Subject: Deso's Balance patch v2.2 released (11/10/2017) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Link
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/134464/desos-balance-patc...

Usage instructions are available on that link's first comment. Basically you need to download both V2.0 and the 2.1 update to use the current version.

Quote:
Smash up faction power balance leaves a bit to be desired. So after some discussion and testing I came up with several card adjustments that should make the game more interesting, usually improving the weaker factions or even the tweaking the gameplay of the stronger ones.

Highlights:
Pirates and Tricksters are significantly changed/improved. Zombies and robots are less overpowered.
Plants and Ghost should be more consistent to play and use.
Cthulhu set rework - Fishman are quite viable (with changes to 4 cards) MoC are way more powerful, ET lost card draw, hand and discard pile manipulation.
Vampires and ants are reworked into a high tier factions while werewolves and mad scientists feel more coherent / betterto use.
Thematic buffs for Fairies and princesses.
Time Travelers and super Spies are way better at their respective supportive niches.
Munchkin set rebalanced (no longer have treasures or monsters mechanics) - Warriors, Thieves, dwarves and treasures (as a faction) completely reworked.
Sharks reworked for a stronger identity (focuses on after minion destruction effects). Dragons tweaked (lost card draw). Greeks lost power counter in favor of action mechanics.

This file includes paste ups for factions from the following sets:

Core Set
Awesome Level 9000
The Obligatory Cthulhu Set
Science Fiction Double Feature
The Big Geeky Box
Monster Smash
Pretty Pretty Smash Up
Smash Up: Munchkin
Smash Up: It's your fault

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias F.
Germany
flag msg tools
Re: Deso's Balance patch v2.1 released
Some interesting changes. That's what I've been looking for. Even when it's much more than I would have changed. In my opinion it would have been enough to implement some minor changes for the strongest (Robots, Zombies, Horses and for some degree Greeks) and weakest factions (Innsmouth, Vampires, Tricksters, Elves) as well as little changes for some other cards. And I would have changed some of the cards another way.

Need some time to check which one are good changes for my copy of the game.

Isn't there a current German version? I could probably translate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Deso's Balance patch v2.11 released
Pjupe wrote:
Some interesting changes. That's what I've been looking for. Even when it's much more than I would have changed. In my opinion it would have been enough to implement some minor changes for the strongest (Robots, Zombies, Horses and for some degree Greeks) and weakest factions (Innsmouth, Vampires, Tricksters, Elves) as well as little changes for some other cards. And I would have changed some of the cards another way.

You can always create new adjustments or not use some.

Pjupe wrote:
Isn't there a current German version? I could probably translate.

Actually there isn't. I've uploaded a 2.11 stand alone version (just added a small typo fix) - it available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
V2.2 changelog

Dinosaur
Quote:
Tooth and Claw... and Guns - Play on a minion. Ongoing: During other player's turns this minion's power is increased by it's starting value.
Reverted - Howl

Tooth and Claw... and Guns was always an odd card - now it has an ability similar to Armor Stego (king rex can wield it well, but it's risky)
Howl went back to it's original form to simplify things.

Wizards
Quote:
Chronomage - You may play an extra action and place it on the top of your deck instead of the discard pile.

Since Puck appeared, Chronomage felt weak. This creates Summon + Neophyte combos (and can be chained in other ways) on top of improving the deck significantly (it lacked combos).

Plants:
Quote:
Blossom - Play on a base. Talent: Search your deck for a minion of power 2 or less and play it here as an extra minion. Shuffle your deck.

Venus Trap former ability returns - along with the deck decay if you dry it too fast. Incidently it's potential combo with Deep roots (your minions here cannot be destroyed, moved or return to hand) take 2 actions to setup.

Minions of Chutullu
Quote:
Chutullu Fhtagn - Special: Play before a base scores. Return one of your minions there to your hand.
Complete the ritual - Destroy a minion you control to search your deck for any minion and play it here as an extra minion. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

A simpler way to make Chutullu Fhtagn prolong the starspawn is making it cost lots of power on a scoring base - so it's quite costly in the end.
Complete the ritual on the other hand got simplified (it'll be used mostly for starspawn) and costs a sacrifice but it's heavily thematic.

Innsmouth
Quote:
Reverted In plain sight

It had an unecessary buff. The deep ones already rose this factions threat too much anyway.

