Popular Tags: [View All]
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook Page 23 Tractor Beam says:
"The player targets a ship (allied or enemy) up to 2 squares away from his Battleship. There must be no obstacle between the Battleship and its target. The player moves this ship on any applicable adjacent square. If it is moved on a Special Square, immediately apply its affect.

The question is: What is "any applicable adjacent square?"

1) Is it a square adjacent to the Battleship or to the target ship?
2) If it is a square adjacent to the target ship, can the target ship be moved 3 spaces away from the Battleship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
ayejae wrote:
Rulebook Page 23 Tractor Beam says:
"The player targets a ship (allied or enemy) up to 2 squares away from his Battleship. There must be no obstacle between the Battleship and its target. The player moves this ship on any applicable adjacent square. If it is moved on a Special Square, immediately apply its affect.

The question is: What is "any applicable adjacent square?"

2) If it is a square adjacent to the target ship, can the target ship be moved 3 spaces away from the Battleship?

I don't know for sure but my initial guesses are; "target ship" and "yes". At least that is the way I would play it unless told otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carroll
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's tractor beam, not a pressor beam, so if they recognize that there is a difference, question 2 would be a "no." One pulls and the other pushes. I think in Star Trek they did both. Depends on your or the designer's SF "world view."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Campos
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think by "applicable" they just mean any space that is legal for a ship to be moved into. You couldn't move it into a space with enemy ships, or a space where it would exceed 5 points of your own ships.

There is nothing in the text of the rules that would prevent it from "pushing" back a space either. Rules > flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a response from Capsicum Games:

Capsicum Games wrote:
Thank you for the question.
it means a square where the ship can be moved with the standard rules : with less than 5 classes of ship and without other player ships.
Hope it helps you !
Fly Safe
Didier

It sounds to me that you can target any single ship (up to 2 spaces away) and basically move it 1 tile as if it moved legally on its own. That means you can potentially push it away so that it ends up 3 spaces away from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capsicum Games
France
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
ayejae wrote:

Move to an adjacent square to the target.

ayejae wrote:

Yes. It can be pulled or pushed.

kashre wrote:
I think by "applicable" they just mean any space that is legal for a ship to be moved into. You couldn't move it into a space with enemy ships, or a space where it would exceed 5 points of your own ships.

Exactly.

Didier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.