Subject: Online game to teach a newbie? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Cozzi
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules and I would like to play it online.

- Anyone interested trying it out with a newbie? Step by step?

- Any scenario is good

- Vassal or Cyberboard module? (I downloaded both)

Thanks

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be a new VASSAL module, since I last looked at the VASSAL modules of this game.

I did not find a way to assign players to the two different sides in that new module, neither did I find a way to use more than the basic game - the others seem to be extensions, but there is no obvious way to load those?

The unit graphics in the new module ... I do not like them. East Germans are gray, West Germans are gray. (East Germans should be red with white text, and west Germans should be green with black text. (edit - and that is only the worst example - all units look like they have been hand drawn again, and the colors have been changed in many places) Also, the map seems to be redrawn to look much worse than the previous Vassal module of this?)

However, the previous Vassal module of this was a horrible memory hog, and crashed regularly. So the new module might actually be the better one, if there is a way to allow two people to play it - two different sides.

The Cyberboard module worked fine when I tried it years ago. Setting it up to run on Linux under Wine might require a bit more effort than I am willing to pay now - but it worked fine years ago under Wine.

Well.. what I am trying to say, that I am possibly interested in playing this with you - I burned a lot of hours on this 30 years ago - but I am kind of sceptical about the state of the Vassal modules of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cozzi
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Petri,

I downloaded two Vassal modules:

- ThirdWW_1_65_b8
- GDW_Third_World_War_V3 (This one looks better)

Are these the same modules that you already tryed/have?

These modules are quite 'new' {06-4-2015}.

I found them here:
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:The_Third_World_War

Cheers

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, the v3 module is the one with the redone (!? Why?!) graphics and no clear way to choose the maps.

The other one, ThirdWW 1_65_b8.vmod, seems to be a more recent version of the one I tried before. The earlier version of it had the middle east as mandatory, if I remember correctly, and that was too much - some memory leak (maybe?) and the large map made it unusable.

But, the more recent one might work. I'll send a geek mail to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rainey
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
Did you read the comments on the module download site?

Quote:
Version 3 uses the artwork from the Yahoo.com TTWW group. Created by Steve Ford. Lots of work went into the art. The members of the Yahoo TTWW group helped with correcting the artwork and with playtesting the modules and extensions. Any mistakes are mine.

PLEASE down load the how to use PDF. It will help with the various functions and buttons in the module.

Plus did you read the pdf instruction sheet from the Vassal page?

The module used the 'new' graphics as that is what is available.

The Maps are identical to those that came with the game and they are not scans but original graphics.

The same graphic's guy did the counters. He picked the colors he did. I, the module designer, did not have the time it would take to make all the counters over.

You have to add the extensions in order to access those 'Games'. Load the module. Then in the main Vassal window right click on the game title and select 'Add Extension'. When the pop up opens navigate to where you saved the extensions and select one. Do the same again for the other three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like this mod over it's predecessor. Although I dislike the color choices for the units (too bland, too similar which poses problems when a nation becomes shaken/demoralize with air missions) and one minor artwork issue with the Romanian chits ( I think that was the one,) this module is vastly superior.
the disruptions are noted directly on the unit counters instead of separate counters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combatengineer wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it that there are people who volunteer their time for making modules for the old games, and I thank you for that.

However, as an owner of the original game(s), the changed graphics feel confusing and out of place for me - e.g. East Germans had a white unit symbol and black text on a bright red counter in the original game, and I see no reason to change that for a module.

Here is a comparison of the Cyberboard graphics and Vassal graphics, from setup, showing West Germans, Austrians and terrain.

The Cyberboard graphics are near 100% the same as the physical game, while the VASSAL graphics look like an entirely different game altogether, which I find distracting personally.

Cyberboard:

VASSAL:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erm..

This VASSAL module I was not convinced about earlier is a really good one. I wish to express my gratitude to you
John Rainey
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
for having done this excellent module!

We played a short learning game for a couple turns with Cyberboard, and that was so horrible compared to this.

This module has lots of really convenient features. I especially like:
- AZOC highlight
- disruptions and other effects on counters
- counter rotation to mark things
- and the normal VASSAL things which make VASSAL better than Cyberboard

Now we are playing "for real" the BfG+SF combination.

I noticed a couple of minor setup errors in some (not all) of the scenarios - Hungarian reinforcement divisions are not on the track in a couple of setups, the Soviet air units the PG grand campaign rules set aside from the initial BfG units as turn 1 reinforcements were missing in the BfG+SF setup, some NATO AF air units appear in BfG reinforcements.. minor things.

Maybe I should upload the fixed scenario setups to the files section here once I fix them. And maybe I might make the "Short BfG", "Just AF" and "BfG+SF+AF" setups, too.

Anyway, I was initially put off this only by an irrational prejudice against the new graphics. That too is all good now, I recolored the maps and some of the units for my own use, for the "classic" look:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemysław Mantay
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. How can I get the John Rainey's module from, to encounter all those beautiful utilities of that module?

2. Can anyone explain me the values on AIR UNITS?

S/M/L

and the three numbers on the right side:
(*)N
N
(*N)

Where N = number from 0 to 5; and what the asterisk (star) means?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Stalin wrote:
1. How can I get the John Rainey's module from, to encounter all those beautiful utilities of that module?

2. Can anyone explain me the values on AIR UNITS?

S/M/L

and the three numbers on the right side:
(*)N
N
(*N)

Where N = number from 0 to 5; and what the asterisk (star) means?

It's a vassal mod
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:The_Third_World_War
you want the 3.0 version. you will also need the three extensions.

Other part of your question was answered in another thread you posted to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemysław Mantay
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks!
I've also found lots of fantastic stuff for that game via other threads and posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.