and mechanics. Moreover, wouldn't it be lazy design if they recycled the same keywords again and again? How many different things can you really do with Phasing or Teleport? Sure, Focus or Thrown Artifact could be reused in new and exciting ways, but I enjoy the new keywords. It's nice that the Magik bystander promo card in X-men has Teleport, sure, but I'm more interested in using X-Gene, Berserk, or any other Keyword that was introduced in X-men.

Besides fan-service, I don't know if reusing old mechanics would really improve upon the quality of expansions (I know this is a dissenting opinion, though, so don't throw tomatoes at me!)

I think there are definately some keywords that still have some unused design mileage in them though.

EG the FF and Guardians expansions hardly represent an exhaustive list of all the different ways that Focus or Artifacts could be used.

I think the best model, is one where small boxes have new mechanics, and big boxes squeeze a couple of old things in with the new.

Novel combinations of keywords can be nice too, eg I made a custom Kitty Pryde set with both Phasing and Beserk/X-Gene in the same set, and I really liked how that worked, but these kind of combos won't come out so much if they never re-use keywords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross Dimensional Keyword Rampage

No tomatoes, but I do disagree. Especially on the tokens from Guardians - what, nobody else can use shards? Can we use them for something else, maybe? And if they're not creating cards specifically to exploit all this underused game space because the comics don't support it, isn't that the

(This is similar to my general dislike of keywords where the explanation is simpler; "Recruit: Place This Card On Top of your deck" would perhaps be more intuitive than Wall Crawl to casual players)

I guess I'm just hitting peak keyword a lot earlier than you.
I'm having to look up one or two every time, which isn't fun - especially since I mainly play opposite my wife, who just isn't interested in learning them all.

And I don't have X-Men yet that is going to add three or four more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
There are many people who feel like this. I'd like to see some keywords reused, but, on the other hand, I'm more excited to try new keywords and mechanics.

Excitement is fleeting, And if certain things aren't a keyword but instead printed on the card then we don't have to look them up. (And remember which rulesheet it is hidden on.)

Quote:
Moreover, wouldn't it be lazy design if they recycled the same keywords again and again?

No, it would be an indication of a solid well thought-out design; if they reprint the Vision hero set, but change the artwork/flavor text and hero name to Shadowcat, that is lazy design. There's plenty of mix&match space that shouldn't be overpowered with what keywords we have. The people calling for "no new keywords" know they aren't going to win, we're just hoping to slow it down, because having some player's second game have wallcrawl, teleport, soaring flight, and phasing is just going to be confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:

I think there are definately some keywords that still have some unused design mileage in them though.

EG the FF and Guardians expansions hardly represent an exhaustive list of all the different ways that Focus or Artifacts could be used.

(My emphasis)

Seriously, how have we not had loads more artifacts? Persistence could be a huge deal and there's relatively little.

I have a scheme in my head where debuffing-artifacts build a doomsday machine through twists but you can fight them from in front of you sending them back to the mastermind. Is this a thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.