Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuy Hardy
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo Leon
flag msg tools
mb

Lets talk about Gloom (this is the same review I did a few days ago in Spanish, please excuse any bad grammar or spelling), this game is like playing on the Addams family universe, were the misfortune is a good thing, and the good things are a misfortune. If you haven’t play Gloom before here’s a quick summary about the game, each player takes the roll of a family in this alternate universe, the objective of the game is making your family the unhappiest in the game, and try to kill them ASAP, so others can’t make their life better, they’re 2 types of cards: 1- event cards, it can be something “good” like “got bitten by a dog” or something “bad” like “became rich”; and 2- fatalities, like “died without love”, the lowest score (bad events have minus score, and good events have positive score) when a family is all dead wins the game.

Lets start with my experience, one day I go to the board games store in my city and this little box catches my attention, I liked the black and red box and the gothic art, the owner tells me about the gameplay and mechanics, and it’s sold I took it to my gaming group (at this point my gamer group at this point needed simple games). My first try on the game was with 2 of my best friends, and it sucked… the game was boring, slow and just plain… we suspended the game and play another, Gloom stayed in my shelf for months, I didn’t know the great game I was putting behind.

Fast-forward some months a friend ask to see my board game collection, Gloom got his attention and ask to play it with the group (different group) I wasn’t delighted with the idea, but why not, that friend find out that the main aspect of the game is about the storytelling, making rich and interesting background stories to the family you choose, and every action (event) in the game, I didn’t think that would make a huge difference, BUT MAN I was really wrong, it was one of the best nights ever, really fun, really interesting, that day I realize that some people are right for some games, and some people just aren’t… this new group, was the right amount of funny, clever, smart and creative, that bring this game all the way from “never going to play it again” to “I’m thinking more stuff for the story I’m going to tell next week”.

Summarizing… Gloom is a great storytelling game, a lot of fun, and a lot of laughs, the art is great, quality of the cards rocks, the box is not so good not so bad, and the game mechanics are simple and really good, in my mind if you have the right persons, this is a must have.

My rating: 8 of 10, great game with the right people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review! I totally agree that the game varies based on the group; I ultimately sold it because none of my friends are into storytelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.