Mad Scientists
Quote:
Body shop - Choose a card name. Place any number of minions with that name from your discard pile into your hand.
Lab Assistant - Talent: Remove a +1 power counter from one of your minions to draw a card.
Grave situation - Play on a base. Ongoing: After one of your minions here is destroyed or discarded, place a +1 power counter on one of your minions.
Überserum - Special: Play when one of your minions would gain a +1 power counter. Play this card on that minion instead. Ongoing: This minion has +3 power and cannot be destroyed.
Monster - Ongoing: This minion gains +2 power if it has at least one +1 power counter.

Reverted - Angry Mob, Blitzed, Herr Doktor

Mad scientists never really felt that different from ants in the sense of building up counters to get power. Now their focus is mixed between support and power by working around power coutners.
Body shop is a card like many others in undead decks - here it's focus is recovering two monster copies - the signature MC minion.
Lab Assistant now decreases your power to draw a card - making it potentially the biggest source of card draw - but then you'd need ants or vampires to get so many power couters.
Grave situation is an amplification of igor's ability - which is handy (and stacks on igor).
Uber serum was the hardest change to make it feels like doing science stuff - I used to make the old one limited to 3 power, so this itteration straight up grants +3 power instead of a single power counter as special play - opening up several combos (it's alive, Herr Doktor, Igor and so on...)
Monster got simplified - it keeps the signature it's alive combo without needless complication.
Angry Mob is back to having the opposite ability of Lab assitant - useful for winning the last base or avoiding losing the game (unless another faction provides a draw until you have X cards).
Blitzed is still under watch (it's quite weak currently).
Herr Doktor now have a propper place since he's useful for both Lab Assistant and Monster while setting combos with uber serum.

Vampires
Quote:
Buffet - Play on a base. Ongoing: Each time one of your minions here would gain any number of power counters, place an additional power counter on that minion.

This change makes buffet a propper support for their hunting strategies. And creates heavy sinergy with other power counter generating factions.

Princess
Quote:
Grizelda - reverted

This revert is needed to keep princesses original weakess - lacking action plays.

Mythic Horses
Quote:
Super Future Space Armor Power - Choose a minion you control. For each other minion you control on that base, that minion gains +2 power until the end of the turn.

No need to make this card strckly superior to Encouragement Power. It still have the same power potential - but is more prone to special plays.

Fairies
Quote:
reverted - Playful tricks

This card is already quite powerful, so it lost the ciclying option.

Clerics:
Quote:
Cardinal - Talent: If your discard pile has at least five cards, place one, chosen at random, into your hand.
Turner - Ongoing: Opponents cannot play minions of power 2 or less here.
Word of Recall - Choose a base. Return all opponents minions of power 2 or less there to their owner's hands.

Cardinal overshadowed Collection plate (a x2 card) to much.
Turner needed to be more universally useful, so this minion blocking gimmick was created - it's quite useful against unholy swarming faction and make good habbits way more useful (since it blocks low power minion spam).
The old Word of Recall rework was misplaced here - it was too reliable - so it gets a turner-like ability (and a pun on the idea of product recall).

Orc
Quote:
Too tough - typo fix
Gimme - Transfer the action played on a minion to one of your minions. Special: You may play this before a base scores.

This is a new threat - orcs can steal your stuff outside scoring (it's still a nerf over the original since they don't kill you first).

Mages
Quote:
Recover arcane wisdom - Draw until you have four cards in your hand.

A needed nerf. This deck was too proficient at assemblng large hands.

Super Heroes
Quote:
Expanded power - Play on a minion. Ongoing: This minion's talent may be activated one additional time during it's owner turns.
Side kick - Choose a base where you have a minion of power 5 or more. Play a minion there of power 2 or less as an extra minion. Play an extra action.

Expanded power was a bit bland - so it now boosts the top heroes allowing much more exciting plays.
Side kick was a bit too weak.

Dragons
Quote:
Hatchling - Ongoing: After a base scores, place two +1 power counters on this minion.
Dragon Lands - Play on a base. Ongoing: After another base scores, place a counter on this card. Your minions here have +1 power for each counter on this card.

Changing these cards support a more proactive base hampering strategy - you'll gain power until it's base scores - so If you make a base too unatractive you probably be able to build up a power edge on it.

Mythic Greek
Quote:
Revert Jason

This change is needed to remove the power counter farming out of the deck (he had old Odysseus ability).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.